• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dialog's Effect on Art and Art Values
2 2

47 posts in this topic

i find this thread really interesting. Great contributions by everybody!  One last consideration, coming from an advocate of art with text over image only.  I would buy (and have bought) a piece of comic OA with great image and poor or no text. But I would never buy a piece of OA with great text and titles and lettering etc but ugly art...

Carlo

47 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

i find this thread really interesting. Great contributions by everybody!  One last consideration, coming from an advocate of art with text over image only.  I would buy (and have bought) a piece of comic OA with great image and poor or no text. But I would never buy a piece of OA with great text and titles and lettering etc but ugly art...

Carlo

In fact, I have bought a page because of the text and where I didn't like the art at all. It's a page from an old ACG comic called "Adventures Into the Unknown" starring Nemesis. The reason I bought it was partly out of nostalgia, but when I read the two smaller panels, I cracked up. Nemesis was a ghost superhero, probably best viewed as a cross between a low-powered Spectre and a 1960's situation comedy (and yes, back then, it was fun to read). The first panel is insane, once you realize ghosts aren't exactly the best of potential marriage partners. And the crazy stereotype in the second one speaks for itself. 

20180505_110613.thumb.jpg.fbf5ea606c7afe4104bdbb0d946bfcc3.jpg

To me dialogue is part of a masterpiece much as in music, the vocal lyrics, the written lyrics, the musical composition and the musician's instrumentation all sync up to create something wonderful, but individually aren't always as beautiful.

That's in part why the art of today, original art, seems incomplete without the word balloons and thought bubbles with narrative text boxes.

Also, today's are is more about sizzle than substance at times, with cover artwork that is irrelevant to the actual comic issue, mainly just looking like a pin-up.

I think the dialogue is what hits the hot nostalgia button and tugs on the emotion for many of the art pieces that then go into bidding wars, outperforming FMV estimates. 

Dialouge itself can be so poetic and artistic, and overshadow the pencils and inks.  

On 5/6/2018 at 8:54 AM, BeholdersEye said:

To me dialogue is part of a masterpiece much as in music, the vocal lyrics, the written lyrics, the musical composition and the musician's instrumentation all sync up to create something wonderful, but individually aren't always as beautiful.

That's in part why the art of today, original art, seems incomplete without the word balloons and thought bubbles with narrative text boxes.

Also, today's are is more about sizzle than substance at times, with cover artwork that is irrelevant to the actual comic issue, mainly just looking like a pin-up.

I think the dialogue is what hits the hot nostalgia button and tugs on the emotion for many of the art pieces that then go into bidding wars, outperforming FMV estimates. 

Dialouge itself can be so poetic and artistic, and overshadow the pencils and inks.  

I have wondered occasionally if artists don't sometimes gear their output more for sale on the secondary market than to move along the story. 

For me its first and foremost a visual medium. The story should move along without the dialog. Yes, dialog can bring weight and emotional heft and context, but the art has to do the heavy lifting at the end of the day. 

Dialogue and the story help give you the complete array of feelings and satisfaction of a piece. Eye candy has no substance or resonance once the ooh aww factor wears off. You want your art like you want a good woman. Pretty but something underneath to keep you interested and coming back for more.

17 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Dialogue and the story help give you the complete array of feelings and satisfaction of a piece. Eye candy has no substance or resonance once the ooh aww factor wears off. You want your art like you want a good woman. Pretty but something underneath to keep you interested and coming back for more.

Good Lord, I can't begin to count all the sex puns I could make out of this one.