• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hayao Miyazaki sketch sells for $300K
2 2

24 posts in this topic

Surely this needs to fit in the top selling art prices somewhere, as Mandarake auctions sold a Miyazaki shikishi board sketch of Nausicaa for ¥34,100,000 today (including buyer's premium), that's a little over $312,000 USD at today's exchange rate.

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=570452

nausicaa.jpg

I’m not an anime/manga fan, so I’m not familiar with the material.  Obviously, he’s one of (if not) the premier artists in that genre to command that kind of coin.  Not very large either (roughly 8.5 x 9).  

Is his stuff extremely rare?  Not offered often?  That’s the only thing I can see driving the price to those levels.

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

Only thing I want to know is if he inked this over bluelines or not.

And if Mark Landis has ever heard of him. :insane:

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I’m not an anime/manga fan, so I’m not familiar with the material.  Obviously, he’s one of (if not) the premier artists in that genre to command that kind of coin.  Not very large either (roughly 8.5 x 9).  

Is his stuff extremely rare?  Not offered often?  That’s the only thing I can see driving the price to those levels.

That is very cool. Nausicaa is one of my favorite films/manga.

I think a big part is that manga artists never sell their work, and Miyazaki is probably one of the most respected filmmakers and artists in Japan with stuff like Spirited Away, Totoro, Prince Mononoke, etc. Like 6 months ago the topic of manga art came up and the few sketches by author artists that have sneaked out have commanded hefty premiums (not this high of course). Like for example some sketches similar to this by Toriyama for Dragon Ball were in the $50K - $60K range.

46 minutes ago, Dokstarr said:

That is very cool. Nausicaa is one of my favorite films/manga.

I think a big part is that manga artists never sell their work, and Miyazaki is probably one of the most respected filmmakers and artists in Japan with stuff like Spirited Away, Totoro, Prince Mononoke, etc. Like 6 months ago the topic of manga art came up and the few sketches by author artists that have sneaked out have commanded hefty premiums (not this high of course). Like for example some sketches similar to this by Toriyama for Dragon Ball were in the $50K - $60K range.

Is there a reason for them not selling their work?

Published stuff from these guys doesn’t exist and or isn’t let go by the corps.    We had a whole discussion about this on another thread.    It seems that historically selling the OA was akin to selling the IP in Japan and so historically it was never ever done.    That’s led to a culture today where you are viewed as a failure if you sell your originals.   At least, that is my understanding.   

Hence, many of these artists’ work is exceptionally rare and published pieces not attainable, hence the market likes these standard size sketch boards that developed in japan

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Published stuff from these guys doesn’t exist and or isn’t let go by the corps.    We had a whole discussion about this on another thread.    It seems that historically selling the OA was akin to selling the IP in Japan and so historically it was never ever done.    That’s led to a culture today where you are viewed as a failure if you sell your originals.   At least, that is my understanding.   

Hence, many of these artists’ work is exceptionally rare and published pieces not attainable, hence the market likes these standard size sketch boards that developed in japan

Pretty much this.

As far as Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli is concerned, I believe all of his originals are now part of the studio museum, and even tickets to go to the museum sell out months in advance.

Keeping in mind the guy is pretty much Walt Disney (not the company) to a couple generations of people, increasingly globally. Along with the aforementioned generally sold out museum tickets, they are also currently building a theme park based on Studo Ghibli's releases akin to Disneyland. And if you really have no idea and have never watched Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc and so on and on and on... boy do I envy you watching these films for the first time.

My first in-theater viewing of one of Miazaki's films was Princess Mononoke, after Disney (very wisely) secured U.S. distribution rights to the Studio's films back in the 90s. My first Studio Ghibli film was Grave of the Fireflies back in the late 80s. That one is still.... phew... that's a serious film, animated or otherwise.

Calling what Ghibli does "anime" is a bit like calling Fanstasia or the works of Pixar "cartoons". They are films. And stunningly good ones.
For my money, right around the time that Disney animation started to become formulaic garbage (around the time of the Little Mermaid) Ghibli really took off and looking back over their track records, I'd take Ghibli's films over Disney's output of the same time period any day.

My .02¢
That all said of course, the price is still... wow!

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Keeping in mind the guy is pretty much Walt Disney (not the company) to a couple generations of people, increasingly globally. Along with the aforementioned generally sold out museum tickets, they are also currently building a theme park based on Studo Ghibli's releases akin to Disneyland. And if you really have no idea and have never watched Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc and so on and on and on... boy do I envy you watching these films for the first time.

My first in-theater viewing of one of Miazaki's films was Princess Mononoke, after Disney (very wisely) secured U.S. distribution rights to the Studio's films back in the 90s. My first Studio Ghibli film was Grave of the Fireflies back in the late 80s. That one is still.... phew... that's a serious film, animated or otherwise.

Calling what Ghibli does "anime" is a bit like calling Fanstasia or the works of Pixar "cartoons". They are films. And stunningly good ones.
For my money, right around the time that Disney animation started to become formulaic garbage (around the time of the Little Mermaid) Ghibli really took off and looking back over their track records, I'd take Ghibli's films over Disney's output of the same time period any day.

My .02¢
That all said of course, the price is still... wow!

+1

19 minutes ago, NicoV said:

This 60-yo page from Astro Boy by famous artist Osamu Tezuka was estimated 40-60k€ and sold 2 days ago for more than 210k€ + fees meh

https://www.artcurial.com/en/lot-osamu-tezuka-1928-1989-astro-boy-tome-4-encre-de-chine-et-aquarelle-pour-la-page-25-de-cet

You just beat me to this. Buyer is reported to be an European collector.

If bidding pool was limited only to American collectors, I'd be surprised to see it go for 10% of that winning bid.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

You just beat me to this. Buyer is reported to be an European collector.

If bidding pool was limited only to American collectors, I'd be surprised to see it go for 10% of that winning bid.

I'm not so sure, but I get your point.    I'd be worried about authenticity but assuming its legit, its a pretty sweet page and more in line with the 20-50k Toriyama sketches, etc.   (ie the higher price tag seems justified as its better than a sketch).   The Miyazaki does seem like quite the outlier, but I'm not very knowledgeable on the market for specific mangaka.    I have to assume it was just an epic pizzing match.    The death of the other stubio ghibli founder maybe brought some extra attention?

Edited by Bronty

23 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Surely this needs to fit in the top selling art prices somewhere, as Mandarake auctions sold a Miyazaki shikishi board sketch of Nausicaa for ¥34,100,000 today (including buyer's premium), that's a little over $312,000 USD at today's exchange rate.

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=570452

Looks like there is one other Miyazaki in their completed auctions, for around 50k

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=570454

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Looks like there is one other Miyazaki in their completed auctions, for around 50k

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=570454

design sheet for the Barracuda ship (Miyazaki directed this, but did not write the story).

I believe they have one more shikishi sketch still to come in this auction (not Nausicaa though), will be interesting to see where it lands.