• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Are My Comics Coming Back with Bad Newton Rings?
1 1

76 posts in this topic

I'm currently in the process of grading out a collection, but I've gotten about 20 books back and about a dozen of them have noticeable newton rings.

A couple of them are terrible. I'm worried that a buyer might return or ask for a discount. 

How can I avoid them and why does CGC not QC these and/or allow free rehold?

IMG_5082 (3).jpg

Unfortunately that's common and to my best knowledge no buyer ever considered it a flaw which would justify any sort of a discount. I personally agree that they don't look too good and in a way they do bother me but I came to accept that it's just the way it is. As long as it has no affect on the book (shrug)

2 hours ago, SpiderJunkie said:

Unfortunately that's common and to my best knowledge no buyer ever considered it a flaw which would justify any sort of a discount. I personally agree that they don't look too good and in a way they do bother me but I came to accept that it's just the way it is. As long as it has no affect on the book (shrug)

Thanks for the reply. I just don't know why they don't re-do them when the book is a total mess (especially the front). I'm certain it's going to hurt the sell-ability. I'm intentionally putting close ups of the defects, I don't want to deal with returns and/or having the conversation with buyers about newton rings.

If I bought a high end book and it had this level of display flaws.  -- I am 100% certain I would want a refund. 

2 hours ago, Snyder.698 said:

Thanks for the reply. I just don't know why they don't re-do them when the book is a total mess (especially the front). I'm certain it's going to hurt the sell-ability. I'm intentionally putting close ups of the defects, I don't want to deal with returns and/or having the conversation with buyers about newton rings.

If I bought a high end book and it had this level of display flaws.  -- I am 100% certain I would want a refund. 

And you may not get that refund. The rings are common in CGC slabs and most collectors know this. We don't consider it a defect, just an annoyance, and you can often clear them out by simply snaking a piece of paper into the slab from the side and separating the mylar from the front of the slab.  It will not affect the value of the book, though I agree that it's annoying.

Edited by SilverSniper

4 hours ago, Snyder.698 said:

What is a display flaw? 

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

What is a display flaw? 

It's like an actual flaw but completely a made up term. 

Edited by comix4fun

On 5/1/2018 at 11:44 AM, Snyder.698 said:

I'm currently in the process of grading out a collection, but I've gotten about 20 books back and about a dozen of them have noticeable newton rings.

A couple of them are terrible. I'm worried that a buyer might return or ask for a discount. 

IMG_5082 (3).jpg

I would be more concerned with the ink smear on that date stamp. Did you have this book pressed ? The smeared date stamp has the look of an overzealous press. The Newton rings are really not even there. It's really not a big deal. I love date stamps but I would not buy a book with a smeared date stamp like that.

Most of the ink smears I've ever encountered are from the stamping and not letting the stamp dry before putting another copy on top. I can't tell you how many copies of comics I see with smeared date stamps transferred onto back covers.

As for the newton ring question, not sure if you understood it clearly. The ring is formed between the shell and the soft plastic below it. There is no actual ring on the comic and has no effect on its condition. Thus the suggestion of sliding a piece of paper between shell and plastic.

As for reholdering, it's called expense. The holders themselves are rather expensive and each "crackout" costs money. Unless there is something major like a piece of plastic, hair, crack, or something else really wrong, it's not being cracked out and reholdered.

On 5/3/2018 at 2:35 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I would be more concerned with the ink smear on that date stamp. Did you have this book pressed ? The smeared date stamp has the look of an overzealous press. The Newton rings are really not even there. It's really not a big deal. I love date stamps but I would not buy a book with a smeared date stamp like that.

That's not a smear, it's a double stamp.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:24 PM, Philflound said:

As for reholdering, it's called expense. The holders themselves are rather expensive and each "crackout" costs money. Unless there is something major like a piece of plastic, hair, crack, or something else really wrong, it's not being cracked out and reholdered.

Yup.

On 5/14/2018 at 7:26 PM, Snyder.698 said:

I appreciate all the comments.

I understand now that the community accepts this level of quality without concern. It's just what you get it. 

Although the buyer of a CGC comic I sold on eBay DID not accept the quality. Had to eat both shipping to and return. 

Sounds like the buyer was just uninformed. I get that not everyone is going to know this stuff (I was a bit concerned the first time I saw rings on one of my books), but did you explain what it really is and how it can be (rather easily) resolved?

On 5/1/2018 at 11:44 AM, Snyder.698 said:

I just purchased a 9.8 book that was graded on 4/18/18. It has more Newton rings than all my other graded books combined. However, I don’t view these as defects, but they are annoying to look at.

I think you have the right idea about putting closeups of the image. Hopeful those who would complain about the Newton rings won’t purchase it after seeing them in your listing.

Maybe use 1/64 drill bit to drill through the corner of the case to let air out and make the newton rings disappeared.

(I noticed three confused faces here. It's a mere joke. I don't think someone will do it. Me neither. (:).  

Edited by JollyComics

15 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Have you tried this?

I'm sure he's joking. There used to be a trick you could use on the older generation slabs that opened up slightly on the sides. You could open a side up and slide a piece of paper in there and it would remove the Newton Rings. Worked every time. The trouble is the new case design is too snug. (shrug)

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm sure he's joking. There used to be a trick you could use on the older generation slabs that opened up slightly on the sides. You could open a side up and slide a piece of paper in there and it would remove the Newton Rings. Worked every time. The trouble is the new case design is too snug. (shrug)

Yeah I tried the paper trick but all of my slabs are the newer type. I wouldn't want a hole drilled in my case either because now you have a damaged case to deal with lol. I noticed it happening on a slab that was laying flat for awhile. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not or if it's just the way it was slabbed.