• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fanzine and Convention Program Book Appreciation Thread
4 4

100 posts in this topic

Hello everyone cool post not sure if there buyers for such as this or collectors. But I did run into a bunch (200plus I think give or take). Of this " fanzine" type of stuff..

From mags. To newspapers to comics . Here is a sample . I liked it because it says neal Adam's on cover of this one. So i figured this must be early says of neal. 

" champion 5" Its called. If anyone wouldn't mind helping me figure out the rest of them would be great!

20181202_092116.jpg

On 12/10/2018 at 12:08 PM, golden43tiger said:

Hello everyone cool post not sure if there buyers for such as this or collectors. But I did run into a bunch (200plus I think give or take). Of this " fanzine" type of stuff..

From mags. To newspapers to comics . Here is a sample . I liked it because it says neal Adam's on cover of this one. So i figured this must be early says of neal. 

" champion 5" Its called. If anyone wouldn't mind helping me figure out the rest of them would be great!

20181202_092116.jpg

I'm hardly an expert but I'll do my best.  Fanzines are collectible but I believe the number of guys currently chasing this stuff is low.  They do sell on ebay in the  'collectibles' 'comics' 'fan clubs and zines' section.  There's currently a Disneydom #1 in the disney section of ebay, asking price $79 but I'm not sure if that price is reasonable. 

Here's a search of the fan clubs fanzine section of ebay with a blank search box, sorted highest price to lowest to give you an idea of what's valuable.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Collectible-Comics-Fan-Clubs-Zines/3966/bn_2311667?rt=nc&_from=R40&_nkw=&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_osacat=3966&_odkw=jerry+bails&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC4.A0.H0.X.TRS5

Generally the older they are the better - historic and rare, fanzines by relatively famous comic fans like Jerry Bails typically sell for more

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=jerry+bails&_sacat=3966&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=16

early issues of long running fanzines do better, and fanzines with better content or interesting art do better.

I do take boxes of these to shows and have had okay results.  If a Conan collector finds a fanzine in my boxes with a Conan illustration he's never seen he'll buy it.  If a Jack Kirby collector finds a fanzine in my boxes with an article about Kirby or a Kirby image he'll probably buy it.