• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Theakston?

5 posts in this topic

I'm guessing here but this looks like the usual lightbox on vellu job by Theakston, no direct Kirby on this and his pencils would be separate on something else.

c91084cf-8240-4e5f-9578-19fdb6fae5f2.jpg

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/18440899-jack-kirby-s-fourth-world-jack-kirby-and-greg-theakston-2-x-signed?amc=inc.Catawiki.295145.307626.59848&utm_content=295145&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=pn

Anybody know for sure?

I can’t say for certain but it sure looks like a lightbox job to me. I’d go as far to say a pretty poor one at that. Almost looks as is somebody copied a Theakston lightbox job. There’s a lot that looks off, above and beyond the the type of issues that crop up in late period Kirby when his eyesight and health were faltering.

I've seen a lot of these Theakston lightbox inks (Greg still had a few when last we spoke). It's definitely Theakston's lightbox inks from Kirby pencils for the Kalibak entry in the Who's Who in DC Comics.Theakston was a decent inker over Kirby, but his inks changed a lot of Kirby's style and, in my opinion, softened the edges quite a bit. I'd say Kirby didn't even sign it, but it was signed in his style by Theakston. I'd ask Greg, but his phone number has recently been disconnected and he dropped off of Facebook over a year ago. I am positive, though, that this is Theakston lightbox inks from Kirby's pencils (which were probably pretty bad, so Greg actually did a good job of reconstructing everything to make it all LOOK like decent Kirby).