• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you photo or scan raws rapidly?

5 posts in this topic

I realize that there is already a thread on scanning slabs and legal size scanners.  However, I am looking for advice on the fastest method to scan or photograph hundreds, maybe thousands, of raw comics.

Anyone rigged up a iPhone, iPad or scanner to do this?  Has anyone ever tried to rig up a feeder (LOL.. a horizontal feeder, not a roller-type) to make things go faster? 

Any words or videos of advice would be much appreciated.

I used to use a Ziggi HD document camera when I needed to photograph front + back for a 100+ bi-weekly auction listings. I don't do many auctions right now so I haven't used it in a while. The Ziggi is used for overhead projection and as a document camera. It is high resolution so if you zoom in on the picture, you can clearly read the text from the comics once a photo is taken. It was designed to photograph book pages for reading later and there are even programs designed for it that read text in the photo. The drawback is that it only captures a small area (little more than a raw comic) and you have to have good lighting because it does not come with a light kit.

I decided to use the Ziggi instead of mounting my DSLR on a boom which can cost lots of money for the boom, light kit, lenses, etc. I would think that a boom mounted DSLR camera in a makeshift studio with light diffusser would be the fastest. It could be cost effective if you need to photograph 1000s. I'm not sure what lens would be best.

You had not mentioned why you were scanning, so a couple of things...

I had a friend who wanted to have a record for insurance purposes a just set up a video camera in front of a long box and just kept pulling out one book after another

< I guess you could grab stills from the video that way>

If you just want pictures of what you have and dont care if it is actually your raw book, just do an image search (comics.org, google, mycomicshop) and download the images. This is how I make my want lists

.want.png

If you are looking to catalog what you have there are apps in the app store that will just scan the bar code (Post 1993 books)  and catalog it all for you.

Good luck

Edited by jaydog