• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC v. Company X
4 4

134 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2018 at 11:46 AM, szavisca said:

Oh I mistakenly assumed X was in the company name too and that you got huge discounts... 

If X were in the company's name, we wouldn't be talking about 0.5- or 1-point differences in grade. We'd be talking about how many books actually had all of their pages.

I know some of you do not venture into the wild west AKA Comics General. But there is a discussion among long time submitters that CGC is currently irrationally tight on grading. What this is due to? Who knows.. I would guess that the change in modern graders would be one part, but I know that in general people have said those tweener books stopped going in the submitters favor. So I am not at all surprised to read the results. I have found, if anything company X has been consistent with any books of mine they have graded, and 95% of my books fell at or about where I expected. 

The biggest issue isnt that the two companies grades aren't the same, but that you can submit the same book over and over and get different results each time. This is why people are crying for consistency. I would bet the books in this thread could be cracked out and graded on site and get the same grade as company X or better.

I made my first venture in submitting to the other side just to get my own perspective.   Submission is in process of being graded now but I will say it has already been a poor experience.  Their customer service is sorely lacking and althoigh I called before I subbed a couple of non-comic but comic related books asking if they would encapsulate them which I was told yes.  The rep even asked a grader while I was on the phone to confirm.  

Well those have been rejected and I am likely being charges a reject fee per book.  The rep that told me this was acerbic and smug, imo.  

I only sent three items in to test the waters so one is being graded.  I think I am staying here.  I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with CGC's customer service.  I may not always agree with the grading but good customer service goes a long way to keeping customers in any business.  

15 hours ago, telerites said:

I made my first venture in submitting to the other side just to get my own perspective.   Submission is in process of being graded now but I will say it has already been a poor experience.  Their customer service is sorely lacking and althoigh I called before I subbed a couple of non-comic but comic related books asking if they would encapsulate them which I was told yes.  The rep even asked a grader while I was on the phone to confirm.  

Well those have been rejected and I am likely being charges a reject fee per book.  The rep that told me this was acerbic and smug, imo.  

I only sent three items in to test the waters so one is being graded.  I think I am staying here.  I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with CGC's customer service.  I may not always agree with the grading but good customer service goes a long way to keeping customers in any business.  

I have the same experience, but with the companies reversed. I am sure they would scrub the rejection fee though. Either way, good luck, and please share your results.

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

I have the same experience, but with the companies reversed. I am sure they would scrub the rejection fee though. Either way, good luck, and please share your results.

The rep I spoke with told me only Dan ? Beckett makes the decision to waive the $4 per book reject fee.  That certainly didn't sound right.  I repeatedly said I called prior to sending the books in and was told they could be graded.  During that earlier call, the rep even asked a grader to confirm.  I actually knew nothing about the $4 reject per book fee which I guess is my error but for this submission I thought all was good.

The worst part to me during the call was the rep said there must have been miscommunication regarding the acceptance and grading of the two books, seeming to imply it was my error (at least I took it that way).  I asked how he could know since he was not part of that earlier conversation.  His response was terse and rude, imo.  He continued to state there was miscommunication.  It was not a pleasant experience and I closed with "this was my first submission as I always use CGC and not only was this my first but would also be my last." 

If I fully believed in conspiracy theories, he probably tagged the one book that was accepted and it will receive a "the owner of this book is a jerk" low grade.  

15 minutes ago, telerites said:

The rep I spoke with told me only Dan ? Beckett makes the decision to waive the $4 per book reject fee.  That certainly didn't sound right.  I repeatedly said I called prior to sending the books in and was told they could be graded.  During that earlier call, the rep even asked a grader to confirm.  I actually knew nothing about the $4 reject per book fee which I guess is my error but for this submission I thought all was good.

The worst part to me during the call was the rep said there must have been miscommunication regarding the acceptance and grading of the two books, seeming to imply it was my error (at least I took it that way).  I asked how he could know since he was not part of that earlier conversation.  His response was terse and rude, imo.  He continued to state there was miscommunication.  It was not a pleasant experience and I closed with "this was my first submission as I always use CGC and not only was this my first but would also be my last." 

If I fully believed in conspiracy theories, he probably tagged the one book that was accepted and it will receive a "the owner of this book is a jerk" low grade.  

That's terrible, sorry to hear that. And I am with you on conspiracy theories.. Good Luck!! :shy:

Not to beat this thing to death but here are four more books that trickled back.  Since Company X had a better showing with these, I thought they were worth posting. ("Better showing" meaning that their grades were closer to CGC's grades, for whatever that's worth.)

Detective Comics 171

Company X 4.5 White

CGC 4.5 OW-W

Win-A-Prize Comics 1

Company X 5.0 OW-W

CGC 5.0 OW

Wings 118

Company X 9.0 OW

CGC 9.0 OW

Woody Woodpecker in Chevrolet Wonderland :insane:

Company X 5.5 OW-W

CGC 5.0  OW

So ... for three out of these four books, the grade was the same, and for one the CGC grade was lower.  For three of these four books the CGC pq was lower, and for one it was the same. 

2 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

When you submit these, do you de-slab them first? 

No. I rely on CGC's assurance that the graders receive them out of the slab with no indication of the other company's grade.

I just submitted 5 books previously graded by Company X and here are the results:

Crypt Of Terror #18

Company X: 5.5 Cream-Off White

CGC: 5.0 Cream-Off White

Batman #42

Company X: 7.0 White

CGC: 7.0 White

Batman #48

Company X: 8.5 White

CGC: 8.0 White

Batman #69

Company X: 5.0 White

CGC: 5.5 White

Showcase #14

Company X: 5.0 Off White-White

CGC: 5.0 Off White-White

I’m really happy with the results. Two books came back a half a grade lower, one book came back a half a grade higher, and two books came back the same grade. All of the books came back with the exact same page quality.

Edited by Ghastly542454

22 hours ago, valiantman said:

As long as there isn't a "PG" in front of that "X", there's little worry of undisclosed restoration.

Check out my first post in this thread.