• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor City Con - Nickel City Con - 3 River Comics Con - May 18 - 20
1 1

65 posts in this topic

I hit Nickel City on Sat, and can confirm there were just 5 or 6 total dealers. Was there from 10-1 and it was never that busy (lots of room on show floor and at most 4-5 people looking through a booth at a time). Dave & Adams were the title sponsor and had a huge booth - they had tons of longs with good runs all at 50%-off right off the bat, which brought the books into reasonable price territory. 

I looked through some boxes of the other dealers, but wasn’t a ton of what I was looking for personally (high grade silver / bronze primarily). Brought a lot of cash but only ended up spending about $100 on 5 high-grade Uncanny X-Mens in the 100s. Wall books were ok, a couple interesting, but nothing I pulled the trigger on.

Dropped a large sub off at CGC booth which was fairly busy (2 girls working + 1 witness, including Melissa who I’ve met a few times at cons who was great and very pleasant as usual). Were about 10 people scattered around the booth waiting - I was able to get in and out quickly as I had all my paperwork done with, but could see some people getting antsy. Feel like CGC should come up with a “take-a-number” system at cons to keep things orderly and efficient and no one feeling like it’s unfair. 

Overall, if my main purpose wasn’t to sub books at CGC, this would’ve been a disappointing experience. As a newer con, agree with someone else eho mentioned in the thread that it makes sense that regional dealers would go more to established cons like Motor City - think Nickel City needs to schedule on a different weekend next year to have a real chance of making it. 

I had a great time at the show this year and I scored some real beauties! :whee:  Here are my main scores...  I picked up the Mademoiselle Marie's from Jean (I don't know his last name or comic shop name) :cry:   I bought the rest of the books from Harley Yee!  And I picked up the poster from a local comic and magazine dealer.

20180521_190128.jpg

20180521_190254.jpg

20180521_190433.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, Nick's Comics said:

I had a great time at the show this year and I scored some real beauties! :whee:  Here are my main scores...  I picked up the Mademoiselle Marie's from Jean (I don't know his last name or comic shop name) :cry:   I bought the rest of the books from Harley Yee!  And I picked up the poster from a local comic and magazine dealer.

Was he right down the main aisle from you? If so, it was Gene Carpenter. If you collect Silver Age runs, he always seems to have something nice in that run.

I'm a bit surprised you haven't retired off my $2 NTT 39 purchase from you though. :foryou: