• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REMOVED - posting guidelines - LOCKED - disruptive thread - USPS double box method "illegal"?

175 posts in this topic

I've been having an interesting conversation going back and forth on eBay with a buyer who accused me of "stealing from the government" and of "being a thief" because I use the method of placing a 1092 box into a 1095 priority box for protection. I ship using Priority service, so I'm not like those sellers who cut up priority boxes to use as packing when they ship First Class or Media Mail.

Am I doing something against the USPS regulations? It seems if I'm using their free boxes to ship using the service they require for those boxes I should be OK, right?

Just now, Logan510 said:

I've been having an interesting conversation going back and forth on eBay with a buyer who accused me of "stealing from the government" and of "being a thief" because I use the method of placing a 1092 box into a 1095 priority box for protection. I ship using Priority service, so I'm not like those sellers who cut up priority boxes to use as packing when they ship First Class or Media Mail.

Am I doing something against the USPS regulations? It seems if I'm using their free boxes to ship using the service they require for those boxes I should be OK, right?

That is absolutely absurd! Wow. 

I suppose, technically, he may be correct. One shipment = one box. When you double box, you're basically getting "free" packing material from the government. 

BUT...come on guy. lol 

I can't believe you're getting lectured on that. 

2 minutes ago, Ottobord said:

Its technically illegal

Do you have anything from the USPS showing this? I don't want to be doing anything illegal.

Interesting to know that once you receive a Priority box, yes you’ve paid for shipping and it is now your box. Can you recycle it slash cut it up and use it to ship another item? I was caught and told that’s a no no. So now I bring all my used Priority boxes back to the P.O. and fill their trash cans with them. 

12 minutes ago, newshane said:

That is absolutely absurd! Wow. 

I suppose, technically, he may be correct. One shipment = one box. When you double box, you're basically getting "free" packing material from the government. 

BUT...come on guy. lol 

I can't believe you're getting lectured on that. 

I would think that since it makes the package heavier and costs more to ship they would be OK with that :idea:

The odd thing is he left me positive feedback, but in so many words called me a thief with the feedback.

I offered to give him a full refund and to also pay for return shipping since this affected him so much, but of course he didn't take me up on that because Cool Books ™

Casey,

I hope you had a great birthday.   

I am surprised a "buyer" would be upset that you tried your best to protect his purchase.   

I wonder if this same "buyer" follows people home from Home Depot, when they buy paint, to make sure they are not using the paint stirrer for any other purpose.   

1 minute ago, Hudson said:

Casey,

I hope you had a great birthday.   

I am surprised a "buyer" would be upset that you tried your best to protect his purchase.   

I wonder if this same "buyer" follows people home from Home Depot, when they buy paint, to make sure they are not using the paint stirrer for any other purpose.   

Thank you :)

That's what I found so weird, he got a good deal on the book and it cost me more to ship than he paid for shipping and I usually get compliments from buyers for the way I package books.

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Thank you :)

That's what I found so weird, he got a good deal on the book and it cost me more to ship than he paid for shipping and I usually get compliments from buyers for the way I package books.

Shame on you

Using two USPS boxes but only paying for one. Hmm... hm

How is that different from jamming a dozen USPS Priority-Express bubble-envelopes into aPriority FR box for padding?

Edited by jcjames

1 minute ago, greggy said:

Shame on you

I'll cheap out on supplies next time I ship you something, I don't want to offend your delicate sensibilities.

:foryou:

Just now, jcjames said:

Using two USPS boxes but only paying for one. Hmm... hm

How is that different from jamming a dozen USPS Priority-Express bubble-envelopes into a FR box for padding?

I would gladly pay for those boxes as they work perfectly, but they don't offer those boxes for sale, they give them away. :sorry:

Just now, Logan510 said:

I'll cheap out on supplies next time I ship you something, I don't want to offend your delicate sensibilities.

:foryou:

You never use flat rate boxes anyways.

Regardless, USPS boxes essentially are the low end of quality if you really look at them.

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I would gladly pay for those boxes as they work perfectly, but they don't offer those boxes for sale, they give them away. :sorry:

No, you're using "free" boxes only because you're supposed to pay for them when you ship. Again, same as using all the "free" bubble-envelopes for extra padding in a priority box.

Read what it says on the box: "This packaging is the property of the united states postal service and is provided solely for use in sending priority Mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of federal law. This packaging is not for resale."

It's not for "padding", it's for shipping.

However, if you really want to live a thug-life, cut up the priority mail boxes and use them for padding on comics sent by media mail.

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

No, you're using "free" boxes only because you're supposed to pay for them when you ship. Again, same as using all the "free" bubble-envelopes for extra padding in a priority box.

Read what it says on the box: "This packaging is the property of the united states postal service and is provided solely for use in sending priority Mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of federal law. This packaging is not for resale."

It's not for "padding", it's for shipping.

However, if you really want to live a thug-life, cut up the priority mail boxes and use them for padding on comics sent by media mail.

I honestly think the way it's stated isn't clear. Yes we're technically using the second box for "padding", but we're also using it to ship...as opposed to using free bubble mailers for packaging inside the box, plus, it makes the box heavier so it costs more to ship.

I'm going to try and call them on my lunch break and see if I can get anyone on the phone who knows exactly...for curiosity sake.

When my Ex tried to start a business she went and picked up a stack of the priority boxes, which I just happened to find recently. These boxes are close to ten years old and I have used them to store household items as they fit nicely on the storage shelf. So now I wonder which one of us has broken the law, her for getting them and never using them, or me for discovering them years later and using them how I see fit...Sorry but this is all silly...I'll probably be arrested by the same people that will also get me for tearing off the old mattress tag...