• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metropolis is Suing Voldemort
5 5

762 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, BeachBum said:

Is/was Voldy successful? Could they stand on their own going forward without Beckett?

They could stand on their own but with Beckett things will go a lot faster - such as registry, magazine holder, better TAT ( last year it was almost 6 months - new down to 6 weeks) etc

6 hours ago, shadroch said:

If you could pick one property in Monopoly, which one would it be?

Park Lane. It's all or nothing. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I know I have mentioned her on the boards before but I know someone that is pretty much delusional.  

She can be found pushing her dog around town in a baby carriage, she lives alone but made sure to buy a place so the dog can have a room and it's own walk in clothes.  She dresses the dog up each day.  She had a doggie wedding, complete with caterers and married her dog to her friend's dog.   She used to sit outside a former coworker's of ours home when she was in her 20's.  She and her mom made a list of available guys that she knew and they rated them as potential marriage material then told us all about it announcing who the lucky winners were.  She has over 1,500 "friends" on facebook and apparently monitors them.  When my friend deleted her she showed up at her house and called non stop to ask why.  (I have her on mute as I am genuinely unnerved by that.)

I got more... but the 'more' gets scary. 

She is delusional in that she thinks her behavior is acceptable and normal to others.   Have fun with this. 

Is she cute?

Edited by NoMan

I rarely, if ever, buy the Yellow or Green (other than to stop someone from owning all 3).   They're expensive to buy and expensive to build.   Same with PP and Boardwalk.  

I like Baltic/Med and the Light Blues or Purples (St Charles, etc..).   They're cheap to buy and cheap to build on.   And, as the rules require that you must build a house on each property each time you build (you're not allowed to just build houses on one property at a time), you can get your rents up pretty quickly.   If someone happens to land on them, they're toast.  The light Blues are something like $750-800/pop once you have a hotel up.  That'll zap someones funds real quick.

My favorite properties though, are the railroads.  Only properties in the game on all 4 sides of the board.  Cards that send you there, etc.. Nab two off the bat and you're already getting $50/pop when someone hits it.  That's Boardwalk $$.   

12 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Is she cute?

lol I like you. I like people that look for the bright side.:golfclap:

2 hours ago, Foley said:

Park lane would fall into the "nothing" category, since it doesn't exist.

Huh. Looks like there are different editions for America and Britain, and Australia gets the British edition. Park Lane is the most expensive dark blue property on our version. 

I'd always assumed they were the same property names worldwide, but nope, apparently not. 

1 minute ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Huh. Looks like there are different editions for America and Britain, and Australia gets the British edition. Park Lane is the most expensive dark blue property on our version. 

I'd always assumed they were the same property names worldwide, but nope, apparently not. 

In the "American" version, the most expensive is Boardwalk.   Park Place is the other dark blue to complete the set.  

Edited by chrisco37

1 minute ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Interesting, I didn't know that. I had assumed you meant Park Place. A myopic assumption on my part, apologies. 

Anybody playing McDonalds Monopoly, which is pretty much everybody in the world including England and Australia, knows this. 

1 hour ago, Foley said:

Interesting, I didn't know that. I had assumed you meant Park Place. A myopic assumption on my part, apologies. 

Not completely myopic. Monopoly was created to mimic Atlantic City, NJ, USA.  Much like comics, the foreign editions from years later aren't "the real one".

3 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Anybody playing McDonalds Monopoly, which is pretty much everybody in the world including England and Australia, knows this. 

Interesting, I googled it up, looks like the McDonalds Monopoly games are also printed up to reflect the local geography as well, just like the board games.

5 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

In the Canadian version, the most expensive property is a sheep farm in Halifax.

A woman responded to my want ad a few months ago. She had bought a storage unit that contained several hundred unopened variant versions of Monopoly. She thought she had gold. She probably still has them.

If you ever get to Atlantic City, tracking down all the streets can  be a fun afternoon.

Edited by shadroch

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Easy look at the probability of a roll of the dice with some old school Vegas craps odds thrown in.  7 is the most likely number to roll followed by 6 and 8, followed by 5 and 9, then 4 and 10, 3 and 11 and 2 and 12.  Knowing that there are certain cards that lead you to certain areas.  Going to jail lands you in the corner lined up on that strip where you will most likely land on an orange on one roll or a red on two rolls.   There are cards that put you at St Charles Place and also the nearest railroad and the nearest utility... all on that strip.  

17 hours ago, electricprune said:

I've never thought about this before, but, even over time, there are probably spaces that are landed on more frequently than others. I'm basing this on three factors and a combination of those factors.

1) Where you start- Go

2) Dice probability

3) Cards within Chance and Community Chest that send you directly to a certain property, "Advance to Go," "Take a Ride on the Reading," "Go to Jail," "Advance to Illinois Ave." etc.

If you want to include "landing on" as even before the dice are rolled, the "Go" would likely be the most frequently landed on. This is because everyone starts there, and there are other spaces that can send you directly there.

Then, the spaces that have CC and Chance cards that send you there. These have a slightly higher probability of being landed on. Illinois is one of those spaces. However, you would have to see if these cards are present equally, or if some have more than others.

After that, the spots would start to equal out, but are not going to be equal. The longer you play, the more the spots would regress towards the mean, but certain spots will have those built in advantages.

From there, you have to start looking at dice probability. Since everyone starts on Go, and since it also has cards that send you there, I would think that the next most frequently visited space is the first Chance space, seven spots away from go. Why? Because you are most likely to roll a 7 than any other number while leaving Go. Even rolling a 2-5 can still land you there on the next roll.

The only built in advantage I see for Illinois is being 14 spaces away from Jail. This means landing on Jail randomly or from a card, gives you a reasonable chance of landing on Illinois. Why? Because in two rolls of the dice, your advancement is more likely to be 14 spaces than any other number.

There are some other factors. Maybe some real math guys can enlighten you further. :foryou:

Appreciate it guys.

I'm not a gambler (AT ALL) so I didn't think about probability but after I made my post I realized that the limitations of dice rolls would have certain odds AND then I realized that certain cards take you to certain places, also helping with the odds.

I always just bought up all the most expensive properties and ruthlessly built them up. Greed and no mercy always helped me win at monoploy. lol

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

https://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/monins.pdf

Part of the rules... if they run out of houses you have to wait for someone to build hotels and return the houses to be bought for someone else.  Monopoly is also about controlling supply and demand.  For example you can even auction off houses if there is a shortage and more than one person wants to buy one.   Therefore if you buy up the houses you can effectively block other players from constructing everything else.   

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 9.29.54 PM.png

I had no idea, but then I haven't read the rules since the 1970's.

Wonder if it has always been the rule.