• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can People Appeal Grades?

11 posts in this topic

I got this book signed specifically to have a 9.8 copy. I’ve got different variants signed by the same person, but I wanted a pristine copy.

I had it signed, and then pressed by CCS, and it came back as a 9.6. I can’t see any issues with the book though. There aren’t really any spine ticks, the corners are sharp, and I’m just not seeing anything that would have dropped this to a 9.6. Can I ask for an explanation, or an appeal?

Edited by Crumb93

You can certainly have CGC take another look at it (at your expense) or you can be happy to have a beautiful copy of a book you enjoy owning. Remember this: Every time someone handles your book, it becomes more likely that some type of damage will occur. I hope this helps...

On 5/4/2018 at 2:35 PM, Crumb93 said:

I got this book signed specifically to have a 9.8 copy. I’ve got different variants signed by the same person, but I wanted a pristine copy.

I had it signed, and then pressed by CCS, and it came back as a 9.6. I can’t see any issues with the book though. There aren’t really any spine ticks, the corners are sharp, and I’m just not seeing anything that would have dropped this to a 9.6. Can I ask for an explanation, or an appeal?

check the corners and edges for minor wear (whiteness), bindery tears or white tufting at the spine corners.

check for color/ink rub/streaks 

the defect could also be in the book intetior (interior pages or cover) that you can't see from the slab.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:37 PM, comicquant said:

Cgc is tight right now especially with moderns.  If you have a spine tick on your book it’ll come back a 9.6.  It seems they are no longer handing out 9.8s.  

Is this the general consensus at the moment? I, personally, have not gotten a single 9.8 in quite some time despite several being pristine and wasn't sure if I was just unlucky or if this is a systemic shift in grading. 

If your books are new Marvels, don't expect to get 9.8 grades all the time. The inks Marvel is using with printing is easily scuffing on backing boards. My suggestion is to slab new books immediately. Put the comic in a bag by itself, then throw the bagged comic in a bag with board. Don't have the board directly touching the back cover. The latest high priced victim is the Albuqueque (sp?) Thanos #13. I've seen copies drop from being pulled out of slab to get signed either from 9.8 to 9.6 or 9.6 to 9.4. Some covers pick up fingerprints way too easily, so make sure those covers you handle with gloves if you can. It's not like the old days with news print paper and thicker covers. That's another thing is that the covers are being made so thin that the slightest movement are creating tears by the staples. Good luck with collecting new books.

I just got two 9.8s back that I was a bit surprised about.  1 had a little bit of black marker or printer error on the cover and the other had slight spine wear and a blemish on the cover.  These were both older books though (1980s) so not sure if that makes a difference.