• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scott Williams seeking your opinion
1 1

86 posts in this topic

It's been discussed here many times, but I'm looking for current opinions from the collecting community about collecting sketches and art that use digital blue line.  Should probably have run a poll, but oh well...

I am changing up my process when I draw by doing much of the layout work digitally, and then transferring (printing) those layouts onto art board with a blue line, and then finishing the drawing with traditional pencil and ink.  Final art is all on one board, not a pencil page and an ink page.  My question is--Does this process discourage you, the fans, from considering buying either published or commissioned art done in this way or is it a non issue?

I don't see it as any different than doing the layouts/pencils in blue pencils like the old school masters, but I think older collectors in particular have an aversion to anything that has a digital component?  Or am I wrong?  Let me know what you think, either in simple thumbs up or thumbs down terms, or if you'd like to elaborate on your opinion a bit, by all means.

Thanks!

Scott

I wouldn’t mind. My preference is only pencil and ink, but because you still have both of those, it’s negligible to me. 

Inks without pencils on digital bluelines I have a problem with. 

Is there a reason artists don’t typically lightbox over digital? Is a lightbox unpleasing to work over?

Edited by Mr. Machismo

19 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

It's been discussed here many times, but I'm looking for current opinions from the collecting community about collecting sketches and art that use digital blue line.  Should probably have run a poll, but oh well...

I am changing up my process when I draw by doing much of the layout work digitally, and then transferring (printing) those layouts onto art board with a blue line, and then finishing the drawing with traditional pencil and ink.  Final art is all on one board, not a pencil page and an ink page.  My question is--Does this process discourage you, the fans, from considering buying either published or commissioned art done in this way or is it a non issue?

I don't see it as any different than doing the layouts/pencils in blue pencils like the old school masters, but I think older collectors in particular have an aversion to anything that has a digital component?  Or am I wrong?  Let me know what you think, either in simple thumbs up or thumbs down terms, or if you'd like to elaborate on your opinion a bit, by all means.

Thanks!

Scott

I think for myself it wouldn't matter, for others it  might  So if I am understanding, this is obviously sketches by you only, not you physically inking another penciller's blueline?

When this happens in published pages, in my mind it's not really the traditional frowned upon "inks over bluelines" because it's the same artist.  In my mind again, "inks over blue lines" is only less desired because the "star" penciller didn't touch the paper, while a "non-star" inker was the one who did the work.

If the same artists is doing pencils and inks, I wouldn't care if the pencils were digital.

Malvin

It seems like a couple of artists have been working this way, and I actually like it. You end up getting the prelim as well so it is kind of even more "complete" than a pencil and ink piece IMO. I also like being able to see where the piece changed in relation to those blue line layouts to finished lines.

I'm all for it, and I am a person who is pretty against buying digital work.

34 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Thanks!

Scott

If the pencil and inks are all "Scott Williams" then it doesn't bother me to have the process detailed above followed. I own a few covers that were done the way. Being that it was one artist all the way through it doesn't bother me. 

Where I see an issue, a significant one from a collector's standpoint, would be when the penciller and the inker are two different people and the final image only has a digital component by the penciller, and only the inker actually created/touched the artwork you're holding in your hands. 

So if the piece is "All Williams" so to speak, I'd have no qualms whatsoever of you taking layouts and placing them digitally and then pencilling and inking them yourself. It only raises an eyebrow if it becomes a piece "pencilled" by one artist and then inked or finished by another where the pencils aren't actually physically on the finished product. 

Some collectors definitely seem averse to blue line, and I imagine some will show up in thread sooner or later, but speaking for myself there are really only two problems that I have - when multiple versions of the same page result from the process as described by @comix4fun (a problem that is not totally unique to modern methods), and when the end result is a page displaying figures floating in a void... backgrounds to be digitally added later.

I also know that many of us also would prefer to see dialog on the page, but that ship has definitely sailed - and circumnavigated the globe a few times by this point - and it isn't very relevant to the thread, but I figured I'd mention it anyway since it is a common topic of discussion when this is brought up.

Of the blue lines abd inks are by the same artist, doesn’t bother me. 

Where it may become an issue down the road is if the blue li es get inked more than one time and re-sold multiple times that’s the potential downside. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I would probably stay away from it and not purchase anything with blue line digital.  I dont see anything wrong with digital prelims so the artist can get an idea and bearing on what he wants to create, I think that would be a great idea actually so you can add/delete layers as you build the prelim up.  But in the end I want just pencils and ink.  This is especially true for a commission piece for me

3 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I wouldn’t mind. My preference is only pencil and ink, but because you still have both of those, it’s negligible to me. 

Inks without pencils on digital bluelines I have a problem with. 

Is there a reason artists don’t typically lightbox over digital? Is a lightbox unpleasing to work over?

If the work is very complex, you will essentially have to draw that complex something twice when you lightbox.  Printout reduces a step and also keeps the spontaneity of the original sketch intact.

Edited by stinkininkin

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Hiya, Scott:

why are you considering the change?

I love the ability to make changes and manipulate the image in digital.  Changing sizes and proportions without having to constantly erase and redraw is awesome and efficient.  I do much better drawings this way, and I think that's what everyone wants (both the artist and the consumer).

I'm definitely in the camp of having everything "original" on one page. I want the whole process to be on the piece I own (even with the understanding that after inks, and erasing pencil lines I probably couldn't tell the difference). I won't buy a piece that is inked (by a different inker) over blue line pencils. I'm absolute on that. I'd maybe consider buying the pencils, but have no interest in the published, inked, blue line piece.

Now when you're talking about inks over blue lines by the same artist, that's another matter. I wouldn't rule that out completely, but it's a bit less desirable to me. 

I certainly understand all of the advantages to the artist by using more computer assistance. But from strictly a collectors view I don't like it.

--Mark T

Edited by marktom

3 minutes ago, marktom said:

I'm definitely in the camp of having everything "original" on one page. I want the whole process to be on the piece I own (even with the understanding that after inks, and erasing pencil lines I probably couldn't tell the difference. I won't buy a piece that is inked (by a different inker) over blue line pencils. I'm absolute on that. I'd maybe consider buying the pencils, but have no interest in the published, inked, blue line piece.

Now when you're talking about inks over blue lines by the same artist, that's another matter. I wouldn't rule that out completely, but it's a bit less desirable to me. 

I certainly understand all of the advantages to the artist by using more computer assistance. But from strictly a collectors view I don't like it.

--Mark T

Thanks Mark!  I probably should have also asked about age and relative collecting experience people have.  I'm assuming older fans are less open to any blue line/digital elements?  (and I have no idea how old you are Mark, I was just thinking out loud after reading your post).  And for the record, I don't think there are any right answers.  The heart wants what the heart wants.

9 minutes ago, marktom said:

I'm definitely in the camp of having everything "original" on one page. I want the whole process to be on the piece I own (even with the understanding that after inks, and erasing pencil lines I probably couldn't tell the difference). I won't buy a piece that is inked (by a different inker) over blue line pencils. I'm absolute on that. I'd maybe consider buying the pencils, but have no interest in the published, inked, blue line piece.

--Mark T

I agree with Mark. BTW I'm 45 years old, dont know if that tells you where Im at on the scale of collecting.  I probably would not purchase a blue line inked by someone else.  If at all, I would want the original pencil art from the artist then the inked as a pair.  

12 minutes ago, RB3 said:

I agree with Mark. BTW I'm 45 years old, dont know if that tells you where Im at on the scale of collecting.  I probably would not purchase a blue line inked by someone else.  If at all, I would want the original pencil art from the artist then the inked as a pair.  

Thank you!  How about a single piece by a single artist with the only blue line component being the layout, with the final pencils and inks on a single page/board?  That' really my main question of the moment.