• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor City Con - Nickel City Con - 3 River Comics Con - May 18 - 20
1 1

65 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, joeypost said:

I don’t have a booth, but we hang out at Dale Roberts booth. Dale always has a super selection of books so stop by and say hello. 

I will be a Nickel City on Friday and Motor City on Sunday. I would like to say Hello.

1 hour ago, Ron C. said:

I will be a Nickel City on Friday and Motor City on Sunday. I would like to say Hello.

Ron,

Would love to get get a chance to say hello in person. Unfortunately, I leave Saturday night. 

Edited by joeypost

Just getting home from Detroit and it was one hell of a good one.  Thanks to Rick and and his wonderful wife for the dealers badge!  Shopped from 8:30 until 3:30 and finally felt like I had seen it all.  Skow grabbed all the good books but I did pretty well picking over his scraps.

Great seeing a dozen or so board members and even Greggy was in a good mood. Gregg coined the term “grinder” for people who buy lower grade books with low potential.  After seeing Rounders it definetely is a good term for those of us that hit the $1 boxes and grind out the $10- $20 profits.  

Sadly I didn’t take any pictures of the Con since I was digging and buying most of the time i was there.  Ended up with a long and a short box full of books.  Hector was right when he said it was going to be a great buying Con - probably the best Con I’ve ever been to in terms of great $1 - $2 boxes.  I even got a book from Harley - nice looking Eternals 1 for $20.  

Heading to 3 Rivers Con in Pittsburg tomorrow and I’ll hopefully have very little time to take pictures at that one also since I’ll be busy buying books.  

Hope all the dealers had a good day today and an even better weekend - Motor City Con rocked.

23 hours ago, Ron C. said:

Just curious - how was Nickel Con today?

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Just curious - how was Nickel Con today?

Kind of a sparse crowd... except for around the CGC table. I took a few pictures that I can post somewhere. Zero line for Lou Ferrigno, Jeremy Bulloch, Richard Dreyfuss, Frank Cho and Mike Zeck. I was able to get this wonderful Ken Lashley sketch done this afternoon so this was a good day for me.

Lashley sketch cover.jpg

Ken Lashley Nickel City Con.jpg

Spent money with

Dale Robert

Bill Pappas

Bib Storms

Big Ben’s Comics Oasis

Nosalgia Inc

Overall I spent more on moderns than anything else.  I went in expecting to pick up some price variants from Motor City, but they didn’t bring any :cry:

Left early today as the crowd was getting to be too much. It was my first time at the show so I don’t have anything to compare it to but I think I will do OK assuming CGC’s grading isn’t ridiculous. 

Edited by joeypost

Just got back from 3 Rivers Con in Pittsburgh.  It’s only $10 to get in and it’s definetely set up like a old fashion comic book Con of times gone by.  It’s in a deserted section of a mall but it’s really a large room so it’s pretty much like any Con held at a hotel meeting room.  There was probably 20 comic vendors in attendance with most being smaller shops in the area but a couple collectors where set up (which is rare).  All the biggest local dealers where over at Motor City so this left plenty of room for the small guys. 

Whereas Motor City has all the bells and whistles - 3 Rivers has a ton of nicely priced books.  I grabbed a nice mid grade FF 49 for $80 and the best buy of the weekend was a GL 40, Eternals 1 and Forever People 1 for $2 each.  The guy had one of those messed up booths that was in no order and was trying to sell toys, books and comics in a big heap.  Love those type of booths since the dealers in the room don’t have time to pick out the goodies before the door opens.  

Two Cons in 2 days has got me tired of looking at books so now it’s time to go see Deadpool 2!

Edited by 1Cool

15 hours ago, 1Cool said:

best buy of the weekend was a GL 40, Eternals 1 and Forever People 1 for $2 each.  

Which booth was that? My best pick up at the show was Crown Comics #7 - a tough Baker cover. I already have a copy. So, I need to compare which to keep. It wasn't $2, but still a deal.

005.JPG

Edited by Shrevvy

40 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Which booth was that? My best pick up at the show was Crown Comics #7 - a tough Baker cover. I already have a copy. So, I need to compare which to keep. It wasn't $2, but still a deal.

005.JPG

He was back along the back wall and had some original D & D manuals that looked nice.  I think a woman and a guy were trying to sell off another guys collection - not sure but it kind of sounded like the lady's husband.  They had a unread set of Watchmen 1-12 that was unpriced.  I asked about a price and the lady looked up sold prices on e-bay (usually a bad sign).  She said it could be up to $200 so the guy also running the the booth said "how about $100".  I countered with $50 for the set and he took it.  Strange exchange but I was happy to get them.  Cell Phone service was horrible so no one could take credit cards and I'm happy I had enough cash with me ($350 since I spent almost all my cash at Motor City and assumed I would use credit at 3 River).  Moral of the story is always bring cash!

This Con was the first time a dealer took back a book when i brought up a stack to buy.  He had a NM copy of ASM 263 in his boxes priced at $5.  I handed him a stack of books to buy and he says "whoops that book should be $25" and puts it aside.  I asked him why he did that and he said the book was not for sale at that price.  Definetely a 1st on that one.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

He was back along the back wall and had some original D & D manuals that looked nice.  I think a woman and a guy were trying to sell off another guys collection - not sure but it kind of sounded like the lady's husband.  They had a unread set of Watchmen 1-12 that was unpriced.  I asked about a price and the lady looked up sold prices on e-bay (usually a bad sign).  She said it could be up to $200 so the guy also running the the booth said "how about $100".  I countered with $50 for the set and he took it.  Strange exchange but I was happy to get them.  Cell Phone service was horrible so no one could take credit cards and I'm happy I had enough cash with me ($350 since I spent almost all my cash at Motor City and assumed I would use credit at 3 River).  Moral of the story is always bring cash!

This Con was the first time a dealer took back a book when i brought up a stack to buy.  He had a NM copy of ASM 263 in his boxes priced at $5.  I handed him a stack of books to buy and he says "whoops that book should be $25" and puts it aside.  I asked him why he did that and he said the book was not for sale at that price.  Definetely a 1st on that one.

I think I picked up the Crown Comics from the same guy. Lots of ratty bags and boxes. I grabbed a small stack of golden age books he had mixed in with other stuff. I didn't bother to look over the silver and bronze stuff as it's not my primary focus these days. We had limited time as we had to be back in Ohio by 4ish. Otherwise, there were some booths I would have liked to spend more time at.

I look forward to the Motor City Comic Con every year. I usually spend two days there, but this year went only Friday. My 8 year-old was with me and he was on the lookout for Nintendo plushies. :headbang:

I really could’ve really spent another day there. Knowing that my time was limited, I was in economy mode and had to pass up on visiting booths I normally would have gone to. Friday was by far the busiest I’d ever seen there for a Friday. First step was to drop off a CGC submission and waited for about 40 minutes. Usually, I’d just walk up without any wait.

There’s just so much choice in dealers and books there. Was very happy that Todd Lange brought a wide selection of silver and bronze books (last year he didn’t bring any). Was able to pick up some quality books at best-bang-for-your-buck prices. Was able to fill a few holes in my Marvel runs there. Also hit up Greg Reece (sons) and Dave Kapelka for odd books I was on the lookout for. Dave has been a fixture there for so many years - sniff, sniff. Also found a whack of high-grade Charltons at one booth, JC Collectables I think, at $3 a pop. And that’s about it. Happy with what I bought but could’ve kept on going. Next year, I’ll plan for two days.

Only talked to a few boardies including Charles from Hotflips, and Par2ch, who I hadn’t seen since Megacon in like 2006. And I introduced myself to board celeb Greggy, who’s much taller in real life. (worship)