• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which to buy? ASM 238 or Mister Miracle 4
1 1

43 posts in this topic

So, I have an opportunity to buy an Amazing Spiderman 238 with tattoos in about 9.0 condition for $80. Or a Mister Miracle 4 in about 8.0-8.5 possibly a 9.0 for $60. Which book has more upside potential and appreciation? My gut tells me to buy the ASM 238. How much can this book grow? Is the Hobgoblin a character with potential or is he peaking now? Same goes for MM 4, will the book continue to grow with the release of the New Gods movie or is it also topping out with the news of the movie? Is Big Barda a more impoetant character than Hobgoblin? I know that Spider-man is here to stay and one of the biggest characters in all of comics. I can't say the same for MM or Big Barda, this series has been relatively cheap since its arrival. 

So if any of you could only buy one book, which would it be and why? How far do you think either can go in regards to popularity and value? Thank you all in advance for any input!

6 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I dont know about upside to anything , but if you like a character go for your gut.

I love the Hobgoblin as a Spidey villain, so I would be biased.

Yup.

I like both characters and have one copy of each book.

I wish I could afford them all, but unfortunately that is not possible so I am a Marvel collector

Can someone please explain the significance of MM #4?

As for ASM # 238, unless he is in a movie hobgoblin is where it should be. Not seeing upside potential there. The Canadian version is a bit tougher to find and a step below that is the newsstand version. If this is the direct it is very common. You can get that any time

Edited by NP_Gresham

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

ASM 238 has had a natural, organic growth based on no tangible movie hype (although there certainly are folks who speculate on Hobby's potential now that Spidey is in the MCU). That's where I'd put my money. For me, he was THE Spidey villain of the 80's.

Exactly.

:gossip: It's not the 80s anymore.

I don't understand ASM 238 holding its price for so long.  The Hobgoblin story through 289 was fine, and the Ron Frenz art was very decent, but how many people are reading 80's Spidey?  Ned Leeds is dead, and the guy who stole his gimmick, Jason Macendale, turned into Demogoblin and is never coming back.  Unless there are recent developments, Hobgoblin is a dead character that will never pop up again with any significance.

Was Mister Miracle 4 a squarebound, or just oversized?  I picture a lot of copies with staple tears, not so many in high grade.  Is Barda still alive?  I dropped DC after Final Crisis, when all the New Gods got wiped out and replaced with human versions. :sick:

20 hours ago, Allimagee said:

So, I have an opportunity to buy an Amazing Spiderman 238 with tattoos in about 9.0 condition for $80. Or a Mister Miracle 4 in about 8.0-8.5 possibly a 9.0 for $60. Which book has more upside potential and appreciation? My gut tells me to buy the ASM 238. How much can this book grow? Is the Hobgoblin a character with potential or is he peaking now? Same goes for MM 4, will the book continue to grow with the release of the New Gods movie or is it also topping out with the news of the movie? Is Big Barda a more impoetant character than Hobgoblin? I know that Spider-man is here to stay and one of the biggest characters in all of comics. I can't say the same for MM or Big Barda, this series has been relatively cheap since its arrival. 

So if any of you could only buy one book, which would it be and why? How far do you think either can go in regards to popularity and value? Thank you all in advance for any input!

MM 4 all the way. Barda had become a cultish kind of key book a few years before the New Gods Movie was speced on, but has gone over the top because of it. She's another in a long line of obscure DC female characters that have gained popularity and is a really cool character in her own right. Early 70's Kirby, oversized 25 cent book, first Barda.

As far as character designs go Big Barda is among my favorites! Just a fantastic visual, great shapes and colors. And who doesn't love a giant, strong woman with personality!?!

That's a tough one. ASM #238 I feel will always have legs as top bronze age book. It's a great cover and a first appearance to boot. MM #4 I feel also has legs to grow simply because it's also a first appearance of a character who is probably gaining popularity due to the current Mister Miracle series. 

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I don't understand ASM 238 holding its price for so long.  The Hobgoblin story through 289 was fine, and the Ron Frenz art was very decent, but how many people are reading 80's Spidey?  Ned Leeds is dead, and the guy who stole his gimmick, Jason Macendale, turned into Demogoblin and is never coming back.  Unless there are recent developments, Hobgoblin is a dead character that will never pop up again with any significance.

Was Mister Miracle 4 a squarebound, or just oversized?  I picture a lot of copies with staple tears, not so many in high grade.  Is Barda still alive?  I dropped DC after Final Crisis, when all the New Gods got wiped out and replaced with human versions. :sick:

Ned Leeds was never the Hobgoblin, just another pawn.

Jason Macendale didn't become the Demogoblin (okay, he kind of did, but that's complicated and irrelevant). Macendale was killed by the real, original Hobgoblin.

But Hobby was basically rendered obsolete when Norman Osborn returned. I'm sure he's been used somehow in the last couple of decades, but I don't know any details.

1 hour ago, deadleg said:

ASM #238 I feel will always have legs as top bronze age book.

100% Copper Age.

Mister Miracle 4, ASM 238 great cover yes but hobgoblin, meh!

Big Barda is great and has tons of potential in New Gods Movie and is kicking butt in the current Mister Miracle series!

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

100% Copper Age.

Sorry.

So what happens when if the New Gods movie tanks? Nothing against Big Barda but DC doesn’t perform as well at the box office compared to Marvel. 

Thanks for all the imput! This is what i needed. I think I'm gonna get the MM4 due to it not being found in high grade often. There are plenty of ASM 238's, maybe not with the tatoos included but I see more of them than the MM4. The MM is in grade worthy condition and a clean and press may imrove it a little bit more. 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, FineCollector said:

Maybe people who keep that price up are people who were enthralled with the hobgoblin story when younger. I was 12  when 238 dropped and I loved it. Also, I do not think people are buying it to crack out of the case and read but I have 3 or 4 copies and one is a reader. I used to read mister miracle but it never really spoke to me.

Really, 238 isn't even "holding", it's rising. I had a 9.8 sitting in my shopping cart on MCS for a few months at $500 (this was within the last maybe two years) and I kept waiting until I built up enough store credit to buy it (of course it was gone by then). Now it's pretty consistently over $700, so it's had a healthy increase over the last few years. For me, it's all about nostalgia, but Hobby ranks as one of my all-time favorite villains, even if it was several decades ago, he's still one of my all-time favorites. The thing is, when Marvel leaves characters alone, they stay cool. 

Edited by Martin Sinescu