• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Is The Best WWII Cover?
4 4

51 posts in this topic

Hey i was just thinking today that there are a ton of awesome WWII covers out there that really catch the eye. I wanted to know what others thoughts are on what the best one is. 

This is my pick from what I've seen. However, my knowledge isn't that vast.

Image result for captain america 37

On 5/7/2018 at 11:29 PM, Cosmos Comics said:

Hey i was just thinking today that there are a ton of awesome WWII covers out there that really catch the eye. I wanted to know what others thoughts are on what the best one is. 

This is my pick from what I've seen. However, my knowledge isn't that vast.

Image result for captain america 37

This is my favorite

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This is my favorite

I don't own a copy, but this is one of my personal favorites as well. I think it beats any of the other books posted so far.

I also like some of the Fight covers; this is my favorite WWII cover out of the handful that I own.

IMG__201804118__074124.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 5/8/2018 at 1:15 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

That's one of the three covers that Alex Schomburg chose to recreate (gouache paintings) for poster & signed/numbered prints. 

This was another (the final WWII cover for Marvel Mystery Comics)...

f24cbf2d-4e1a-4c4e-b69b-9190beff1b51_zps

The original paintings are stunning, BTW.

Oh, and WTTB! (thumbsu

Hey Cat:   So it was Schomburg himself that picked these 3 covers and recreated them?   I used to think it was some boardie who just picked them and finagled the rights from the estate.  I didn’t know about the recreations. Do you know what year he did this, and how close this was to the end of his life?

20 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hey Cat:   So it was Schomburg himself that picked these 3 covers and recreated them?   I used to think it was some boardie who just picked them and finagled the rights from the estate.  I didn’t know about the recreations. Do you know what year he did this, and how close this was to the end of his life?

Schomburg did a good number of GA cover recreations in the 70's & 80's, often by commission (The Cap #37 recreation was done in 1977 according to CHROMA, the biography of Schomburg's career in art).  There were three cover recreations utilized by Buccaneer Graphics for lithographed posters (Capt. America #37, Marvel Mystery #66 & All Winners #11); 150 from each painting were signed/numbered by Alex as ltd. ed. prints, the rest of the posters were unsigned. Whether these covers were commissioned specifically for the project or selected by the artist as best examples of his Marvel/Timely work is open to speculation.   I'm not sure of the unsigned quantity Buccaneer published, probably 500 or 1000 total of each (someone else may be able to provide that info.).  I do know where one of the three original paintings resides.  (thumbsu The whereabouts of the other two paintings are ...at present... unknown to me, but I'd wager someone here knows exactly where they are.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

This may seem like a WEIRD outside the box choice to a few of ya’s but I would peg this rarity as my personal favorite. Like Cap 1 we have Adolf getting socked in the kisser. We have not 1 but 2 heroes clad in Red White and Blue and something you don’t see on most covers and that is representation of Allied forces Winston Churchill as well. I love the colors and of course the cover artist. Between the rarity and coolness factor this would be a top choice for me and as you can see my son as well So many great ones very difficult to pick just one!! I will say this y’all have some great taste that’s for sure there have already been some doozies posted that are hard to argue against!! 

32794732572_a1f52ec327_b.jpg