• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #800 Variants

100 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, MGH said:

They need to have a live streaming of the rejected books getting thrown into a fire  one by one. :)

I remember some store posted a Facebook video of them destroying a pallette of comics (I forget which store and which exclusive it was).  But it was simultaneously good that they were doing it to limit the print run, yet heartbreaking to see some reasonably okay comics just getting destroyed.

11 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I remember some store posted a Facebook video of them destroying a pallette of comics (I forget which store and which exclusive it was).  But it was simultaneously good that they were doing it to limit the print run, yet heartbreaking to see some reasonably okay comics just getting destroyed.

It was Bulletproof. The were destroying the damaged copies they were going to receive replacements for.
When this happened again they just drilled a hole in them or something and gave them to the military to distribute.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

It was Bulletproof. The were destroying the damaged copies they were going to receive replacements for.
When this happened again they just drilled a hole in them or something and gave them to the military to distribute.

That's a good way to do it.  The books go to a good place and the books are sufficiently damaged to eliminate a market for them with collectors.

Hi, 

As some of you know, I am a longtime collector of ASM, including the variants. I have always stored my books ordered on UPC-code.

As most of you will know, Marvel start numbering with UPC codes ending on 11, 21, 31, 41 etc. After reaching 91, they continue with 16, 17, 18 etcetera. The digits 12 u/i 15 are saved for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th printings. The digits 00 u/i 10 are never used. 

If I order the 67 known ASM800 variants in this way, I find that the digits 21, 91, 59 and 72 are missing.

This is not uncommon for Marvel, although it didn't happen anymore after ASM 25/781. Apparently, sometimes planned variants are scrapped. However, with the outrageous number of 67 variant covers for ASM800 it is easy to lose track and there is the possibility that I am overlooking something. So the question is, does anybody know about ASM800 variants with the digits 21, 91, 59 and 72.

Thank you, E

image.png.cbce97832d9268c89c479a1d57b02d5b.png

Edited by Dutch74
accidentally two tables inserted

By the way, after ASM800 I finally gave up collecting ASM variants. If I look at the prices on the internet, many others did the same. ASM 1/802 1:2000 was sold for less than $800, whereas the ASM25/781 1:1000 still went for $2.5-3k. Also the ASM1/802 Ottley virgin 1:200 goes for very low prices.

If things would revert back to normal, there would be a good chance that I would be drawn back into collecting these variants. But with 59 variants of ASM1/802 and at least 15 variants for ASM2/803, I am so quickly falling behind that now this doesn't seem likely. 

1 hour ago, Dutch74 said:

By the way, after ASM800 I finally gave up collecting ASM variants. If I look at the prices on the internet, many others did the same. ASM 1/802 1:2000 was sold for less than $800, whereas the ASM25/781 1:1000 still went for $2.5-3k. Also the ASM1/802 Ottley virgin 1:200 goes for very low prices.

If things would revert back to normal, there would be a good chance that I would be drawn back into collecting these variants. But with 59 variants of ASM1/802 and at least 15 variants for ASM2/803, I am so quickly falling behind that now this doesn't seem likely. 

We all get there in the end Elmer. It's a shame Marvel can't see what they're doing - the variant hunt is now the preserve of only the very rich. I still have tinges of regret when I look back on my Spidey completist days, and it seems alien to me that I'm no longer up on what's out there, but bailing out at 701 was the right decision.  

4 hours ago, MGH said:

I feel for you asm completionists out there... 50+ books per issue over a few months is very very hard to keep up with 

I stopped here:

1865195680_Volume31Set3.thumb.jpg.1c3739e03e86148f29c240690fe26a52.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dutch74 said:

Those were the good days: only 49 variant covers for an ASM1/732. xD. Nice picture, it seems you have placed them in order of UPC-code as well. UPC-codes ending on 61 and 91 were missing for that book.

Yep, I used to do the UPC thing. Miss it in a way, but it's gone beyond silly now. 

I was gung-ho about snagging everything until the Vol 3 #1 had two bazillion variants. Now, I only grab the "normal" variants and the retailer ones that look cool enough to spend money on. I wanted to get all of the 800 variants, but stopped when prices started dropping. I'll probably revisit in a year or so and go back and pick up the leftovers. 

I did manage to get a Ditko B&W 1:1000 variant for cheap and had it come back CGC 9.8, so pretty excited about that one!

On 9/1/2018 at 7:15 PM, ProcessedMeatMan said:

I was gung-ho about snagging everything until the Vol 3 #1 had two bazillion variants. Now, I only grab the "normal" variants and the retailer ones that look cool enough to spend money on. I wanted to get all of the 800 variants, but stopped when prices started dropping. I'll probably revisit in a year or so and go back and pick up the leftovers. 

I did manage to get a Ditko B&W 1:1000 variant for cheap and had it come back CGC 9.8, so pretty excited about that one!

Yeah that volume 3 did it for me too. I was still getting most of the variants up until #801, but doubt I go back to get the rest of those #1's. Up to 700 will be good enough for me. Will probably sell off the post #700 variants. Other than the #666 issues, I would consider these as legit variants. Even #700 had a manageable amount for just about anyone that wanted to go after them all. Only buying a variant now if I really like it, not because I have to have it. I did pick up the second print of #1 with the Pete/MJ kiss on the cover. :frustrated: The store exclusives and artist exclusives are becoming a huge pet peeve. Wish they would go away.

Edited by Not A Clone

Hi,

Hereby the list of the ASM1/802 variants. It seems this time there are no gaps in the UPC-codes, although the Horn ultimate edition has not yet been confirmed.

It seems there are 221 different covers for ASM797 u/i ASM803. The award for ruining the market goes to Unknown Comic Books and ComicXposure. They were responsible for nearly 70 of the variants.

After ASM803 things got back to normal. ASM3/804 'only' had 8 variants. 

image.thumb.png.e3c91d214226581f2e56cb345045a921.png

25 minutes ago, Dutch74 said:

Hi,

Hereby the list of the ASM1/802 variants. It seems this time there are no gaps in the UPC-codes, although the Horn ultimate edition has not yet been confirmed.

It seems there are 221 different covers for ASM797 u/i ASM803. The award for ruining the market goes to Unknown Comic Books and ComicXposure. They were responsible for nearly 70 of the variants.

After ASM803 things got back to normal. ASM3/804 'only' had 8 variants. 

Nice work Elmer. Given that I used to triple board / double mylite my Spidey's this lot would've needed their own garage. So glad I'm out of the completist game.

Actually, a little part of me is insanely annoyed that I don't have them all :eek:

If they want to make it interesting just do 3 or 4 covers at various ratios, but polybag the regular issue and do variant centerfold inserts (or back covers if you can polybag so as to not see the back). People would actually buy the regular issue to try and get the 1:500 jsc mjw bikini/red nose variant.