• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC v. Company X
4 4

134 posts in this topic

So ... I had some Company X books that I thought I would send in to CGC to see what's what, who's who, and where's where.  The grades for the first group just posted.

Here are the results

Action 58 

Company X grade:  7.0 OW-W

CGC grade:  6.5 C-1 :cry: OW

Action 111

Company X:  7.5 OW

CGC: 7.0 OW

Adventure Comics 43

Company X: 8.0 CR-OW

CGC: 7.0 CR-OW

Captain Marvel, Jr. 27

Company X: 9.2 OW-W

CGC: 9.0 OW

Funny Picture Stories 7

Company X:  5.5 OW-W

CGC: 5.0 OW-W

It's still early in the season, but 0 for 5 ain't good. 

Yeah, that one was fun ... not!  If this thread survives, I'll post the other grade comparisons as they become available.

I have to admit that I was surprised that not even one of these five books managed to hold its grade.  At least only two of five got a worse pq! :)

I am actually not surprised by these conversions. I feel like CGC has harder grading standards than any other company. I'm not a betting man but I would bet that about 99% of the time the grade is going be the same or lower if you take a slab from company X to be regraded by CGC. My condolences on the lower grades. 

:gossip:

1 minute ago, DjMartini said:

I am actually not surprised by these conversions. I feel like CGC has harder grading standards than any other company. I'm not a betting man but I would bet that about 99% of the time the grade is going be the same or lower if you take a slab from company X to be regraded by CGC. My condolences on the lower grades. 

:gossip:

I think that reflects in the buying market as well. I see they all hold a lower value, like people realize there's at least a half a point to a point extra there.

That purple had to hurt. :p

23 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, that one was fun ... not!  If this thread survives, I'll post the other grade comparisons as they become available.

I have to admit that I was surprised that not even one of these five books managed to hold its grade.  At least only two of five got a worse pq! :)

I wouldn't ever ask anyone the price of what they paid for a book, for the purpose of your comparison here it would be interesting to know if you can let us know if you still got a fair deal on these books assuming that you paid a lot less for the company X books to begin with.

If you only paid 60-70% of the price of an equivalently graded Cgc copy you may still have made out well with these, the action 58 not withstanding.

Edited by szavisca

Is X in the grading company's name or are you referring to Voldemort?  With X I won't buy the book unless the owner subbed it and can guarantee that its unrestored.  With Voldemort, it can depend, but I often expect a .5 downgrade.

10 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IF X is in the companies name you did AMAZING!!! My X experiences have been MUCH worse than your results. 

Nope.  X is not in the company's name.

33 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I wouldn't ever ask anyone the price of what they paid for a book, for the purpose of your comparison here it would be interesting to know if you can let us know if you still got a fair deal on these books assuming that you paid a lot less for the company X books to begin with.

If you only paid 60-70% of the price of an equivalently graded Cgc copy you may still have made out well with these, the action 58 not withstanding.

It varied.  I know I bought the Cap Jr 27 shortly after Company X opened their doors.  So, I'm pretty sure I paid the equivalent price for a CGC copy.  I don't remember any of these being screaming bargains -- certainly not 30% to 40% less than a CGC copy.  I'll have to check my files. 

37 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

depends on when the x book was graded; i feel pretty comfortable in saying x has tightened-up lately.

I'm pretty sure the Action 58 was graded within the past six months.  I can check that, though.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

So ... I had some Company X books that I thought I would send in to CGC to see what's what, who's who, and where's where.  The grades for the first group just posted.

Here are the results

Action 58 

Company X grade:  7.0 OW-W

CGC grade:  6.5 C-1 :cry: OW

Action 111

Company X:  7.5 OW

CGC: 7.0 OW

Adventure Comics 43

Company X: 8.0 CR-OW

CGC: 7.0 CR-OW

Captain Marvel, Jr. 27

Company X: 9.2 OW-W

CGC: 9.0 OW

Funny Picture Stories 7

Company X:  5.5 OW-W

CGC: 5.0 OW-W

It's still early in the season, but 0 for 5 ain't good. 

I guess all those “OW’s” are subconsciously synonymous with “ouches”?

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It varied.  I know I bought the Cap Jr 27 shortly after Company X opened their doors.  So, I'm pretty sure I paid the equivalent price for a CGC copy.  I don't remember any of these being screaming bargains -- certainly not 30% to 40% less than a CGC copy.  I'll have to check my files. 

Oh I mistakenly assumed X was in the company name too and that you got huge discounts... 

Edited by szavisca

stop using CS company after complaining that St John books are miscut and not trimmed, they graded my st john book trimmed 6.0 cracked open send it to be pressed forward to cgc return universal 7.0 (thumbsu

ps email- had small conversation with the boss forward images before and after, nothing was done???ignored. Bye Bye>>>CS company. multiple CS books now under fresh CGC case. 

Edited by kat123

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

:whatthe: Is company X company X or you talking company XXX as company X ?

minds want to know it.jpg

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Assuming that the books started off in X slabs and were cracked out and submitted, you were surprised because you agreed completely with X grades?  and were looking for resto and still don't quite get where the C1 is coming from?  Also, as regards PQ, I do think CGC has tightened up there as well, although OWW and OW are pretty interchangeable depending on day, time, and what was for lunch.

I strongly prefer CGC's tighter (i.e., more accurate) grading than any other company's inflated grades. Most collectors are savvy enough by now to spot an over-graded book, making such an item more difficult to sell.

For example, a dealer has a Company X book at 8.0. I examine the book and see it's more like a 7.0. Yet the dealer has it priced (whatever that may be) as if it was an 8.0. No sale.

Give me CGC every time.

19 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I strongly prefer CGC's tighter (i.e., more accurate) grading than any other company's inflated grades. Most collectors are savvy enough by now to spot an over-graded book, making such an item more difficult to sell.

For example, a dealer has a Company X book at 8.0. I examine the book and see it's more like a 7.0. Yet the dealer has it priced (whatever that may be) as if it was an 8.0. No sale.

Give me CGC every time.

Me, too.  My Company X books are primarily either ones I bought fresh out of the gate before I realized the overgrading problem or books like Adventure 43 or FPS 7 that are tough to find.  The Action 58 was one of those, "I'll take a chance and hope for the best" purchases because it's a book that's really heated up and I had been outbid on the last few copies that came up for auction.