• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for the Matt Baker experts - Pop Teenagers 5

22 posts in this topic

I noticed that there's a CGC graded Pop Teenagers 5 in the upcoming auction. The CGC label designates Star Publications, but the insignia on the comic itself is Accepted Reprint. Is this a mistake by CGC? Can someone shed some light on this? I've seen people selling the Accepted Reprint version on eBay, and they seem to go in the $500-$600 range. Is a reprint really "worth" that much, or do these people not realize there's an earlier printing out there, rare as it may be?

7 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

I noticed that there's a CGC graded Pop Teenagers 5 in the upcoming auction. The CGC label designates Star Publications, but the insignia on the comic itself is Accepted Reprint. Is this a mistake by CGC? Can someone shed some light on this? I've seen people selling the Accepted Reprint version on eBay, and they seem to go in the $500-$600 range. Is a reprint really "worth" that much, or do these people not realize there's an earlier printing out there, rare as it may be?

Yes it is a big mistake.  One they should know better about, as I sent them an email last year bringing it to their attention.  But, seeing as my emails aren't always taken as the earth shattering messages I take them to be, geez louise it's right there on the dang cover, $^%*&^%!!!  Really hard to miss.

Back in the day the reprint would go for substantially less than the Star, but those days are gone and the difference in value has narrowed.  And yes both are true - in better grade they are worth that much or more, and also many don't know they're getting a reprint.  Sellers aint saying, either out of ignorance or greed, and auction houses aint saying, take your pick as the reason.  There is one very nice AR on Ebay and the seller is giving full disclosure and great pics too.

1 hour ago, RICK STARR said:

Here is the issue in question. Did not notice that it was a reprint until reading this thread. Thanks for the info!

5aeb47bfad5e6_POPTEEN5.thumb.jpg.06802f7d09626591578f0d19e028d8b3.jpg

Still a great copy!

Edited by AuthorJamesMichaelRice

On 5/1/2018 at 12:50 PM, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

I sent an email to CLink and they added a note to the auction within the hour. I feel better now.... I hate seeing someone get screwed. 

No one bidding on this book would have been paying Star prices, anyone interested and paying good money would have realized this was a mistake - plainly the accepted reprint. 

Still its good Clink added the note.

For what its worth 3-4 of the reprints pop on ebay every year, usually in decent shape. 

A star copy shows up far less frequently.

1 minute ago, Dr. Love said:

I disagree, Johnny.  See Rick Starr's post above - and he's a very very knowledgeable collector.  Many have no idea.  All the check layers at CGC missed it continually, and still do.

Could be right, I know Jon knows his way around a comic.

I just suspect if the bidding got higher the scrutiny would pick up and the issue would be revealed, but who knows.

I am a total newb in Golden Age/early Silver comics, but I have tried to educate myself on these and other message boards, as well as conducting my own research online and in OS price guides. That said, the only reason the AR version came to my attention is because an honest seller on eBay made this distinction in his listing. Considering the CLink auction stated it was a Star Publication, which is supported by the CGC label (which, in the auction listing, is much easier to read than the AR insignia), I do think people could make that mistake, which is why I asked for clarification. 

Are the insides the same in the Accepted Publications one? There are Accepted reprint versions of a lot of Star funny animal titles too and the insides are completely different than the originals, they just stuck the covers on lots of random insides.