• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics #2 (rural home 1945) variant??

21 posts in this topic

I’ve always been curious about this.

Below is a snap shot of the listing for Mask comics in overstreet (this is the 2016 edition).

B1BF3AF8-C49F-4F6B-9F45-C6AF2519340A.thumb.jpeg.39f1bb35bbc728f88cb9a04a5d2637f5.jpeg

OS denotes that there is a ‘no publisher’ variant for issue 2 and even assigns a slightly lower value to that variant. If you check the census listing, there is no separate notation for this variant. CGC has graded 34 copies of Mask Comics 2, is it possible that all of the copies that have been graded are in fact the original version, or is it that CGC does not notate the difference, and if not, why?

Also, the variant is listed in OS as having ‘Fall 1945’ on the indicia. The original version does not have this date, as it is listed as being published in April/May of 1945. All 34 graded copies have the ‘Fall 1945’ denotation on the label, which would then imply that these are in fact, the ‘no publisher’ variants. Which confuses me further...

F325BE36-5603-4567-B960-9CB3D3892F24.thumb.png.81abf5186d70377e1ae0ee796a1f49cf.png

I have a copy myself, but I purchased it slabbed and I have not cracked it to look at the indicia. I was curious to know, of those boardies who do have copies, which version of this issue do you have? And do you have any insight on this? Possibly a clarification? I’ve always wondered myself! Thanks!

E922ABAC-926B-4979-A845-6099A461A97B.jpeg.3d44dc7241305556a5d3fdb1c339a31b.jpeg

Edited by c0micbooknerdgirl

13 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Alan, isn't the original printing the scarce variant?

This is a "Fall" variant.

Was thinking the same thing. The Fall issue seems more common or is it that we just happen to have a bunch of lucky boardies? hm

1 minute ago, Jayman said:

Was thinking the same thing. The Fall issue seems more common or is it that we just happen to have a bunch of lucky boardies? hm

OS has the original Apr-May edition listed as scarce, but no scarce designation for the 'No publisher' variant.

9 minutes ago, c0micbooknerdgirl said:

OS has the original Apr-May edition listed as scarce, but no scarce designation for the 'No publisher' variant.

Fall is the more common Apr-May more scarce but your lucky just to one in my opinion

Mine is the Fall issue also one of two Crowley copies

102_6026.thumb.JPG.72a28c3728ebad5be6dc49553deecb41.JPG

Edited by comicjack

2 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Fall is the more common Apr-May more scarce but your lucky just to one in opinion

Mine is the Fall issue also one of two Crowley copies

102_6026.thumb.JPG.72a28c3728ebad5be6dc49553deecb41.JPG

Im curious to know if every copy graded by CGC has been the less scarce no publisher variant because there appear to be NO GRADED COPIES of the original edition. if so, Im wondering if its possible that CGC does not look for this difference when inputting/grading this book, and enters every copy as the 'Fall 1945' version. 

Edited by c0micbooknerdgirl

2 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I have seen the April issue but not graded but i think they put them all together on the census for what ever reason 

I’m assuming that’s what they do as well but it does confuse me considering the original edition is valued quite a bit more than the ‘no publisher’ variant. 

1 minute ago, c0micbooknerdgirl said:

I’m assuming that’s what they do as well but it does confuse me considering the original edition is valued quite a bit more than the ‘no publisher’ variant. 

When it comes to that book it gets action no matter what (thumbsu

This copy is also a Fall, as noted on the label. Heritage description talks about it being scarce.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/mask-comics-2-rural-home-1945-cgc-fn-55-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/825-44299.s

Mask 2.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

I think this is like the "(rare variation w/photo back-c") copy of Gold Key Star Trek #1. Has anyone ever seen a copy of Gold Key Star Trek #1 without the photo back cover?

On the Mask 2, Comics.org notes "Indicia on all known copies is blacked out and replaced with: 420 Desoto Ave, St. Louis Missouri. Dated Fall 1945. Issue Number appears on cover only."

15 minutes ago, drbanner said:

On the Mask 2, Comics.org notes "Indicia on all known copies is blacked out and replaced with: 420 Desoto Ave, St. Louis Missouri. Dated Fall 1945. Issue Number appears on cover only."

I was thinking the same thing but someone mentioned seeing a raw copy of the original version, so surely they must exist.....somewhere. Ive never seen one myself. Only the 'no publisher' variation.

Curious - does anyone have a copy (or pic) with Mask #2 indicia not blacked out and with an April/May 1945 date?  All these years later and I've still only seen 'Fall 1945' copies.

MCS looks to agree with OSPG that they exist:

242381487_ScreenShot2020-12-30at9_39_51PM.thumb.png.4c0b41ef46d8d8a17efab2446151a1e5.png

Edited by RedGiant