• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many is too many?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Had a fun conversation with a friend the other day.  He told me he recently picked up 65 pages by the same artist. The most I have by one artist is 12 pieces, and personally I feel that it's  already too much. 1st off - I feel greedy because I am hoarding to some extent and 2nd - when the time comes that I need to sell or my family sells - there may be too many piecess by the same artist to unload. All my eggs in one basket so to speak.  Having told him this, he confided back that he has hundreds of pieces by another artist and that he would gladly buy more if he could - even though this artist and the run he did is not high value.  I mentioned Spidey is my favorite and that I couldnt afford to buy tons of that.  He brought up Mike Burney and his Amazing Spiderman collection.  As a fan - He went after it when others didn't. Now a lot of the best stuff is tied up in one spot. 

Anyhow - what are your opinions on this? What is too many? Is there such a thing even? Any other related thoughts?

Edited by Panelfan1

4 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

Had a fun conversation with a friend the other day.  He told me he recently picked up 65 pages by the same artist. The most I have by one artist is 12 pieces, and personally I feel that it's  already too much. 1st off - I feel greedy because I am hoarding to some extent and 2nd - when the time comes that I need to sell or my family sells - there may be too many piecess by the same artist to unload. All my eggs in one basket so to speak.  Having told him this, he confided back that he has hundreds of pieces by another artist and that he would gladly buy more if he could - even though this artist and the run he did is not high value.  I mentioned Spidey is my favorite and that I couldnt afford to buy tons of that.  He brought up Mike Burney and his Amazing Spiderman collection.  As a fan - He went after it when others didn't. Now a lot of the best stuff is tied up in one spot. 

Anyhow - what are your opinions on this? What is too many? Is there such a thing even? Any other related thoughts?

Guess it depends on why you’re buying the art. 

21 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

To me, it's like asking how much is too much sex?

Would you rather bang 20 amazing chicks or 10,000 ehh ones?

I know what I like to collect. I've been lucky enough to get a nice percentage of pages from a series I like (a few hundred) and about 100 pages from another series I like. I'll be happy to add to either collection, prices permitting. 

I'm not much of a "one prime example" collector.  :makepoint:

tumblr_lv77tiG7qx1r68zx1o1_500.gif

Also depends on the artist I think. I am a bit heavy in the Ralph Bakshi and Mike Ploog (movie only) area, but for whatever reason its a black hole of want I cannot seem to fill. That's a bit niche for a hoard.

Edited by cstojano

I don’t think there is a number IMHO. I just bought a page from an artist that I really like as I loved his run on a book. I was joking with another collector who has the same affinity for the artist and when I messaged him and said “Like I need another page from ____” and shared the page. We both laughed as we both find the art and price very appealing when his stuff comes up. I don’t have hundreds of pages from him (my collection is not that large) but I continue to add his art to my collection every year and will probably continue to do so as long as I am able to keep finding it and the price stays level. I don’t worry about challenges of selling.

I think it really depends.  the same number of page (and for this scenario, the exact same pages) with different collectors will spark different reactions. Some will sell in order to diversify, some will continue to accumulate because they like it.

I'm generally trying to focus my collection and "be good", so I have sold some pieces where I already have other examples.  But other runs I will continue to add if I like the page (both the content and the price).  Some examples I have trimmed from several down to 1, while others I have 50+ pages and will add more without hesitation.

Malvin

Over the 35 years I've been collecting OA I'd often gone the route of having (many) multiple examples by the same artist.

At one time I owned over 150 GARTH daily strips by Frank Bellamy (UK artist), as one example of a heavy collecting focus.  Fact was, I had access (at the time) to cherry-pick all the best  examples from the majority of originals being held by the artist's son at affordable prices and I got carried away with my spending habits.

Along the way, I eventually came to the realization that too much of one thing tends to dilute your interest (in the sense that I was leaning towards hoarding and that I was seldom looking at strips I'd amassed).  

I guess it all boils down to how you, as an individual collector, want to shape your collection and what works best for you.  Different strokes and all that . . .

For myself, nowadays I mostly prefer diversity (though there are exceptions . . . a couple of storylines I'd like to complete, for example).  Generally, a few good examples of one thing works best for me and keeps it fresh.

Currently I'm at over 40 original Movie Poster paintings with my present collecting focus.  More examples than I original planned to acquire but prices were surprisingly affordable for the most part (so difficult to pass on).  I'm now slowing down on that collecting interest, becoming very picky on new additions, as I don't want to go the route of overkill . . . again.

Edited by The Voord

5 hours ago, The Voord said:

Over the 35 years I've been collecting OA I'd often gone the route of having (many) multiple examples by the same artist.

At one time I owned over 150 GARTH daily strips by Frank Bellamy (UK artist), as one example of a heavy collecting focus.  Fact was, I had access (at the time) to cherry-pick all the best  examples from the majority of originals being held by the artist's son at affordable prices and I got carried away with my spending habits.

Along the way, I eventually came to the realization that too much of one thing tends to dilute your interest (in the sense that I was leaning towards hoarding and that I was seldom looking at strips I'd amassed).  

I guess it all boils down to how you, as an individual collector, want to shape your collection and what works best for you.  Different strokes and all that . . .

For myself, nowadays I mostly prefer diversity (though there are exceptions . . . a couple of storylines I'd like to complete, for example).  Generally, a few good examples of one thing works best for me and keeps it fresh.

Currently I'm at over 40 original Movie Poster paintings with my present collecting focus.  More examples than I original planned to acquire but prices were surprisingly affordable for the most part (so difficult to pass on).  I'm now slowing down on that collecting interest, becoming very picky on new additions, as I don't want to go the route of overkill . . . again.

I think with the 40 paintings- if it' not all the same guy - then its not too much.  It' Like having 40 different comic pages.

4 hours ago, Phantalien said:

How much was each piece that your friend bought?  If they were really inexpensive and he really likes it then I don't blame him.

I didn' ask - but I got the sense they were under 100 each .

18 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

I think with the 40 paintings- if it' not all the same guy - then its not too much.  It' Like having 40 different comic pages.

Eleven different artists though 22 paintings by Tom Chantrell - which is fine, as he was a prolific and leading talent in the UK.

I currently have a fairly deep interest in one artist and body of work. I don't think there's a wrong way to go about it, whether you want a couple solid examples across a breadth of artists, or go deep on a few. There's lots of ways to have fun collecting. 

On 5/3/2018 at 8:28 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Based on the horde of Aparo pages sold via HA, and their final hammer prices, I’d say:

1. Greed is good (hmm, now where have I heard that line before) ?

2. No problems with too many eggs affecting the sales price

3. Just look at the plethora of Kirby art for sale in every HA auction, anywhere from a dozen to two dozen pieces, with no impact on prices 

4. If you can afford it, horde it.

Edited by jjonahjameson11