• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Are My Comics Coming Back with Bad Newton Rings?
1 1

76 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Not A Clone said:

Yeah I tried the paper trick but all of my slabs are the newer type. I wouldn't want a hole drilled in my case either because now you have a damaged case to deal with lol. I noticed it happening on a slab that was laying flat for awhile. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not or if it's just the way it was slabbed. 

From your comment about the slab laying flat, I wonder if you are onto something. Maybe they leave CGC okay but in the process of shipping, they develop the Newton rings. Maybe from pressure or laying flat ?

On 5/26/2018 at 12:22 AM, finalfan7asy said:

I just purchased a 9.8 book that was graded on 4/18/18. It has more Newton rings than all my other graded books combined. However, I don’t view these as defects, but they are annoying to look at.

I think you have the right idea about putting closeups of the image. Hopeful those who would complain about the Newton rings won’t purchase it after seeing them in your listing.

I want to be looking at the book not having my eyes got to the Newton rings.  It can cost a lot of money to get a book slabbed so why can't they figure out what's wrong and fix it?

12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

From your comment about the slab laying flat, I wonder if you are onto something. Maybe they leave CGC okay but in the process of shipping, they develop the Newton rings. Maybe from pressure or laying flat ?

I'm wondering now if I lay them face down if the rings will go away eventually, if that is what actually caused it. I just pulled a few out of a CGC box and didn't notice any rings on those.  

On 6/1/2018 at 6:48 PM, pemart1966 said:
On 5/26/2018 at 12:22 AM, finalfan7asy said:

I just purchased a 9.8 book that was graded on 4/18/18. It has more Newton rings than all my other graded books combined. However, I don’t view these as defects, but they are annoying to look at.

I think you have the right idea about putting closeups of the image. Hopeful those who would complain about the Newton rings won’t purchase it after seeing them in your listing.

I want to be looking at the book not having my eyes got to the Newton rings.  It can cost a lot of money to get a book slabbed so why can't they figure out what's wrong and fix it?

You're making the assumption that they want to fix it. What's their incentive to do something about this? And don't say because it's the right thing to do because they obviously aren't taking that approach. The submissions keep rolling in. The $$$ keep rolling in.

I've been on this board for almost 13 years and in all that time, people have complained about CGC for any number of reasons but people still keep suckling at the teat and submitting books, despite all the complaints. 

Edited by Jerkfro

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

You're making the assumption that they want to fix it. What's their incentive to do something about this? And don't say because it's the right thing to do because they obviously aren't taking that approach. The submissions keep rolling in. The $$$ keep rolling in.

I've been on this board for almost 13 years and in all that time, people have complained about CGC for any number of reasons but people still keep suckling at the teat and submitting books, despite all the complaints. 

I agree.

What I wonder now is if in the not so distant future:consider equal grade copies of books will non newton books get a higher premium because they display better?

10 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I agree.

What I wonder now is if in the not so distant future:consider equal grade copies of books will non newton books get a higher premium because they display better?

If I purchased a book even half as bad as the last 9 I got back from CGC, I would demand a refund.

It looks like trash to display it with 50+% of the cover with rings. 

On 5/3/2018 at 11:26 AM, SilverSniper said:

and you can often clear them out by simply snaking a piece of paper into the slab from the side and separating the mylar from the front of the slab. 

Do you do this with the newer slabs?

It will not affect the value of the book

You sure about this?

12 hours ago, Gaard said:

It will not affect the value of the book

You sure about this?

It really shouldn't as the rings are a part of the case and not the comic. However.... there are people who won't buy slabs that exhibit newton rings. Significant ringing could make the comic less sellable.

As was mentioned before, I would (and have) returned a book because of those rings. I understand it doesn't have any effect on the book itself, but if I spend money on something (especially a large amount of money), I want to be happy with my purchase.

I guess technically "value" and "sellable" mean different things. But I can't help wonder if people are hesitant to buy CGC slabs due to these rings. I wonder if anyone is buying slabs from across the street because of this? (Can we even say 'across the street' anymore due to the move?)

17 minutes ago, Gaard said:

As was mentioned before, I would (and have) returned a book because of those rings. I understand it doesn't have any effect on the book itself, but if I spend money on something (especially a large amount of money), I want to be happy with my purchase.

I guess technically "value" and "sellable" mean different things. But I can't help wonder if people are hesitant to buy CGC slabs due to these rings. I wonder if anyone is buying slabs from across the street because of this? (Can we even say 'across the street' anymore due to the move?)

Sure, they very well could be. I have to imagine that no newton rings is more desirable than newton rings. It does not affect the value of the book, but certainly there's at least one person who won't buy because of it.  In that case they would basically have to stay away from CGC slabs entirely.

I hadn't tried it with no slabs, so I pulled one out and yeah; super tight on the sides.

I refuse to buy any slab with the defect. I would instantly return any book that has this issue. It’s a defected product. The service is to protect and to ensure a displayable piece with their grading and encapsulation. ‘Hey man looks like someone spilled some dish detergent in your slab.’ Awesome. 

If it looks like to some weird oil ring looking things, it’s a defective product and a failed service. The rest is poor excuses in this thread. I get that cgc has a monopoly ‘and the money keeps rollin in’ as others have mentioned but it’s poor business practice regardless. I have a very large collection of Beckett and PGS graded cards that use sonic sealing as well and I have never, ever seen this effect in graded cards. Ever. The problem is that there is a mass of collectors that just accept this - then offer solutions like shoving a piece of paper in the slab to fix it. Seriously? How about the issue gets looked at with some severity by cgc. Overall I like their services, but the ring issue is a very serious lack of care by the business.

Edited by MTG_comiccollector
Poor grammar per usual

10 hours ago, MTG_comiccollector said:

I refuse to buy any slab with the defect. I would instantly return any book that has this issue. It’s a defected product. The service is to protect and to ensure a displayable piece with their grading and encapsulation. ‘Hey man looks like someone spilled some dish detergent in your slab.’ Awesome. 

If it looks like to some weird oil ring looking things, it’s a defective product and a failed service. The rest is poor excuses in this thread. I get that cgc has a monopoly ‘and the money keeps rollin in’ as others have mentioned but it’s poor business practice regardless. I have a very large collection of Beckett and PGS graded cards that use sonic sealing as well and I have never, ever seen this effect in graded cards. Ever. The problem is that there is a mass of collectors that just accept this - then offer solutions like shoving a piece of paper in the slab to fix it. Seriously? How about the issue gets looked at with some severity by cgc. Overall I like their services, but the ring issue is a very serious lack of care by the business.

The issue doesn't show up in cards because there is no plastic to plastic contact.  Newton rings are a refractory-type optical effect caused by plastic to plastic contact. It is not a defect because it doesn't affect the comic or the security of the case.  It's cool if you don't like it, and its cool if you avoid books that show them.  But its like getting upset that your box of popsicles has frost on the outside.  It looks bad, but it doesn't affect the popsicles inside.  There is nothing anyone can do to fix science and make newton rings not appear (at least not under the current design of the holder).

Finally, your statement that they are to "ensure a displayable piece" is not accurate. CGC grades and encapsulates comic books. They do not agree to met anyone's standard of "displayability." Again, it is your prerogative to avoid the product, but not liking something does not make it defective.  

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

The issue doesn't show up in cards because there is no plastic to plastic contact.  Newton rings are a refractory-type optical effect caused by plastic to plastic contact. It is not a defect because it doesn't affect the comic or the security of the case.  It's cool if you don't like it, and its cool if you avoid books that show them.  But its like getting upset that your box of popsicles has frost on the outside.  It looks bad, but it doesn't affect the popsicles inside.  There is nothing anyone can do to fix science and make newton rings not appear (at least not under the current design of the holder).

Finally, your statement that they are to "ensure a displayable piece" is not accurate. CGC grades and encapsulates comic books. They do not agree to met anyone's standard of "displayability." Again, it is your prerogative to avoid the product, but not liking something does not make it defective.  

Maybe the card grading companies don’t want their cases to look like mess so they don’t double plastic. Maybe if they did they would build out small extrusions to seperat the the two by a mm. There are a mass of smart solutions out there. Is it that complex to accept that there could be another solution? Should all businesses give up when they put out a product that receives complaints?

your analogy with a popsicle box is moronic. I’m not sure it’s even worth entertaining since it’s so distant. Feel free to try again if you can muster up some more wit.

If you believe there is no parallels to displayability to slabbed collectibles, I am not sure what to tell you. Good luck selling your dish soap slabs. You’re starting to just sound like some company shill. Yawn.

Edited by MTG_comiccollector
On phone w/auto correct ooooops

46 minutes ago, MTG_comiccollector said:

Maybe the card grading companies don’t want their cases to look like mess so they don’t double plastic. Maybe if they did they would build out small extrusions to seperat the the two by a mm. There are a mass of smart solutions out there. Is it that complex to accept that there could be another solution? Should all businesses give up when they put out a product that receives complaints?

your analogy with a popsicle box is moronic. I’m not sure it’s even worth entertaining since it’s so distant. Feel free to try again if you can muster up some more wit.

If you believe there is no parallels to displayability to slabbed collectibles, I am not sure what to tell you. Good luck selling your dish soap slabs. You’re starting to just sound like some company shill. Yawn.

I'm really sorry that you are so bitter and angry, and that the rainbow effect created by two pieces of plastic touching could cause you such obvious displeasure.  I hope against all hope that you can somehow find a way to plow through this tragic set of circumstances and muster the strength to carry on your important crusade against newton rings. May the displayability of all collectibles improve under your watchful and vigilant eye.  It's noble work you are doing, MTG_comiccollector.  Godspeed!   

47 minutes ago, MTG_comiccollector said:

First off, a little tact goes a long way towards establishing a meaningful dialogue on the issue.  Devolving into aggressive and argumentative tones is a surefire to way to get sidetracked or to kill a conversation altogether.

That said, welcome to the boards.

(Oh, and as for the discussion at hand regarding Newton Rings, I believe CGC's primary purpose is certification (and in the case of CGC SS, authentication).  Newton rings are an issue, but more so to some than others.  I personally don't care as much.  So long as the case effectively protects my high value books (something that could admittedly be accomplished with mylites for less money) and CGC is a trusted source to certify/authenticate my books, that's all that really matters to me.  I get that some people view it like a picture frame (and no one's gonna buy a picture frame that doesn't clearly showcase what's behind the glass).  But, to each their own.)

2 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I'm really sorry that you are so bitter and angry, and that the rainbow effect created by two pieces of plastic touching could cause you such obvious displeasure.  I hope against all hope that you can somehow find a way to plow through this tragic set of circumstances and muster the strength to carry on your important crusade against newton rings. May the displayability of all collectibles improve under your watchful and vigilant eye.  It's noble work you are doing, MTG_comiccollector.  Godspeed!   

Low energy response.

I’m not bitter and angry, my life is wonderful. Poor products should be called out, this is how the world turns. If you cant understand why people would complain and scratch their heads about a paid service giving a product that has a valid issue surfacing over and over - I’m not sure what to tell you. Again, there are multiple obvious solutions. World improved by finding problems and giving solutions. This is a problem, period.

7 minutes ago, MTG_comiccollector said:

Low energy response.

I’m not bitter and angry, my life is wonderful. Poor products should be called out, this is how the world turns. If you cant understand why people would complain and scratch their heads about a paid service giving a product that has a valid issue surfacing over and over - I’m not sure what to tell you. Again, there are multiple obvious solutions. World improved by finding problems and giving solutions. This is a problem, period.

You don't care about science and you don't care that CGC doesn't care. And you don't care that 85% of the people that buy the things don't care.  Until it hits CGC's bottom line, they are not going to care, and at this point I no longer care about the discussion.  I also think you are a tool.