• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Is The Best WWII Cover?
4 4

51 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, nearmint said:

This thread needs a DC book...

batman18.jpg

DC, Fawcett and Dell were clearly better at patriotic and war bond covers than Timely. 

But, if what you are looking for is superheros battling NAZIs than Timely is the best.

How often, though, do you see realistic WWII images on WWII era comics?  Not very often.  This is a great one: 

842615.jpg

On 5/11/2018 at 4:09 PM, sfcityduck said:

DC, Fawcett and Dell were clearly better at patriotic and war bond covers than Timely. 

But, if what you are looking for is superheros battling NAZIs than Timely is the best.

How often, though, do you see realistic WWII images on WWII era comics?  Not very often.  This is a great one: 

842615.jpg

I agree that DC, Fawcett, Dell and several other publishers promoted war bonds more frequently on covers, but Timely participated as well...

7d5d40a0-463e-4bc1-b2df-b92f1731ee2e_zps

...and all of the war covers from various publishers were patriotically themed.  Some were realistic, others were funny (although Axis thugs were far from funny in real life), but there's lots of variety, even funny animal comics broadly satirized the Axis.

One publisher, "Busy" Arnold's Quality Comics, seemed to have an uncannily prophetic view of the coming war.  For instance, this Dec. '41 Hit cover (newsstand 10/3/41) ...the first and only war era cover Reed Crandall signed... depicts Japanese saboteurs in life & death combat with Stormy Foster on the Brooklyn Bridge (?) prior to Pearl Harbor:

716ec883-a171-4eca-8a71-1c57b3b13b2f_zps

As realism goes, the perspective and anatomical rendering in this cover is second to none even if the hero's hot-pants attire can't be taken seriously.

Of course this isn't meant to imply that reality themed comics aren't as kewl as super-hero comics.  I'm just suggesting that war themed comics are equally patriotic.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

12 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I agree that DC, Fawcett, Dell and several other publishers promoted war bonds more frequently on covers, but Timely participated as well...

...and all of the war covers from various publishers were patriotically themed.  Some were realistic, others were funny (although Axis thugs were far from funny in real life), but there's lots of variety, even funny animal comics broadly satirized the Axis.

One publisher, "Busy" Arnold's Quality Comics, seemed to have an uncannily prophetic view of the coming war.  For instance, this Dec. '41 Hit cover (newsstand 10/3/41) ...the first and only war era cover Reed Crandall signed... depicts Japanese saboteurs in life & death combat with Stormy Foster on the Brooklyn Bridge (?) prior to Pearl Harbor:

716ec883-a171-4eca-8a71-1c57b3b13b2f_zps

As realism goes, the perspective and anatomical rendering in this cover is second to none even if the hero's hot-pants attire can't be taken seriously.

Of course this isn't meant to imply that reality themed comics aren't as kewl as super-hero comics.  I'm just suggesting that war themed comics are equally patriotic.

I've always assumed that was the Golden Gate Bridge, which seems like a more likely place to encounter Japanese saboteurs (although what they might be accomplishing climbing around the cables near the top of the bridge is an interesting question).  Admittedly, though, the color isn't right for the GGB, although the structure seems similar. 

On 5/13/2018 at 12:52 PM, Sqeggs said:

I've always assumed that was the Golden Gate Bridge, which seems like a more likely place to encounter Japanese saboteurs (although what they might be accomplishing climbing around the cables near the top of the bridge is an interesting question).  Admittedly, though, the color isn't right for the GGB, although the structure seems similar. 

That Hit is of the Golden Gate Bridge.  The Brooklyn Bridge is made of stone with two divided arches on the supporting tower.  The GG is made of metal, has stacked arches, and has the same art deco design above the Arch as in that picture.  The GG bridge is reddish orange, not reddish purple, but the Brooklyn Bridge is grey.

On 5/13/2018 at 12:03 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Timely, stuck war bonds stamps on some covers, but they didn't do things like this:

superman-comic.jpg

8cb396f2d09d04619daff0071824764e--war-bo

db0957be51009e8a84366698d95e83ff--action

ww1-56a06de75f9b58eba4b07792.jpg

On 5/13/2018 at 12:03 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I think the Schomburg covers are about as cool as you can get.

But, I don't think the Timely covers are particularly patriotic.  They are more about the heroes (and selling comics) than they are about promoting the good old U.S. of A.  In contrast, I think of covers like this as being "patriotic" as opposed to just WWII covers:

post-524-0-72984900-1404502732.jpg

adv012s.jpg

WorldsFinest6.jpg

master40.jpg

I just think the above covers are trying to acheive something bigger than just selling a superhero story.  Schomburg, I think, was a master as creating a cover that sold superhero stories. 

13 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Timely, stuck war bonds stamps on some covers, but they didn't do things like this:

Point taken, but I'm not persuaded that that's a negative.  Timely covers were very patriotic, they just didn't use the flag to lecture readers (Martin Goodman probably figured kids got enough of that in school).

13 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I think the Schomburg covers are about as cool as you can get.

But, I don't think the Timely covers are particularly patriotic.  They are more about the heroes (and selling comics) than they are about promoting the good old U.S. of A.  In contrast, I think of covers like this as being "patriotic" as opposed to just WWII covers:

True, not all covers have to contain breathtaking action to promote patriotic zeal, but don't kid yourself, flag waving iconography was just another way of trying to sell comics.  And you're right, Schomburg covers are kewl.

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

It is, although for the non-Raboy covers, I'm partial to this one.

lf-46_zps268974d3.JPEG

I couldn't agree more! In fact, I was going to post my well-read and well-loved copy, but now I don't have to. There are at least a dozen solid Fawcett entries for amazing WWII covers, both Raboy and not: this is certainly among them.  :applause:

32 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

comrememberpearlharbor.jpg

Both really memorable covers! I was going to post my copy of Remember Pearl Harbor, but pardoning that this is a cover thread, I thought it would be cool to share this great two-page spread, rife with symbolism:

35376427.2ef37ed0.1024.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

2 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

So many great ones, but to answer the OP question gun to head style, my heart says tie between Cap 1 and 46.

It's tough to beat Cap 1, but I think Cap 13 is right there. Depends on which side of the world you think of when you think WWII - the European theater or the Pacific theater - or who brings you the most satisfaction seeing get punched in the face: Hitler taking a right cross, or Hirohito eating the uppercut. 

I guess that's why they call it a world war. I suppose in that regard, some of the covers showing villains from all the fronts are very strong contenders...  hm

47 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

It's tough to beat Cap 1, but I think Cap 13 is right there. Depends on which side of the world you think of when you think WWII - the European theater or the Pacific theater - or who brings you the most satisfaction seeing get punched in the face: Hitler taking a right cross, or Hirohito eating the uppercut. 

I guess that's why they call it a world war. I suppose in that regard, some of the covers showing villains from all the fronts are very strong contenders...  hm

7600865B-272E-4A38-BB73-EC96D8BD2BF6.jpeg.1773640dcc3564a685612a0bb3e3026a.jpeg

5 hours ago, Readcomix said:

So many great ones, but to answer the OP question gun to head style, my heart says tie between Cap 1 and 46. Impossible reductions aside, here are my contributions for contenders in the broader discussion:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Three great issues indeed.  The SS 16 makes my list for one of the scarcest Hitler covers too.