• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SWAMP THING via DC Digital TV from James Wan (5/31/19)
2 2

210 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Your reading into it a lot more than I'm saying.

I tried to watch it and didn't watch the whole thing, I cant make a statement on good or bad, never tried to say that

It's okay you didn't care for the show. But noting 'so far I'm the only one to post' meant what then if you were trying not to say it was bad?

:popcorn:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

It's okay you didn't care for the show. But noting 'so far I'm the only one to post' meant what then if you were trying not to say it was bad?

:popcorn:

I meant I was trying to have a discussion and was the only to post

I dont count your post cause it wasnt a discussion, you could have said 1st episode give it time, but no you gave snark about a show I haven't seen a full episode of

I went on to say that I caught the latter end and didn't even know when the full running time was

Your reply is I'm saying it's bad 

I really dont follow

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I meant I was trying to have a discussion and was the only to post

I dont count your post cause it wasnt a discussion, you could have said 1st episode give it time, but no you gave snark about a show I haven't seen a full episode of

I went on to say that I caught the latter end and didn't even know when the full running time was

Your reply is I'm saying it's bad 

I really dont follow

You and me both. And yet I keep trying to make it light with :baiting:

It is the pilot episode. For the 10 episodes total there is a horror-mystery atmosphere you will slowly come to realize what occurred. All the pilot was doing is warming us up to the main characters and the potential friction point amongst them.

Your 'snark' concern is because what you called out seemed like you wanted a clearer picture in the pilot episode. Then noting you are the only one posting was very clear what you meant to convey - nobody else cares. So I clarified for you in forgetting this the show came out on the DC Universe and folks on here that were looking forward to it saw the show. Though if this continues on strongly you would hope it leads to Season Two and new content to appreciate.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

You and me both. And yet I keep trying to make it light with :baiting:

It is the pilot episode. For the 10 episodes total there is a horror-mystery atmosphere you will slowly come to realize what occurred. All the pilot was doing is warming us up to the main characters and the potential friction point amongst them.

Your 'snark' concern is because what you called out seemed like you wanted a clearer picture in the pilot episode. Then noting you are the only one posting was very clear what you meant to convey - nobody else cares. So I clarified for you in forgetting this the show came out on the DC Universe and folks on here that were looking forward to it saw the show. Though if this continues on strongly you would hope it leads to Season Two and new content to appreciate.

Ya that's what I'm saying they can improve, I didn't get moody on the filler or even eerie, it was too simple compare to the swamp thing sequences 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I even said the cgi was good to move the conver along but no

With you it's good or bad?

I gave an opinion of the cgi being over the top compared to the in between parts

Instead of having a discussion you say get a clue? 10 episodes in a pilot and hit it off with one of these :baiting:

Opinion is opinion no reason to completely deflate 

Try building on a post when it's the first post about a discussion 

I never ever said good or bad, quite the opposite came looking for another view to convince family to watch, I over did it and post the same thing 3 times to clarify lol

And still get taken as your average nay sayers 

Hey - you're the only one posting. :kidaround:

Your initial post made it clear you may have forgotten this is a horror-mystery show. So if 'get a clue' was in the message it was to clarify that while kidding around with you.

Now - get a clue.

windup.gif.fbd425a427744f6a7d431d993d3562ec.gif

:baiting::foryou:

It's all good

Hey - you're the only one posting. :kidaround:

Your initial post made it clear you may have forgotten this is a horror-mystery show. So if 'get a clue' was in the message it was to clarify that while kidding around with you.

Now - get a clue.

I was a hot mess wasnt I lol

Kind of like that pilot :baiting:jk :foryou:

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya that's what I'm saying they can improve, I didn't get moody on the filler or even eerie, it was too simple compare to the swamp thing sequences 

If you decide to hang in there, by Episode 2 it starts to pick up as with the Pilot it offered up all the intro we needed to get things rolling.

What's really cool is by Episode 9 'The Anatomy Lesson' it very much honors the character designs created by Alan Moore. Including a surprise for those not familiar with the Swamp Thing lore.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

If you decide to hang in there, by Episode 2 it starts to pick up as with the Pilot it offered up all the intro we needed to get things rolling.

What's really cool is by Episode 9 'The Anatomy Lesson' it very much honors the character designs created by Alan Moore. Including a surprise for those not familiar with the Swamp Thing lore.

I'll try and sell it to the family, or sneak away lol and get the popcorn  :)

:roflmao:

Oh no. Don't compare that pilot to your reaction.

I'm really kicking myself for not watching the whole thing, I mean 10 episodes I could have swung that but anyway lol

But seriously, it is interesting to see The CW take a gamble like that with a property that is not as light-hearted as its other Arrowverse shows. I hope they realize from the ratings there is strong potential there if it decides to continue the show.

Edited by Bosco685

THE CHALLENGE OF THE SWAMP THING

Unfortunately, the biggest hurdle the show would face is the replication of all those start-up costs. That swamp set and the Swamp Thing costume are the two most impressive elements of the production. The suit, a practical effect augmented with some CGI, no doubt exists in the Warner archive. But even just a year’s time in storage could make the suit unusable, necessitating the creation of a new one. Also, that set broke the bank, as it was built for a three-season concept. It wouldn’t surprise us to learn the production intended to amortize the cost over those years.

Of course, The CW can always find ways to save money even without requiring the production to move to Vancouver (although a move next door to Black Lightning in Atlanta would be likely). Then there’s the cast, who were released from their contracts long ago. While the key trio — Reed, Mears, and Bean — may be available, actors like Patton, Madsen, Prescott, and Beals are always working. Not everyone who appeared in the first season is required to tell the continuing saga of the Swamp Thing, a good number of them are still needed to keep Marais a recognizable town. And as CW viewers will see across the next few weeks, Marais is as important to Swamp Thing as “toitle soup.”

On the creative end, it is always possible those reported differences would keep Verheiden and his writers far away from a second season, but such things can always be smoothed over.

Beyond their availability, drawing up new contracts for the production team and on-screen talent would also, no doubt, drive up the budget. But, surely, if The CW wants it, they can figure out a way — even if it means we have to lose, say, Ziering and his Blue Devil to make it work. As long as the key dynamic between Abby, Swamp Thing, and the town survives the transition, even an economical Swamp Thing is worth making.

THE WORTHINESS OF SWAMP THING

And that’s the thing, Swamp Thing is worth continuing. Mears (and Bean) proved to be the best possible version of the character. The two actors worked together to create a performance in concert which allowed the show to execute scenes with Swamp Thing and Alec switching places in Abby’s mind on the fly. Also, as much as we loved Durock in the Swamp Thing films and USA series, Mears excelled at bringing the terror and the tenderness of the character to life through a rubber mask, special effects, and tough filming conditions. He deserves the chance to do it again. The same goes for Reed, who is a great series anchor whether having beers with a friend or facing an unspeakable horror in the swamp.

Also, without spoiling things for viewers who haven’t seen the whole season yet, there are at least two incredible cliffhangers we need to see resolved — one of which concerns the arrival of a true physical adversary for Swamp Thing.

So where could the series go if it continued? If the first season asks — and answers — a key question about Swamp Thing’s existence, Season 2 would revolve around what that answer means to him and Abby (while dealing with that new adversary, of course). How do they continue their relationship with this new understanding? It is an idea writer Alan Moore (and artists like Stephen Bissette) explored in a celebrated run on the Swamp Thing comic during the 1980s. He took it to a trippy and poetic extreme in issue #34, a story still talked about to this day. And though an adaptation of it may have been designed for that proposed third season, the “Rite of Spring” was always part of the promise of the show once it decided to play up the romance angle. It might be wildly different for broadcast, but we’d still love to see the series attempt it.

Another part of the show’s promise is Abby and Swamp Thing’s daughter Tefe. And though Susie Coyle (Elle Graham) seems inspired by the character, actually telling the story of how they became parents could be groundbreaking for The CW — especially if they import John Constantine (Matt Ryan) from DC’s Legends of Tomorrow to fulfill his role in those events. In some ways, it is the most unlikely crossover and the one viewers deserve the most. Beyond that, though, is the chance to see the show pivot from romance to a family drama.

On 10/8/2020 at 6:48 AM, Arkham said:

I’m keen to watch this. Unfortunately, DC Unlimited isn’t available in Australia. (Real shame this, as I’d love access to that library of books. Similarly, ComiXology unlimited isn’t available in Aus!)

Might just have to buy direct via Apple or similar. Looks good!

yeah its a bummer its not on hbo max like most other dc stuff. i am in the states but dont have a tv package. cw has a free app where i tried to watch this, but the unending and unavoidable barrage of commercials makes it nearly impossible to watch it.

Sadly, no HBO Max in Aus too!! There is a pay TV company here called Foxtel that has a lot of exclusive licensing for HBO and WB content. I avoided them for years because the price was unreasonable. They’ve launched a new service here called “Binge” that is more affordable - so might be worth checking out to get my paws on these shows (so long as they are actually on there!)

Dragged a bit for the first few episodes but picked up towards the end.  Having read Alan Moore's run, no real surprises in the main Swamp Thing storyline, but done well.  I was very slow in figuring out who the guy was who kept turning up to talk to Blue Devil, until I noticed his medallion in the hospital scene. doh!

Edited by Ken Aldred

18 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Dragged a bit for the first few episodes but picked up towards the end.  Having read Alan Moore's run, no real surprises in the main Swamp Thing storyline, but done well.  I was very slow in figuring out who the guy was who kept turning up to talk to Blue Devil, until I noticed his medallion in the hospital scene. doh!

I stopped after the first 2 episodes. It was okay but nothing which made me want to keep on watching, especially since it was cancelled.

8 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

I stopped after the first 2 episodes. It was okay but nothing which made me want to keep on watching, especially since it was cancelled.

That's why the CW is feeling how the reaction to the show.

How does it feel that Swamp Thing is going to kind of get a brand new audience because of the CW?

It feels incredible. I feel elated and grateful and was really shocked at the news initially. I think though what I've learned from this time and this experience of Swamp Thing is that I should just expect the unexpected when it comes to these types of things. And I was just pleasantly surprised that we are going to get a whole new audience and a whole new opportunity to hopefully move people and share what I believe to be was a really great collaboration and creative endeavor that the cast and crew and I just had together. So I really am just kind of humbled by it all.

What are you hoping people are going to get out of the show now?

I hope that people... I think hope actually is a fantastic word. It's one of the things that I loved the most about my character and the theme of the show, which is that although sometimes things feel quite daunting and scary and very terrifying, there's always that hope there. And I think that if that is something that we can give to people during this time period, then that would make me supremely happy. Because everyone's watching TV right now, and I think the state of the world calls for some hope. And I believe that we've done that in a really kind of thrilling, exciting, gory, fun way that lets the characters still shine through. So I hope we might give some hope.

Yeah, it's a show about transformation — and sometimes not necessarily the transformation that you want — and then finding a way to sort of cope with that.

Yeah. And I think it's sort of meta. I played a CDC doctor who's investigating a virus that's killing everyone. And no one foresaw what was going to happen in the world and with the coronavirus. And I think looking back on it now, it's just, it's so timely that it sort of took a virus to bring back a show about a virus. 

You're playing opposite two different performers that are in essence the same man — they both are Alec Holland. How did you approach that relationship working with those two actors that are basically the same guy in developing that relationship?

Well, Derek [Mears, who plays Swamp Thing] and Andy [Bean, who plays Alec Holland] did a lot of work together to try and find some common through line that they could both inject into their performances, and that was really helpful for me. But I think what I would always lean on is when I was acting with Derek and he was in full Swamp Thing costume, I would remember the relationship that Abby and Alec had at the beginning, and that was what I would draw on.

But that being said, I can't ignore the fact that they are different actors, and they do have different energies. I felt differently around both of them, but Derek did such a fantastic job of transcending the costume that for me, it was quite easy to connect with him. Not always the easiest, but I felt like we did a really great job of finding those character moments together and his tenderness and his vulnerabilities through layers and layers and layers of costume was really always shocking to me. I'm grateful for him.

Would you have enjoyed playing Swamp Thing, do you think? How good would you have been at Swamp Thing?

Well, how would I have been? I wouldn't have been Derek Mears. Let's just say that, but I would have absolutely enjoyed playing Swamp Thing. There's something that is so freeing about being in a costume. I remember one of my very, very first roles in theater school, I played a 90-year-old woman in this play, and I couldn't figure her out at all. And I developed this sort of walk, and she had scoliosis and all this stuff. But I couldn't figure it out until I put the costume on. And there was still something missing.

So, what I did is I put a huge, very pokey rock in my shoe, and it was painful as f***. And every time I walked, it hurt, and it changed the way I walked and indicated my character, and all those things came together. And it was the most fun I've had playing someone in costume for a long time. Acting is play, and it's joy. And it gives me the opportunity to use my imagination and really become childlike. And I suppose the reason I want to be in a costume is that it would allow me to transcend what I feel like I look like on the outside and just be free all day. So yes, I'm dying to be in prosthetics.

Swamp Thing originally had 13 episodes and went down to 10. What, if anything, is the thing that you wish that people had a chance to see that they won't from the 10 episodes? What was the storyline that got dropped?

I don't know, actually. I've only seen the pilot, the CW's version of the pilot, so I'm not exactly sure what's been dropped. But one of the things that I love the most about the show is that it feels really cinematic. And we have these really beautiful, gorgeous, wide establishing shots, and the characters get to breathe. And I think a lot of times with network shows, what happens is that the editing happens quickly, so it's, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, and these conversations that are short and snappy. And that really wasn't our show, not at all. There's a lot of room for them to breathe. And I feel like that's how we fell in love with everyone on the show. So I do hope that kind of air and space and artistic expansion, I hope that's left in the show. I really do, because I feel like that created Marais and the story and the feeling and the essence of Swamp Thing.

Swamp Thing is now airing weekly on the CW.