• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Are My Comics Coming Back with Bad Newton Rings?
1 1

76 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2018 at 3:41 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

The irony of "be fair" should not be missed, but if we're truly trying to "be fair", it must be noted that CGC's official statement about their "Crystal-clear display" is a reference to the clarity of the new holder...not the presence or absence of Newton rings.

The clarity of the new holder is, in fact, a substantial and evident improvement over the old holder, immediately obvious when holding the two in hand and comparing. The Newton rings will certainly affect the presentation of the book, but the clarity of the plastic is not hindered by them.

In the interest of fairness, if that's really the goal....

That is fair. However, that clarity is often canceled out or severely inhibited by the Newton Rings and that's the rub. 

Again, there are multiple solutions and there is and obvious problem. Science, facts, creativity (solutions) were accepted. I noted I understood the issue, and noted some solutions like creating extrusions by .5 mm, and what do you know...cgc made an announcement 4 days ago, noting the problem, people are not happy about it, and that they are working towards a solution. And their solution is basically the first suggestion I made. Hearing about the problem and creating a solution, this  is what good businesses do. So thinking that 85% (made up stat) of people are fine with it, no need for solution, science/facts denies a solution, were all wrong. Also, trying to convince the community that they should live with it hinders the company from hearing about the problem. Bring on the crappy memes while cgc makes improvements! 

Edited by MTG_comiccollector
iPhone spell check issues

19 hours ago, MTG_comiccollector said:

Again, there are multiple solutions and there is and obvious problem. Science, facts, creativity (solutions) were accepted. I noted I understood the issue, and noted some solutions like creating extrusions by .5 mm, and what do you know...cgc made an announcement 4 days ago, noting the problem, people are not happy about it, and that they are working towards a solution. And their solution is basically the first suggestion I made. Hearing about the problem and creating a solution, this  is what good businesses do. So thinking that 85% (made up stat) of people are fine with it, no need for solution, science/facts denies a solution, were all wrong. Also, trying to convince the community that they should live with it hinders the company from hearing about the problem. Bring on the crappy memes while cgc makes improvements! 

Actually, you were a ranting, insulting tool - a characteristic consistently displayed throughout all of your communication.  My mind was changed fairly easily, in light of CGC touting the clarity of its cases in its marketing materials.  Newton rings obscure the clarity of the cases.  That is a quantifiable deviation from what they are purporting to put into the marketplace.  I was not aware of this marketing material. Marwood brought it to my attention, civilly.  This entire situation is a microcosm of the widening gulf in civility in discourse. People can't disagree without marginalizing, name calling and abuse.  It's sad.  And you are a tool.     

7 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Actually, you were a ranting, insulting tool - a characteristic consistently displayed throughout all of your communication.  My mind was changed fairly easily, in light of CGC touting the clarity of its cases in its marketing materials.  Newton rings obscure the clarity of the cases.  That is a quantifiable deviation from what they are purporting to put into the marketplace.  I was not aware of this marketing material. Marwood brought it to my attention, civilly.  This entire situation is a microcosm of the widening gulf in civility in discourse. People can't disagree without marginalizing, name calling and abuse.  It's sad.  And you are a tool.     

Newton Rings do not obscure the clarity of the plastic material. In fact, Newton Rings are an undesired result of the co-material transparency.

Edited by TwoPiece

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Newton Rings do not obscure the clarity of the plastic material. In fact, Newton Rings are an undesired result of the material transparency.

That certainly may be correct, but I am not talking about the clarity of the plastic, rather the clarity of the case - the ability of the comic to be clearly seen through the case.  The Newton rings obscure that clarity.

Just now, seanfingh said:

That certainly may be correct, but I am not talking about the clarity of the plastic, rather the clarity of the case - the ability of the comic to be clearly seen through the case.  The Newton rings obscure that clarity.

I won't dispute that.

When discussing CGC's promotion of the case clarity, though, I think that the production intent has to be considered. They green-lit better and "more clear" materials. So their cases are more clear, but the material mating causes light interference that we don't want. I'm not sure what kind of verification they did, if any at all (IMO they should have), but most places with composite material production has some sort of Materials/Quality Engineer on-staff to oversee these types of operations. It's possible that all they did was verify the outer case and its' clarity from the source (typical protocol). After that, though, they should have gone through an assembly run. Maybe this process yielded no Newton Ring results. I find that unlikely. Maybe the results were minimal and within subjective visual tolerance. Idk. We may never know. I don't think they're being purposefully misleading with the clarity of their cases, though.

Another rantrant.

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I won't dispute that.

When discussing CGC's promotion of the case clarity, though, I think that the production intent has to be considered. They green-lit better and "more clear" materials. So their cases are more clear, but the material mating causes light interference that we don't want. I'm not sure what kind of verification they did, if any at all (IMO they should have), but most places with composite material production has some sort of Materials/Quality Engineer on-staff to oversee these types of operations. It's possible that all they did was verify the outer case and its' clarity from the source (typical protocol). After that, though, they should have gone through an assembly run. Maybe this process yielded no Newton Ring results. I find that unlikely. Maybe the results were minimal and within subjective visual tolerance. Idk. We may never know. I don't think they're being purposefully misleading with the clarity of their cases, though.

Another rantrant.

I agree with you - I don't think there is anything purposeful about it. The new cases with no newton rings are just beautiful.

On 7/20/2022 at 2:44 PM, nino70 said:

I see you this way if it comes back with the Newton  rings they getting  the books back and they got to fix it I didn’t pay all that money for nothing and you should do the same that goes for everyone

YOU'RE BACK! WELCOME! 🥳