• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting Re-Prints
3 3

76 posts in this topic

Spent some time going through my collections this week and noticed I have a lot of re-prints. Not just comics either, a lot of my video game collection consists of HD remaster and "platinum hits" re-releases. I've gotten hooked onto Marvel's True Believer #1 books recently, and really like them. Picking up TB copies of Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War this weekend sparked my interest in what other re-prints I have, and figured I would share a few. 

Anybody else collect re-prints or 2nd/3rd/nth printing books?

Spider-Man vs. Venom (2nd print of a Re-print) This copy fits my budget much better than ASM 300.

SP-Venom.thumb.jpg.6bf94b7040645a47b09c7624f7bc3889.jpg

Marvel Tales #226 (Re-Prints ASM #91, new cover art by McFarlane)

5af03e49b542f_MarvelTales226.thumb.jpg.fe661f2d204ba2c229303f0d5d22c9fe.jpg

Evil Ernie Youth Gone Wild Encore Presentation (Re-Prints original series from Eternity Comics)

5af03e87bd346_EE-YGW2.thumb.jpg.50563c5415880be09c72032366a2a5cc.jpg

I've enjoyed collecting the $1 true believers lately there have been some good ones.  X-Men 1, GSX 1, Hulk 181, New Mutants 98, ASM 300, etc, it is great to get a reading copy of those for so cheap, anything else I try to avoid, even some of the older marvel tales books or giant size issues.

16 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

I've enjoyed collecting the $1 true believers lately there have been some good ones.  X-Men 1, GSX 1, Hulk 181, New Mutants 98, ASM 300, etc, it is great to get a reading copy of those for so cheap, anything else I try to avoid, even some of the older marvel tales books or giant size issues.

I will have to look up a list of all the True Believers books that have been released, I haven't seen the one you mentioned above, more to look for!! I never really read Marvel books back in the day, so these cheap re-prints are great. 

As a kid, older comics were not collected in trade paperbacks or hardcovers but reprinted in titles like Marvel's Greatest Comics or Marvel Tales. That's where I got my first exposure to Lee-Kirby-Ditko stories from the silver-age.

I'll still pick these reprints up at shows when I find them in good shape. They're part of my canon.

29 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

As a kid, older comics were not collected in trade paperbacks or hardcovers but reprinted in titles like Marvel's Greatest Comics or Marvel Tales. That's where I got my first exposure to Lee-Kirby-Ditko stories from the silver-age.

I'll still pick these reprints up at shows when I find them in good shape. They're part of my canon.

Good point about issues not being reprinted into TPB and Hardcover.  

2 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

I will have to look up a list of all the True Believers books that have been released, I haven't seen the one you mentioned above, more to look for!! I never really read Marvel books back in the day, so these cheap re-prints are great. 

Before True Believers, they were called Marvel's Greatest Hits. Some of those can sell for a few bucks too like Alias #1 and Cable Deadpool #1.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Before True Believers, they were called Marvel's Greatest Hits. Some of those can sell for a few bucks too like Alias #1 and Cable Deadpool #1.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Were there any similar greatest hits type stuff on the DC side?

2 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

Awesome, thanks for the info. Were there any similar greatest hits type stuff on the DC side?

Now that I look it up, they are called Marvel's Greatest Comics:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=marvels+greatest+comics&pubid=&PubRng=

Marvel True Believers:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=true believers

DC Millennium Editions.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?SeriesID=13453821

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Now that I look it up, they are called Marvel's Greatest Comics:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=marvels+greatest+comics&pubid=&PubRng=

Marvel True Believers:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=true believers

DC Millennium Editions.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?SeriesID=13453821

Thank you for the links, that is a big help.

53 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

The McFarlane Marvel Tales books are a sleeping giant. Can't believe they don't get more love than they do. Terrific Spidey covers featuring classic villains and guest stars done by McFarlane IN HIS PRIME. Sure, the books are reprints, but nowadays people just collect covers anyway, right?

I only found the one McFarlane cover with #226, but after looking it up it appears that he had a pretty long run of covers from #222 - #239. 

11 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

I only found the one McFarlane cover with #226, but after looking it up it appears that he had a pretty long run of covers from #222 - #239. 

Yup, very nice run of books, and complete sets sell decently. But I'd still think they'd have a LITTLE more heat considering the character, artist, and period of his career.

Just now, F For Fake said:

Yup, very nice run of books, and complete sets sell decently. But I'd still think they'd have a LITTLE more heat considering the character, artist, and period of his career.

Maybe it's a recognition thing? Maybe everyone is for McFarlane era ASM/Spider-Man books, but his Marvel Tales covers are not on the radar. I'll be keeping an eye out for more on my next shopping trip.

7 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

This is my favorite website I have my whole collection saved on there and it's all free.
https://comicbookrealm.com/search/comics/?a=search&series=true+believers&method=all&x=0&y=0

60's-era reprints like "Collectors Item Classics" and "Fantasy Masterpieces" make for great reader copies where you get to enjoy that old comic feel and smell. I was given a Fantastic Four omnibus and really disliked the way they reworked the art, and the nicer quality paper was actually a negative for me.

902425.jpg

Edited by mackenzie999