• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metropolis is Suing Voldemort
5 5

762 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

The idea is to buy all the houses.  Houses are limited to 32.  Since you cannot bypass houses and straight up buy hotels you can control the board if you simply buy up all of the houses. 

Is that really part of the rules? We always assumed that when we ran out of houses we would use "cheerios" or whatever was handy to represent the houses until more became available. 32 houses is the max number that can be in play??

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I know I have mentioned her on the boards before but I know someone that is pretty much delusional.  

She can be found pushing her dog around town in a baby carriage, she lives alone but made sure to buy a place so the dog can have a room and it's own walk in clothes.  She dresses the dog up each day.  She had a doggie wedding, complete with caterers and married her dog to her friend's dog.   She used to sit outside a former coworker's of ours home when she was in her 20's.  She and her mom made a list of available guys that she knew and they rated them as potential marriage material then told us all about it announcing who the lucky winners were.  She has over 1,500 "friends" on facebook and apparently monitors them.  When my friend deleted her she showed up at her house and called non stop to ask why.  (I have her on mute as I am genuinely unnerved by that.)

I got more... but the 'more' gets scary. 

She is delusional in that she thinks her behavior is acceptable and normal to others.   Have fun with this. 

This is a real life example, where you can really interact with the person, and observe them in real life. My point was that such claims can't be made on a message board, based on message board posts alone.

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
10 minutes ago, shadroch said:

If you could pick one property in Monopoly, which one would it be?

Illinois Avenue ... some say that it is the single most landed on property and the red color group makes it even more profitable if all three are owned. 

I don't understand how statistically one color can be landed on more than another.

I always go for the Green properties and build as soon as possible. If you have Board Walk and Park Place you have the 'path of death' because it drains people quickly (although yes, statistically people don't land on BW and PP as often).

I avoid the cheaper properties unless I'm absolutely flush or buying someone else out.

2 minutes ago, boomtown said:

Is that really part of the rules? We always assumed that when we ran out of houses we would use "cheerios" or whatever was handy to represent the houses until more became available. 32 houses is the max number that can be in play??

We always added more houses.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I don't understand how statistically one color can be landed on more than another.

I always go for the Green properties and build as soon as possible. If you have Board Walk and Park Place you have the 'path of death' because it drains people quickly (although yes, statistically people don't land on BW and PP as often).

I avoid the cheaper properties unless I'm absolutely flush or buying someone else out.

Easy look at the probability of a roll of the dice with some old school Vegas craps odds thrown in.  7 is the most likely number to roll followed by 6 and 8, followed by 5 and 9, then 4 and 10, 3 and 11 and 2 and 12.  Knowing that there are certain cards that lead you to certain areas.  Going to jail lands you in the corner lined up on that strip where you will most likely land on an orange on one roll or a red on two rolls.   There are cards that put you at St Charles Place and also the nearest railroad and the nearest utility... all on that strip.  

14 minutes ago, boomtown said:

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

We always added more houses.

https://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/monins.pdf

Part of the rules... if they run out of houses you have to wait for someone to build hotels and return the houses to be bought for someone else.  Monopoly is also about controlling supply and demand.  For example you can even auction off houses if there is a shortage and more than one person wants to buy one.   Therefore if you buy up the houses you can effectively block other players from constructing everything else.   

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 9.29.54 PM.png

37 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I know I have mentioned her on the boards before but I know someone that is pretty much delusional.  

She can be found pushing her dog around town in a baby carriage, she lives alone but made sure to buy a place so the dog can have a room and it's own walk in clothes.  She dresses the dog up each day.  She had a doggie wedding, complete with caterers and married her dog to her friend's dog.   She used to sit outside a former coworker's of ours home when she was in her 20's.  She and her mom made a list of available guys that she knew and they rated them as potential marriage material then told us all about it announcing who the lucky winners were.  She has over 1,500 "friends" on facebook and apparently monitors them.  When my friend deleted her she showed up at her house and called non stop to ask why.  (I have her on mute as I am genuinely unnerved by that.)

I got more... but the 'more' gets scary. 

She is delusional in that she thinks her behavior is acceptable and normal to others.   Have fun with this. 

This thread made me text message a couple of friends to ask if they wanted to share any crazy stories. 

From that we just remembered that the management or office or whoever sends things things sent her a "please do not contact us any further" in regards to her basically stalking an actor from a TV series of the mid 2000's.  I don't know if she was actually sent the cease and desist or whatever warning comes before they send you a cease and desist.  We were all sitting around at a mutual friend's house and she was complaining about that to whoever would listen.  

8 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

When is Marvel going to actually finish the Gaiman Miracleman run?

Wait theyre still doing Miracleman?

23 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I've never thought about this before, but, even over time, there are probably spaces that are landed on more frequently than others. I'm basing this on three factors and a combination of those factors.

1) Where you start- Go

2) Dice probability

3) Cards within Chance and Community Chest that send you directly to a certain property, "Advance to Go," "Take a Ride on the Reading," "Go to Jail," "Advance to Illinois Ave." etc.

If you want to include "landing on" as even before the dice are rolled, the "Go" would likely be the most frequently landed on. This is because everyone starts there, and there are other spaces that can send you directly there.

Then, the spaces that have CC and Chance cards that send you there. These have a slightly higher probability of being landed on. Illinois is one of those spaces. However, you would have to see if these cards are present equally, or if some have more than others.

After that, the spots would start to equal out, but are not going to be equal. The longer you play, the more the spots would regress towards the mean, but certain spots will have those built in advantages.

From there, you have to start looking at dice probability. Since everyone starts on Go, and since it also has cards that send you there, I would think that the next most frequently visited space is the first Chance space, seven spots away from go. Why? Because you are most likely to roll a 7 than any other number while leaving Go. Even rolling a 2-5 can still land you there on the next roll.

The only built in advantage I see for Illinois is being 14 spaces away from Jail. This means landing on Jail randomly or from a card, gives you a reasonable chance of landing on Illinois. Why? Because in two rolls of the dice, your advancement is more likely to be 14 spaces than any other number.

There are some other factors. Maybe some real math guys can enlighten you further. :foryou:

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Interesting... some report that the yellow color group is as equally landed on as the reds... then there are other reports saying that oranges and reds are the most desirable as that corner is a hotbed and the house building fees are cheap. 

I've recently started playing fairly high stakes Monopoly.  Folks say Illinois and Red have an advantage over yellow because one of the cards sends people to Illinois.

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I've recently started playing fairly high stakes Monopoly.  Folks say Illinois and Red have an advantage over yellow because one of the cards sends people to Illinois.

Check out what else I wrote on it in this thread... regarding roll of dice and starting points along with house buying strategy. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

https://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/monins.pdf

Part of the rules... if they run out of houses you have to wait for someone to build hotels and return the houses to be bought for someone else.  Monopoly is also about controlling supply and demand.  For example you can even auction off houses if there is a shortage and more than one person wants to buy one.   Therefore if you buy up the houses you can effectively block other players from constructing everything else.   

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 9.29.54 PM.png

We always played that if you could afford to build three hotels at once, you could. Out here they don't. We are planning a big game for next weekend and negotiations for house rules are ongoing.

We started the night before the Super Bowl , with a penny per dollar($15) buy in. Now there is enough demand for a couple games a week and some are talking about a dollar per dollar buy in, winner take all. I will pass on that.

Edited by shadroch

11 minutes ago, shadroch said:

We always played that if you could afford to build three hotels at once, you could. Out here they don't. We are planning a big game for next weekend and negotiations for house rules are ongoing.

We started the night before the Super Bowl , with a penny per dollar($15) buy in. Now there is enough demand for a couple games a week and some are talking about a dollar per dollar buy in, winner take all. I will pass on that.

Just wait till they up the stakes to real houses and hotels.