• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SWAMP THING via DC Digital TV from James Wan (5/31/19)
2 2

210 posts in this topic

Sooo...Phantom Stranger is basically just a casual Kevin Smith trolling the bayou for fish. That was a let down (but hey, at least he managed to give Swmap Thing an excuse to be on screen for more than 30 seconds AND have a nice conversation)

34xh3f.jpg.5dea045298db39aaa86604c3eae1daa1.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 7/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Sooo...Phantom Stranger is basically just a casual Kevin Smith trolling the bayou for fish. That was a let down (but hey, at least he managed to give Swmap Thing an excuse to be on screen for more than 30 seconds AND have a nice conversation)

34xh3f.jpg.5dea045298db39aaa86604c3eae1daa1.jpg

It was enough of a teaser intro, but with mystery surrounding the character so when he does appear later we could see him in the traditional form.

I'm good with this. I don't need to hold a comic book up to the screen and declare 'There he is!' :baiting:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

It was enough of a teaser intro, but with mystery surrounding the character so when he does appear later we could see him in the traditional form.

I'm good with this. I don't need to hold a comic book up to the screen and declare 'There he is!' :baiting:

True - I don't expect a 1 for 1 depiction of any character onscreen, but when an actor who has zero characteristics in common with the source character appears and the ONLY link is a very groan worthy line of dialogue "I'm just a stranger, a phantom in the night" then i'm left wanting more. It seemed to me nothing more than forced fan-service.

If they dropped that line of dialogue then there would have been absolutely no connection, they could have just have easily gave him an accent and declared it was Constantine :)

47 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

True - I don't expect a 1 for 1 depiction of any character onscreen, but when an actor who has zero characteristics in common with the source character appears and the ONLY link is a very groan worthy line of dialogue "I'm just a stranger, a phantom in the night" then i'm left wanting more. It seemed to me nothing more than forced fan-service.

If they dropped that line of dialogue then there would have been absolutely no connection, they could have just have easily gave him an accent and declared it was Constantine :)

I get it. This doesn't match the comic book traditional look just yet.

But it definitely doesn't sound nor look like Constantine. If anything, maybe he was trying not to freak out Swamp Thing with their initial meeting. Time will tell. :smile:

On 7/9/2019 at 5:59 PM, shiverbones said:

He had a suit and hat and no beard in the most recent episode. I am guessing he appears as he needs to at the time.

Just saw the episode, a good step in the right direction. I really think his first appearance with swamp thing should have included more rolling smoke / fog like this appearance had at the end, to better connect the characters for the audience.

6 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Just saw the episode, a good step in the right direction. I really think his first appearance with swamp thing should have included more rolling smoke / fog like this appearance had at the end, to better connect the characters for the audience.

I agree, something otherworldly would have been nice

Episode 7 is so dark, with a twisted ending who had been behind much of what took place the entire time. And not at all what I expected. Which was excellent!

:banana::whee:

It was such a surprise to find out who had been working together on this plan, and how they were tied together.

Episode 7's (and 8) shift towards a darker plot is welcome and adds a depth it previously lacked (No longer is it just 'the old bad guy who ran the town!' theme and gives some of the best actors on the show a chance to really shine) however the dialogue continues to be wooden, at the same time the side plots remain handled in an uneven way (not spun into the main story well, unimportant, or just not given any real reason for us to care about outside of comic book nostalgia). 

I like that Abby tripped out and saw Swamp Thing as he was, but the 'danger' felt forced and didn't add much to the story (Abby declaring that the Chinese lantern she ate wasn't helping was laughable, she literally swallowed it, and her being a seasoned doctor expected a raw natural plant to IMMEDIATELY have an effect on an unknown infection in her arm...give that sucker some time to even digest girl! This 'solution' wasn't needed and could have been cut, with more focus on her actual healing by Swamp Thing). At least by the end of episode 8 we have an actual threat and sense of danger for our protagonist, which shows some promise for the final few episodes.

At this point I feel that hopefully my posting will server to only lower the expectations of others to the point that when they do watch it they will be pleasantly surprised it wasn't 'that bad' of a show (and to be clear, this isn't the worst show i've seen, but it certainly is a clunker).

8 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

At this point I feel that hopefully my posting will server to only lower the expectations of others to the point that when they do watch it they will be pleasantly surprised it wasn't 'that bad' of a show (and to be clear, this isn't the worst show i've seen, but it certainly is a clunker).

Not sure of this 'server' you speak of... :baiting:

But for me, I guess I am much less picky about these production. Although maybe not since my Swamp Thing collection starts from the beginning and goes forward.

I am finding this show to be fantastic. Even in Episode 8 the original actress from the first Swamp Thing film (Adrienne Barbeau) showed up in a role which surprised me. And the darkness is the natural part of the swamp and the environment he operates in and protects. I just like how they have kept it feeling relatable though we are dealing with contaminated products turning people and even ghosts. But the corporate greed influencing the environment and the myopia of the rich leaders and their scientists wanting to push boundaries makes the story that much more interesting.

That final fight scene where Swamp Thing goes to cut loose on his attackers was fantastic, though brief. But it is just like Episode 6 where he hits the trees and using their splinters as weapons. Very cool and natural to the character.