• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am just stunned at some of these prices...

24 posts in this topic

Is it just me, or does $9,560 seem a little high for this page? I know it's from a turning point issue, and this is a primary page.  I could have seen around 3k, but come, over 9.5k for this? It's a rather dull page by a decent but not great artist, and no Batman on the page.

Some one pull me back off the ledge...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/irv-novick-and--giordano-batman-217-story-page-5-original-art-dc-1969-/a/121818-11113.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by otherworldsj331
I forgot to paste the link.

13 minutes ago, otherworldsj331 said:

Is it just me, or does $9,560 seem a little high for this page? I know it's from a turning point issue, and this is a primary page.  I could have seen around 3k, but come, over 9.5k for this? It's a rather dull page by a decent but not great artist, and no Batman on the page.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/irv-novick-and--giordano-batman-217-story-page-5-original-art-dc-1969-/a/121818-11113.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

seems high to me as well but Batman 217 is a pretty iconic story arc for Batman so maybe someone like me that loves that timeframe from Batman

11 hours ago, Madman1138 said:

It also has the TV Batmobile on it, which some people REALLY love. Maybe that had something to do with it as well?

I guess it would have to. Bruce Wayne page, Batman costume hanging on a hanger. Once great batmobile panel. Wouldn't that be where one would expect a Neal Adams page without Batman in costume to settle? 

This is what makes collecting comic art and owning it so awesome 'tho, the "one of a kind" (you can't wait for another one to come around, unlike with high grade comic books) opportunities buyers can't let slip past their fingers, and aggressive bidding wars occur.  In the same breath, you hear crickets chirping and minimal interest with pieces selling for losses, more often, the situation is filled with elated surprises for older (pre-1990's) mainstream (Marvel & DC Super-Heroes) published art.

If I saw the piece, I'd have though maybe a few hundred dollars, and it's not necessarily a novice evaluation, more of a "what it's worth to me" collector's perspective more so than as an investor or reseller.  Where others obviously saw it with a 10-15x higher valuation.

The Heritage Signature Auctions ends this week, and it's fun, even as a bystander observing the live feed, not as a participant to watch piece go up for sale and all of the action. 

It was Higher than I thought it would go, but I understand the price. A couple collectors really thought that was an important part in Batman lore.

Also......we are really at a point in the hobby where 10k is the new 1k. The price escalation has been unreal. I had it pegged and about 4-5k preauction.

1 hour ago, NinjaSealed said:

Also......we are really at a point in the hobby where 10k is the new 1k.

The market for $1K and $10K pieces has gotten so competitive that I've been forced to move up-market where I still have a chance. (:

14 hours ago, otherworldsj331 said:

Classic nostalgia buy. This piece will likely never sell at or above this price, again.

Can't speak for $9,500 and I'm not a huge original art fan, but -- had I seen this, I would have bid ~$4,500 for that page, easily.

Why? Of the 600 or so issues of Batman/Detective/etc. I've read, it's my favorite. I even told Neal Adams as much at a convention here in DC last month.

I have _no_ idea how readily available other pages from that issue are on the open market. It's got an unremarkable (albeit Adams) cover, but one of the best Batman stories ever.

Based on this, the marquee page -- of Grayson in the car leaving Wayne Manor to head off to college -- would probably go nuts -- maybe $15-$20k. Why? Because the story stuck -- never really returned to his full-time role as Robin, rather just marked time in some back-up stories in Detective before re-emerging later as Nightwing.

And the mystery that drives this issue (One Bullet Too Many) is superb.

Yep, it's those certain special one-off stories that ring the nostalgia bell.

I personally have wanted a page from "The House That Haunted Batman" for many years (just missed out on the splash a couple of years ago).

On 5/7/2018 at 5:10 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Can't speak for $9,500 and I'm not a huge original art fan, but -- had I seen this, I would have bid ~$4,500 for that page, easily.

Why? Of the 600 or so issues of Batman/Detective/etc. I've read, it's my favorite. I even told Neal Adams as much at a convention here in DC last month.

I have _no_ idea how readily available other pages from that issue are on the open market. It's got an unremarkable (albeit Adams) cover, but one of the best Batman stories ever.

Based on this, the marquee page -- of Grayson in the car leaving Wayne Manor to head off to college -- would probably go nuts -- maybe $15-$20k. Why? Because the story stuck -- never really returned to his full-time role as Robin, rather just marked time in some back-up stories in Detective before re-emerging later as Nightwing.

And the mystery that drives this issue (One Bullet Too Many) is superb.

We will see if these predictions are correct, those first few pages from Batman 217 where Robin leaves for college and Batman closes up the Batcave are all hitting Heritage in their weekly auctions across mid to end of June....

Page 2 - Grayson leaving for college

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/irv-novick-and--giordano-batman-217-story-page-2-original-art-dc-1969-/p/121826-73001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Page 3 - aka the "marquee page" of Grayson leaving for college in the car, effectively ending the partnership between Batman and Robin

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/irv-novick-and--giordano-batman-217-story-page-3-original-art-dc-1969-/p/121827-49001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Page 4 - the first page (and cover scene) of Bruce Wayne closing the bat cave to "modernize" their approach, nice shot of the tv show batmobile

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/irv-novick-and--giordano-batman-217-story-page-4-original-art-dc-1969-/p/121825-91001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by Lago32
typos

7 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I was out on this because I thought you'd be all over it! lol

I thought it would finish at least at $3500. It's got a lot of kitsch appeal in addition to being a great Heck example.

This is the recent one that shocked me-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-846-Cover-Dustin-Nguyen-Batman-Catwoman-Hush-Original-Comic-Art/132635524300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I guess Nguyen has done a good job of setting his price point on direct sales such that the auctions now follow suit. Plus serious Bat cover tax.

Edited by BCarter27