• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which to buy? ASM 238 or Mister Miracle 4
1 1

43 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2018 at 8:51 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

Really, 238 isn't even "holding", it's rising. I had a 9.8 sitting in my shopping cart on MCS for a few months at $500 (this was within the last maybe two years) and I kept waiting until I built up enough store credit to buy it (of course it was gone by then). Now it's pretty consistently over $700, so it's had a healthy increase over the last few years. For me, it's all about nostalgia, but Hobby ranks as one of my all-time favorite villains, even if it was several decades ago, he's still one of my all-time favorites. The thing is, when Marvel leaves characters alone, they stay cool. 

I agree! A local shop had a 9.6 WP at 275. 

I looked online and saw what they were going for and rushed back there and bought it without hesitation. 

Plus, it's just a really sweet classic cover.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:59 PM, Lazyboy said:

Exactly.

:gossip: It's not the 80s anymore.

That is correct, 'tho look at Thanos, he was in hibernation for a while.  Since these are fictional characters, all it takes is an editorial decision for a push and the right writer and/or artist to elevate a character from obscurity to popularity.  Unlike sports cards where athletes peak and phase out, comic books have good potential for future gains.

I'd say Hobgoblin is a rather weak Green Goblin inspired character 'tho, and if you're speculating based on "movies" which I often find silly, buying into Villains who may appear in 1 or 2 films then get defeated by the hero and vanish, I'd bank on investing in Heroes who have more longevity in the movies.  So, with that, I'd go with Big Barda in Mr Miracle #4 as the better investment.