• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metropolis is Suing Voldemort
5 5

762 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

This thread made me text message a couple of friends to ask if they wanted to share any crazy stories. 

I have a crazy story involving a former FBI agent, a new 'Church type collection' coming to market, two weeks of my life and one of the best New Years stories ever.

Not sure if I've shared it on here or not.

9 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I rarely, if ever, buy the Yellow or Green (other than to stop someone from owning all 3).   They're expensive to buy and expensive to build.   Same with PP and Boardwalk.  

I like Baltic/Med and the Light Blues or Purples (St Charles, etc..).   They're cheap to buy and cheap to build on.   And, as the rules require that you must build a house on each property each time you build (you're not allowed to just build houses on one property at a time), you can get your rents up pretty quickly.   If someone happens to land on them, they're toast.  The light Blues are something like $750-800/pop once you have a hotel up.  That'll zap someones funds real quick.

My favorite properties though, are the railroads.  Only properties in the game on all 4 sides of the board.  Cards that send you there, etc.. Nab two off the bat and you're already getting $50/pop when someone hits it.  That's Boardwalk $$.   

I had the exact opposite strategy. Avoid the utilities and railroads and buy up all the expensive properties and build like mad.

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I have a crazy story involving a former FBI agent, a new 'Church type collection' coming to market, two weeks of my life and one of the best New Years stories ever.

no you have not. some of us are currently recovering from surgeries hooked up to machines and home bound. Stores welcomed and encouraged!

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I had the exact opposite strategy. Avoid the utilities and railroads and buy up all the expensive properties and build like mad.

Whatever works for you.  It's so expensive to build on those properties.  Let's take the Greens.  

To buy all 3 properties costs you $920  (300, 300, 320).  

Then, to build 1 house on each is another 200/house = $600

So, $1520 down gets you a rent of $130 (NC and Pac) or $150 (Penn).

The light blues:

All 3 cost $320 to buy (100, 100, 120)

For $600 (the cost of 1 house each on Green), you can buy 4 houses on each ($50/house). 

4 houses rent =$400 or $450

And you've "saved" $600 as opposed to Green.  

If you've tapped yourself out spending $1520 building one house each on the Green and you happen to hit "my" light blue, you're toast.  At least, that's how I play it.  

2 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Whatever works for you.  It's so expensive to build on those properties.  Let's take the Greens.  

To buy all 3 properties costs you $920  (300, 300, 320).  

Then, to build 1 house on each is another 200/house = $600

So, $1520 down gets you a rent of $130 (NC and Pac) or $150 (Penn).

The light blues:

All 3 cost $320 to buy (100, 100, 120)

For $600 (the cost of 1 house each on Green), you can buy 4 houses on each ($50/house). 

4 houses rent =$400 or $450

And you've "saved" $600 as opposed to Green.  

If you've tapped yourself out spending $1520 building one house each on the Green and you happen to hit "my" light blue, you're toast.  At least, that's how I play it.  

You've clearly illustrated how different our personalities are. lol

You seem to be more conservative with your investments whereas I am more of a risk taker.

I would take the expensive properties EVERY time and build them up as fast as possible.

Yes, you spend more initially but man, it's so easy to crush an opponent once they land on your decked out properties. I love scorching my kids when I play with them. :banana:

It does teach them valuable lessons, though.

Also, strategically, when you own the end of the board many players really count on that extra $200 when they pass go to top up. If they are struggling in that home stretch it can really be the final nail in the coffin. :wink:

9 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Oh, and the railroads are gold.  Especially if you can collect all 4.  $200 each time.  And, as I said, the only "property" on every side of the board.

Not enough 'crush factor' for me. :devil:

I'm just learning the game but I've noticed people that have all four railroads usually get squeezed out. It's nice early on getting Boardwalk style rents, but as people build hotels, the RR becomes almost a safe space. When you find yourself on the Orange, about to run the gauntlet of all hotels on Red and Yellow, that RR is a shiny oasis, at $200 a visit.

Edit- I've played since I was a kid. When I say just learning I mean learning the cut throat play for pay game, note the cute game we play with out nieces and nephews.

Edited by shadroch

11 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm just learning the game but I've noticed people that have all four railroads usually get squeezed out. It's nice early on getting Boardwalk style rents, but as people build hotels, the RR becomes almost a safe space. When you find yourself on the Orange, about to run the gauntlet of all hotels on Red and Yellow, that RR is a shiny oasis, at $200 a visit.

Yup. That's my experience as well.

When you land on a Railroad it's a sigh of relief compared to landing on someone's built up property.

When you are playing, how much $$$ do you start with?  Are you starting with the $1500, or are you starting with more?    If you start with $1500, there's just not enough to build up the "money properties" quick enough.   

Are you playing with "Free Parking" getting all the taxes?  Do you start with $500 in FP?  If you play "by the rules", FP is just that.  Free.  You get no money for landing on it.  

Are you getting the money properties "on the cheap" via auction?  That;s the only way I can see you being able to build so quickly on them.  And still, at $200/house, that's $600 to build one house on each.  That'll burn thru your initial $1500 real quick.   

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

When you are playing, how much $$$ do you start with?  Are you starting with the $1500, or are you starting with more?    If you start with $1500, there's just not enough to build up the "money properties" quick enough.   

Are you playing with "Free Parking" getting all the taxes?  Do you start with $500 in FP?  If you play "by the rules", FP is just that.  Free.  You get no money for landing on it.  

Are you getting the money properties "on the cheap" via auction?  That;s the only way I can see you being able to build so quickly on them.  And still, at $200/house, that's $600 to build one house on each.  That'll burn thru your initial $1500 real quick.   

Good points.

I've typically played with money on Free Parking, but my point was more about trying to built up the expensive properties being the priority and not immediately. Whenever funds allow.

I will typically spend most of my money acquiring and building the expensive properties keeping a little in reserve in case I land and have to pay something to someone.

I will also typically buy up everything I land on to use as bargaining down the road.

12 minutes ago, Zevgoli said:

Have we finished talking about CBCS?

I think so.:smile:

Lots of speculation in the thread, mostly courtesy of Jaydog and his typical wonkiness.  He’s wrong on this, I’m fairly certain.  I’m not going to argue with him or try to convince him otherwise (it’s a phenomenal waste of my time).

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Six players. Once in a while, five. $1500 a person. It can easily take two  hours for a game to really develop to the point where multiple properties are fully developed and by then its often down to four players.  Its rare we play to the bitter end. Once there are two players, a lot of people take the second place prize and concede to the guy with most of the money. 

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Do tell 

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

Edit- I've played since I was a kid. When I say just learning I mean learning the cut throat play for pay game, note the cute game we play with out nieces and nephews.

Yeah, I learned how to play for real when Monopoly came out for the original gameboy.  When that came out I was in the back of the car playing on family vacations and I learned to play cut throat style in order to beat the game.  

Edited by Buzzetta

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
17 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Huh. Looks like there are different editions for America and Britain, and Australia gets the British edition. Park Lane is the most expensive dark blue property on our version. 

I'd always assumed they were the same property names worldwide, but nope, apparently not. 

In the Canadian version, the most expensive property is a sheep farm in Halifax.

This should have WAY more than just two likes.

It's the joke of the year.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, comicdonna said:
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, namisgr said:

and these Twinkies straight from the fryer:

BvGqiVoBT1WK5qLgSiOI_fried%20twinkies.JP

Man, some of the stuff you guys eat.  :facepalm:  Come up here, and I' treat you to some Possum, grits and hog Jowls.  

I always figured things on sticks are easier to insert! :D