• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key Magnus Robot Fighter Appreciation
2 2

15 posts in this topic

One of my favorites from the Silver Age is Gold Key’s Magnus Robot Fighter.  I fell in love with it when I saw Russ Manning’s art (especially the painted covers) and story which I thought was well beyond it’s time.  Post up some of your favorite Gold Key Magnus comics. 

I’ll start off with one of my Grails: Magnus Robot Fighter 1 CGC 9.0.  I have comics that are more expensive but this one has a special place in my heart given it’s rarity and beautiful painted cover.

Magnus.thumb.jpg.30f312b696fee2f34111de344a65caa3.jpg

7 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Russ Manning did not paint the covers.  Those were done in most cases by George Wilson.

Did not know that. Still awesome cover art nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

You are correct, this is a #36 reprint and not a number 8, the seller cut the pink out of the picture.

#8 would be a 12 center... CGC FAIL!

On 6/25/2018 at 2:30 PM, Blastaar said:

I just alerted them, again got it cheap but was not aware of the error until I read your post. Funny I just got it last night.

If you go through with this sale, be sure to check the slab for tampering- could be a #36 was inserted in what used to actually be a #8 slab...

Looking at the comicspriceguide checklist, there's a puzzler with no provided cover scan. It says there's a variant of #25 with the issue number on the cover. Anyone have one, know anything about it or have a scan/photo of it?