• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SWAMP THING via DC Digital TV from James Wan (5/31/19)
2 2

210 posts in this topic

What a mess!

As you all know by now, DC Universe’s ‘Swamp Thing’ series has been cancelled. Amid varying accusations of what went down behind the scenes, from tax paperwork errors to a colossal budget, The GWW spoke to several people close to production on the series about what actually happened.

When WarnerMedia and AT&T first saw footage from the series, they were not pleased. Certain executives found that they did not care for the direction of the show enough to continue supporting its sizable budget (around $80 million), and decided in March to stop production early. Production halted just after filming was completed on episode ten of the series. Around mid-April, reshoots on episodes two, four, seven, and ten. A new ending was written for the season (now series) finale, and production wrapped for good on May 1st.

Initially, crew members were told to start tearing down sets on May 2nd. However, things changed on April 22nd, when it was announced sets were to stay up for the time being. The reason? Different networks, including HBO and The CW (who save since passed on the series), were looking at picking it up for a second season, while WarnerMedia and AT&T were still mulling over their options. It was ultimately the group effort of executive producers James Wan, Gary Dauberman, and Mark Verheiden, and DC themselves, that were pushing Warner Bros. to reconsider the cancellation. They decided to wait until mid-June to make a final decision. But, Warners decided to pull the plug early last week: this was expected but it is unknown why they did it so early.

Sources also stress that the new leadership at WarnerMedia are very keen on doing more shows in the formulaic style of The CW’s ‘Arrow’ and ‘The Flash,’ and less shows like ‘Doom Patrol’ and ‘Swamp Thing.’ One source even says that Len Wiseman (‘Underworld,’ ‘Live Free or Die Hard’) was hired as director to make the show seem like more of a procedural. This tactic wound up backfiring as Wiseman put his own horror spin on the series, which execs were very displeased with. Disney’s upcoming streaming service is said to have spooked WarnerMedia as well.

One more funny tidbit, the producers wanted actress Crystal Reed, who plays Abby Arcane, to dye her hair blonde to be more in line with the comics, and she told them no. The day the cancellation was announced, she made an Instagram post showing off her new blonde hair with the caption “the rebellion,” as a way to give one last middle finger to the studio.

This gets worse as time goes on.

Just finished episode 2...it's starting to show its faults O.o   

I mean the show itself LOOKS amazing, and the special effects production is amazing - but the writing and plotting is pretty disappointing, especially the dialogue. It's alright for established comic fans who are willing to slog through anything in order to simply catch a glimpse of these characters, but for anyone else there isn't much to really draw them into this show. My fiancé didn't like any superhero stuff (but she liked Swamp Thing as a kid so was excited for this show), but shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones really grabbed her and made her care about everything Marvel - and that magic is really missing from this show (and all other DC properties, for that matter). 

Okay, surprise - it's getting very good now! Episode 3 has turned things around for me regarding the writing (which I found very sloppy i the first two episodes). Love the idea behind the 'villain' in this episode,

Spoiler

which seems like Alec's subconscious PTSD from killing a man is being taken by the Green to mean it should manifest the corpse back to 'life' (and as he imagines, with a desire for revenge) - of course Swampy simply has to ask the Green to stop it in order to defeat him. Would love to see him command the Green to animate a small army of dead henchmen in the same way later on this season.

edit: note, while I am aware of The Rot being a thing in the comics, I don't think that is what is happening here - nor do I think they will use it here as it might get little confusing having different aspects of nature - better to keep it as one 'entity' for now.

Edited by Sauce Dog

I'm really loving the character design, casting overall, Swamp Thing voice and dark story associated with the show.

Crystal Reed as Abby is a big change-up from Gotham's Sofia Falcone. Much more sympathetic and sincere. Let's hope they figure out a way to keep this show going, no matter what AT&T and WarnerMedia wants.

watched 2nd episode this morning.  Luv the horror feel to it so far.   I wonder if the series will continue to be Abby centric with the Swamp Thing on the peripheral edges or it it switches to be centered more on him, or  the two of them

Well...SIGH....episode four is a return to disjointed form in regards to the story and lackluster dialogue scripting. Rather disappointing after the great previous episode, as this switches to what amounts to a throw away monster-of-the-week episode with no real weight to its danger (and one that is resolved far to quickly and easily, with all the humans acting unrealistic in response to it). Feels like everyone other than Swamp Thing are the only ones working on figuring out what Swamp Thing is, while he just sits in the swamp twiddling his thumbs. I really expected more existential anguish and self reflection on Swamp Things part as he struggles, all alone, with what he has become and all the new sensory experiences he is now in tune with (rather we just get a throw-away line that 'the plants are talking to me'). The fraying sanity of Alec is the real interesting stuff, so they should give us that - not some cool and calm Swamp Thing just waiting around for Abby to figure it all out for him.

The good new is the entire episode once again looked amazing, and the sound mixing was excellent - a technical masterpiece of a show.

Edited by Sauce Dog

Swamp Thing Episode 5 was an outstanding horror story overall.

Not only does it take you deeper into the swamp mystery, but also a sub-story involving a ghost associated with the events. That latter part reminded me of something out of 'What Lies Beneath'. And I liked the Phantom Stranger brief appearance.

#SaveSwampThing