• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can A Blank Sketch Cover Be Cleaned?

4 posts in this topic

I have a collection of rare blank covers that have black marks (scuffs), on them. Clearly a result of the printer they came from. Is there any way to remove these marks before handing them over to an artist for a sketch?

You could try using a piece of bread and see if that works.  This method has been discussed on the boards before as a way to clean light soiling on covers and I believe is referred to as the "wonder bread" treatment.  Someone else might be able to give more details on the best way to try it.  It also might help if you could post a scan of a book with the defects you're trying to eliminate.

Depending on what you are getting sketched the artist may be able to cover up the scuffs. I have done that is the past for a few blanks I sketched.

Otherwise you can try any of the following:

1. wonder bread ( must be wonder bread brand. ) Roll the bread into a ball and roll it around on the stuff you want removed.

2. white eraser. Lightly use on offending spot. *warning using this may leave an eraser mark

3. kneadable eraser. Can buy these at most art stores. Use like the bread above.

can you remove printer's ink?  no matter how careful I am I always leave some smudges when I draw a sketch cover.