• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 1 CGC 8.0 Restored (on the bay) Opinions sought
2 2

31 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, spreads said:

You're willing to spend 10k on a book but don't want to take a few dollars and a few minutes on GPA? 

I work in compliance for a major investment firm, this ranks pretty high on the emotionally-charged 'investment' choices.

Good advice. I will get a GPA account setup before I proceed further.

JL

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

Badly overpriced. Last MP 8.0 that sold went for $3466 in Feb of 2016 and a B4 8.0 just sold last Sep for $5200. Wait and you'll find one cheaper... although I will say this is a nice looking 8.0 but I don't think it's several thousand dollars worth of nice.

agree on that its over priced and the shipping costs seems unreasonable over $100

Edited by Mmehdy

To quote a great man I used to work with, “Experience is knowledge gained too late”.  In the early 1990’s I purchased an AF 15 that made the regretful decision to have restored. The book turned out beautiful but the investment damage was done with irreversible restoration.  Like others said if you are looking at an investment I would buy the highest grade unrestored copy I could afford. If you are going to buy a  restored copy I would avoid any copy that has anything other than touchup that can be removed.

1 hour ago, Jack Linguini said:

Good advice. I will get a GPA account setup before I proceed further.

JL

I just checked GPA, there are no tracked-sales history of this exact book, however there are many books in 8.0 with varying degrees of restoration.  Out of the 9 categories for restored books in 8.0, the range based on last sale in each category is from $3100 to $6995.  Clearly there's some stale data in there, but you it gives you a starting point.

58 minutes ago, Grendel72 said:

I highly doubt you can get a copy south of 8k now for 8.0 mod restored 

howabout $7000 plus $500 shipping?

59 minutes ago, Grendel72 said:

I highly doubt you can get a copy south of 8k now for 8.0 mod restored 

You are basing this on what exactly? There has literally been NO sales at 8K or higher for a restored 8.0 with any degree of resto according to GPA. I know GPA doesn't track everything but they do track quite a bit. 

8 hours ago, jason4 said:

That 8.0 is Beautiful and worth it IMO. The 250 shipping is probably because of the high price to insure the book. 

Doesn't cost anywhere near $250 to insure for $10,000. And to insure for $10,000, it must be registered. $10,000 insurance, registered mail, say 2 to 4 pounds from any point in the US to any point in the US? $50-60 tops.  

11 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

Slightly off topic, but that Seller's shipping charges are outrageous.

Agree.  I’ve always felt that 4-figure books should have shipping built into the price.