• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #800 Variants

100 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dutch74 said:

this time even with a 1:2000 variant.

God, how much must that cost.  If I had a 1:2000 variant, I would demand it be inspected straight off the press and then immediately protected in mylar, toploader, foam, AND bubble wrap.  Especially if it's the same thick 100 page book with crappy cover paper.

Edited by ExNihilo

42 minutes ago, 1webslinger said:

The difference is one is the modern and the other is the classic, the classic has the webbing and only 300 were sold

Thank you. Do you know if there are also unsigned copies of this book?

14 minutes ago, Dutch74 said:

Thank you. Do you know if there are also unsigned copies of this book?

This incredible homage to Amazing Spider-man 238 will ONLY be offered by us as one of 300 individually SIGNED by Mike Mayhew and numbered CBCS 9.8 copies. This affords collectors an opportunity to obtain an extremely rare version of Amazing Spider-man 800, signed, and in 9.8 condition.

https://www.thecomicmint.com/products/amazing-spider-man-800-mike-mayhew-ultimate-signed-cbcs-9-8-edition

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

This incredible homage to Amazing Spider-man 238 will ONLY be offered by us as one of 300 individually SIGNED by Mike Mayhew and numbered CBCS 9.8 copies. This affords collectors an opportunity to obtain an extremely rare version of Amazing Spider-man 800, signed, and in 9.8 condition.

https://www.thecomicmint.com/products/amazing-spider-man-800-mike-mayhew-ultimate-signed-cbcs-9-8-edition

i bought one, not sure if i will keep it i hate the cases of cbcs

26 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Surprisingly I didn't see a lot of ASM 800s in the boxes at a show yesterday that had 10 dealers. I saw a few, but I expected a glut.

Didnt see any 800s. Picked up an 801 for $1. Saw a couple 798s too. Saw the Otto and Moebius virgins priced right at what the sold for Friday on the bay.

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Surprisingly I didn't see a lot of ASM 800s in the boxes at a show yesterday that had 10 dealers. I saw a few, but I expected a glut.

what about the dellotto virgins, any at the show? with the wide spread shipping damage and printing errors i have been curious on how many high grades are out there for it and prices

3 hours ago, williamblood said:

what about the dellotto virgins, any at the show? with the wide spread shipping damage and printing errors i have been curious on how many high grades are out there for it and prices

Not at the small show I was at. Most I saw was a 1/25 variant. Really there wasn't a strong presence of high grade moderns in general or a lot of CGC books. These dealers 
are more then likely to sell those online on Ebay or FB. 

2 dealers had a small box of slabs marked 50% off, but they were mostly mid grades non-keys. A couple dealers had the usuals. ASM 300, TT2, Bat 608, Spawn 1,  etc. in slabs...….

The majority of the show was raw books. I picked up quite a few Eternals in high grade, Some Young Avengers keys, Captain Marvel late issue 45-50, Batman Beyond 1, New Avengers 11,
SW 68 and X-Men 164 in multiples among others. The dealer prices were very fair on anything that wasn't on their wall. They deal in volume so inventory turn over is their goal a lot of times.

I think I left with about 125 raw issues and was very happy leaving. 

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Not at the small show I was at. Most I saw was a 1/25 variant. Really there wasn't a strong presence of high grade moderns in general or a lot of CGC books. These dealers 
are more then likely to sell those online on Ebay or FB. 

2 dealers had a small box of slabs marked 50% off, but they were mostly mid grades non-keys. A couple dealers had the usuals. ASM 300, TT2, Bat 608, Spawn 1,  etc. in slabs...….

The majority of the show was raw books. I picked up quite a few Eternals in high grade, Some Young Avengers keys, Captain Marvel late issue 45-50, Batman Beyond 1, New Avengers 11,
SW 68 and X-Men 164 in multiples among others. The dealer prices were very fair on anything that wasn't on their wall. They deal in volume so inventory turn over is their goal a lot of times.

I think I left with about 125 raw issues and was very happy leaving. 

ive been on the look out for a 9.8 batman beyond 1, non promo version. every time ebay puts up a coupon i check

On ‎2018‎/‎06‎/‎19 at 3:15 PM, ygogolak said:

I don't know how the world of manufactured collectibles works.

So the artist signed 300 copies of the book. All of them are going to be 9.8? How is that possible? Certainly some of them would end up 9.6 or even 9.4.

Or did the artist sign a 1,000 copies and then all of them were submitted for grading and 300 of them graded 9.8?

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

So the artist signed 300 copies of the book. All of them are going to be 9.8? How is that possible? Certainly some of them would end up 9.6 or even 9.4.

Or did the artist sign a 1,000 copies and then all of them were submitted for grading and 300 of them graded 9.8?

It is best not to ask how the sausage is made.

11 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Books are typically pre-screened by the seller to check for damage/defects.  The highest quality books are likely cherrypicked.  I would imagine over time they've determined a pass rate, so if they know 80% of the books come back as 9.8, they probably submit 375 books.  The other 75 mostly return as less than a 9.8 and any extras probably get sold off somewhere.  Of course, any book that comes back over 9.8 is then offered up at a premium to whoever wants it.

8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Books are typically pre-screened by the seller to check for damage/defects.  The highest quality books are likely cherrypicked.  I would imagine over time they've determined a pass rate, so if they know 80% of the books come back as 9.8, they probably submit 375 books.  The other 75 mostly return as less than a 9.8 and any extras probably get sold off somewhere.  Of course, any book that comes back over 9.8 is then offered up at a premium to whoever wants it.

so they must have 500+ copies come in and then choose the very best.

Thanks for acknowledging my point and the explanation

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

so they must have 500+ copies come in and then choose the very best.

Thanks for acknowledging my point and the explanation

Well, judging by the description it sounds like they send all copies to "the other guys".  I'm guessing the books are pre-screened by The Comic Mint as soon as they receive it from Diamond.  Then the 500+ copies are likely pre-screened again by "the other guys" before getting slabbed.  You have to trust that A) "the other guys" are legitimately picking 9.8's and not just selecting the best and saying they're 9.8's and B) that they really are destroying any remaining copies to keep the distribution run at 300.  If you ever see a raw copy floating around, then you know something ain't right.

34 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

You have to trust that A) "the other guys" are legitimately picking 9.8's and not just selecting the best and saying they're 9.8's and B) that they really are destroying any remaining copies to keep the distribution run at 300.  If you ever see a raw copy floating around, then you know something ain't right.

A) is a built-in, ready-made conflict of interest, and

B) the precise wording is "permanently dispose of the overage", which DOES NOT mean they will be destroyed. It merely IMPLIES it. And, they have a built-in excuse for why you may see other copies in public in the future: "It is industry standard practice for publishers to award complimentary copies of books to the writers/artists etc involved in each project at their discretion. These copies are outside the scope of this offering, and COULD make their way into the marketplace."

There's nothing preventing anyone from "permanently disposing" of the overage into a longbox in their house for a year or two.

CBCS is absolutely foolish to be getting into this sort of situation, but, then, there's no one responsible in charge there. This is Franklin Mint/QVC type behavior, here. 

It's very, very unfortunate that we have once again reached this phase in the comic book industry, instead of relying on creative people telling stories in which buyers are interested.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

A) is a built-in, ready-made conflict of interest, and

B) the precise wording is "permanently dispose of the overage", which DOES NOT mean they will be destroyed. It merely IMPLIES it. And, they have a built-in excuse for why you may see other copies in public in the future: "It is industry standard practice for publishers to award complimentary copies of books to the writers/artists etc involved in each project at their discretion. These copies are outside the scope of this offering, and COULD make their way into the marketplace."

There's nothing preventing anyone from "permanently disposing" of the overage into a longbox in their house for a year or two.

CBCS is absolutely foolish to be getting into this sort of situation, but, then, there's no one responsible in charge there. This is Franklin Mint/QVC type behavior, here. 

It's very, very unfortunate that we have once again reached this phase in the comic book industry, instead of relying on creative people telling stories in which buyers are interested.

Oh geez.  I didn't even read the Important Note.  :facepalm: