• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cardboard Mailers like Gemini Supply

36 posts in this topic

Just stop using them.

If you cant lace the mailer with additional cardboard don't use them. I have had 3 come to my house damaged in the corners where they are weak the last couple of months.
This time it corner dinged 4 out of the 5 comics that were shipped in them. 

Please don't come in here and tell me you have shipped 1,000s without issue. These mailers suck unless you reinforce them.

End of rantrant

I use them all the time too, but do add multiple layers of cardboard up to the 1 pound first class limit. If it's a really expensive book it then goes into a Legal size priority envelope with even more cardboard.

I've noticed that some people don't square them up when folding the edges, which would lead to less protection, but overall, if you don't know how to package, I'd much prefer the gemini folder over a box. If you don't know what you are doing, a box can be a disaster.

Sorry, but I like them too. :foryou:

There are definitely some tricks to make them work better. Specifically:

1. I wrap the book in bubble wrap, then tape it securely to the interior holder with scotch tape.
2. Fresh mailers can pop open. I use scotch tape to make sure the interior holder stays shut.
3. In addition to taping the mailer shut, I add a strip of shipping tape to each "open" edge to keep things tight an secure.
4. "DO NOT BEND" stamp.
5. For expensive books I add additional reinforcement. Or put the mailer inside some other container.

Edited by adampasz

2 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

I prefer these: http://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/330/comic-mailers

I have had 0 problems after mailing out over 500 of them and they fit perfectly in a priority mail bubble envelope. 

I've never had one of those delivered to my house. The size seems right it gives a little room to get cardboard in. They are rather expensive though
for a bulk seller though.

2 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

Big time saver and work very well if you put them in a legal sized priority envelope.

That's exactly how all 3 of mine in the past couple of months were damaged. Now in this last case it was 5 books in one that might have been part of the issue.

The other times the seller didn't secure the book on the inside which can help as well, but really shipping an expensive book in these without reinforcement
is just asking for an issue.

2 hours ago, adampasz said:

Sorry, but I like them too. :foryou:

There are definitely some tricks to make them work better. Specifically:

1. I wrap the book in bubble wrap, then tape it securely to the interior holder with scotch tape.
2. Fresh mailers can pop open. I use scotch tape to make sure the interior holder stays shut.
3. In addition to taping the mailer shut, I add a strip of shipping tape to each "open" edge to keep things tight an secure.
4. "DO NOT BEND" stamp.
5. For expensive books I add additional reinforcement. Or put the mailer inside some other container.

Exactly if you reinforce them or secure them well its increases your chances of success. I will use them as a repeat when I buy,
but only if I add cardboard sleeves on each side to protect the weak corners.

I use them and haven’t had any issues either. Like them too.

Center books and then tape them. Additional cardboard does go along way as you mentioned to reinforce.

Even in mailers these get handled rough just like anything else that’s shipped.  

I have received a few from others that have had corners dings as well so it might be chance in most cases.

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage added

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Just stop using them.

If you cant lace the mailer with additional cardboard don't use them. I have had 3 come to my house damaged in the corners where they are weak the last couple of months.
This time it corner dinged 4 out of the 5 comics that were shipped in them. 

Please don't come in here and tell me you have shipped 1,000s without issue. These mailers suck unless you reinforce them.

End of rantrant

I disagree that you should stop using them UNLESS you have a better method and flimsy bubblemailers are not it unless you also reinforce them with very sturdy cardboard sandwiches.

I 100% agree that if you do use Gemini or other similar type cardboard fold over mailers that you MUST (I repeat MUST) secure it to the Gemini mailer by doing at least 1 of 2 things:

1. Double board the comic in the bag and secure it using tape to the mailer by placing the comic face down and tape the comic on as many edges as you can to the Gemini mailer.

2. Use at least 1 piece (2 are better) of sturdy cardboard that is larger than the comic backboard by up to 1/2" all around and tape the bagged/boarded comic face down (never apply type to the face up spine) on all 4 sides.

EVERY comic I have received in a gemini mailer or any other boxed mailer where the comic was not secured in some way to prevent the bagged boarded comic from freely floating/shifting has resulted in a damaged corner, spine, and in some extreme cases tears from the comic corner tearing through the polybag (even mylar).

I recommend always using a cardboard sandwich wrapped in bubblewrap then placed inside the Gemin mailer.

Option 1: bagged and boarded comic only (full back/mylar used here) taped face down on 3 on all 4 edges to the Gemini mailer.  Painters tape works best.

bag-board only.jpg

Option 2: taped to a single piece of cardboard larger than the comic up to 1/2" on all 4 sides:
1 cardboard piece.jpg

Then place the comic and cardboard face down onto the Gemin Mailer.  Tape the cardboard to the mailer as well.  You could also flip the cardboard the other way so that you only see the cardboard and not the comic back board in the picture below.

1 cardboard taped to mailer.jpg

Option 3 RECOMMENDED: Cardboard sandwich: Bagged/Boarded Comic taped to 1 piece of cardboard as in Option 2 above and then place another piece of cardboard on top and tape both pieces of cardboard together on all 4 sides making a cardboard sandwich. 

cardboard sandwich.jpg

Secure the cardboard sandwich in the mailer with tape as well.

cardboard in mailer.jpg

Close and secure.

Otherwise you obviously don't care about ensuring that the comic has the best chance at arriving undamaged at your customers.  Not securing them in the mailer is gambling on the comic arriving damaged and the buyer caring enough to initiate a return.  Maybe it works for you not securing it 9 times out of 10 but it really sucks to be that 10th customer.

Edited by justafan

I only use them by themselves for eBay returns and I always use cardboard reinforcement on the inside. On the rare occasion I sell a raw book, I use a gemini mailer with the cardboard reinforcement, but then put that inside a USPS double box with bubble wrap. Not the cheapest way to send a book, but the customer always seems pleased their book arrived safely and that's more important to me than saving a dollar or two on the back end.

3 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I only use them by themselves for eBay returns and I always use cardboard reinforcement on the inside. On the rare occasion I sell a raw book, I use a gemini mailer with the cardboard reinforcement, but then put that inside a USPS double box with bubble wrap. Not the cheapest way to send a book, but the customer always seems pleased their book arrived safely and that's more important to me than saving a dollar or two on the back end.

I use USPS Priority box then put it in another priority box-

14 hours ago, kav said:

I use USPS Priority box then put it in another priority box-

Thief

19 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That scotch tape almost always breaks in the rigors of shipping - use something better.

Excellent point and I fully agree.   I recommended using painters tape in the post but scotch tape was all I had at the moment to illustrate the concept.  I have seen scotch tape break feebly.  Packing tape is also more durable.

22 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

I prefer these: http://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/330/comic-mailers

I have had 0 problems after mailing out over 500 of them and they fit perfectly in a priority mail bubble envelope. 

+1

At some point the post office is to blame.

We have all seen the horrors caused in shipping, but we could be talking a big difference in shipping material costs for reinforcement. Im not talking books worth $100's, I'm talking $20 books.

On 5/6/2018 at 9:23 AM, boomtown said:

I've noticed that some people don't square them up when folding the edges,

This....it is so important, yet most people don’t do it.

When you use them every fold has to be at 90 degree angles, or else it has little protection.

obviously using painters tape to secure book and at least one extra sheet of cardboard are standard as well.

I use Gemini Mailers, but I also use pre-cut cardboard pads as well, sold by...Gemini! I would never just plop the comic down into the mailer and call it a day. But when properly protected with cardboard pads, they're the best option for fast/safe shipping that I've come across. And as others have pointed out, if you want a little extra security, they fit very handily into a legal FRE. 

I'm a fan, have used them for years and will continue to do so.

Now, for pricier books, I will go with the cardboard sandwich/brick bubble wrapped and foamed peanut-ted in a 1092/1095 combo. But for the $5-$25 books that are my bread and butter, it's Gemini flash mailer all the way.