• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why haven't comic book fans migrated to digital platforms?

42 posts in this topic

Hi there! 

I'm a college student doing some research on why comic book fans and readers haven't migrated to digital platforms despite the digital revolution decreasing print sales. The survey below is based on my qualitative research on the topic, which means that this one will only require you to tick a couple of boxes instead of providing extended answers. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdthjxJD35_nemVE77s0rWYsrRlaULWaHifOi4PHrjg90wHEw/viewform?usp=sf_link 

This research is part of what I need to do for my exam, and the challenge is to get as many responses as possible. I hope that some of you can take 2 minutes to help out a student with pre-exam stress by completing this survey.

Many thanks,

a student with next to zero knowledge about comic books, but enough curiosity to learn about it 

4 hours ago, Anniloebig said:

...comic book fans and readers haven't migrated to digital platforms...

Is this statement true? Do you have subscription numbers from the digital platforms? I can't find them, which makes me think they're not sharing.

Collectors obviously want the real book. Readers may or may not use digital. Some people use both (I'm one of them.)  I feel as though your premise may be flawed. The questions also seem a bit leading / too narrow to me and don't allow for nuances in behavior (for example, I don't "prefer" one to the other; I do both for different reasons.)

I'll take the survey to help you out.

Edited by SilverSniper

I have. Not the newest books but trade paperback or hardcover collections in digital format, especially from companies that allow the creation of DRM- free backups, such as IDW, Image and Fantagraphics. Some Marvel and DC too.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Welcome to the Boards!

Took your survey.

Kudo's on the questions - some are pretty good.

Good luck on the project and please share your final product with us!

-bc

Also took the survey. I'm one who buys both physical and digital. I typically buy indie titles physically at my LCS (and just a few big-2 titles), and mostly by trades digitally (via Comixology, especially during their many sales).  Some points on each below:

Physical:
- Collecting value (for books that become valuable, obviously only the physical ones does)
- Nostalgia of childhood / enjoyment of the LCS experience
- Space concerns are real

Digital:
- Much easier to read and convenient. I have a 10.5" iPad Pro, and books look amazing, and it's great to be able to take my entire collection with me when traveling
- Cheaper (Comixology sales have been great, have been able to pick up a ton of trades / collections at a fraction of price it would to buy physical)
- Some concern around ownership if Comixology ever goes under. I do feel better that Amazon owns Comixology, and that it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. That being said, 20/30/40 years from now, there is some small non-zero risk that my various digital books could disappear (especially the ones from Marvel / DC that have DRM). I would hope that if Comixology goes under, they would provide a way for customers to keep a copy of their previous purchases forever.

I have no idea how this digital thing works. I just searched Ebay (& other sites) for some TPBs of the Infinity/Thanos stuff so that I could read the stories without spending an arm & a leg. I could've searched for digital copies somewhere?

Edited by Gaard

35 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I have no idea how this digital thing works. I just searched Ebay (& other sites) for some TPBs of the Infinity/Thanos stuff so that I could read the stories without spending an arm & a leg. I could've searched for digital copies somewhere?

Comixology, either directly or via Amazon.

You get frequent sales for a wide range of companies.

The recent Image sale was excellent.

I read some free stuff on line sometimes, the public domain stuff, I can't remember my Marvel password anymore.

But like collecting silver dollars you can usually get more out than you put in + the enjoyment.

Can't do that buying online comics.

I COLLECT paper pamphlet comics.

I READ digital comics.

I like both. I like having the physical object to look at and hold and adore, but I worry about damaging it by reading it.

I love reading digital comics on my Ipad, the colors are eye-popping, and the backlight means I can read in bed after the wife has gone to sleep. And there's no physical item to worry about damaging!

23 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I love reading digital comics on my Ipad, the colors are eye-popping

Yup. 

There's a question about switching to digital 'if screens were easier on the eyes'.

The 'if' is a bit redundant.

They really need to look at an iPad Pro screen, especially the largest one, which basically displays comics at magazine size, brilliantly upscaled and sharp, and, as you said, with a great colour palette, and there's also automatic or manual tone adjustment to your personal preference.

Never looked at a Microsoft Surface Pro equivalent, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I took the survey to help a student, and that is the only reason. I found the survey prejudiced, because the age selection did not extend past 60.:makepoint:

I would fail you on that alone.

As to the questions, well, I see one glaring missing question you could have and should have asked:

"Would you switch to digital or collect digital or trade digital or add digital to your collection if there was a monetary incentive and Market for same?"

:preach:

Get off my lawn, now.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, Anniloebig said:

Hi there! 

I'm a college student doing some research on why comic book fans and readers haven't migrated to digital platforms despite the digital revolution decreasing print sales. The survey below is based on my qualitative research on the topic, which means that this one will only require you to tick a couple of boxes instead of providing extended answers. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdthjxJD35_nemVE77s0rWYsrRlaULWaHifOi4PHrjg90wHEw/viewform?usp=sf_link 

This research is part of what I need to do for my exam, and the challenge is to get as many responses as possible. I hope that some of you can take 2 minutes to help out a student with pre-exam stress by completing this survey.

Many thanks,

a student with next to zero knowledge about comic books, but enough curiosity to learn about it 

I could add another reason for not changing over to digital - we get plenty of screen time with other endeavors.  I don't want to spend my whole life in front of a computer, staring at a screen.  I actually think that is a huge reason.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yup.

I was just thinking about access to a wider range of material, including indies.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:43 PM, SilverSniper said:

Is this statement true? Do you have subscription numbers from the digital platforms? I can't find them, which makes me think they're not sharing.

Collectors obviously want the real book. Readers may or may not use digital. Some people use both (I'm one of them.)  I feel as though your premise may be flawed. The questions also seem a bit leading / too narrow to me and don't allow for nuances in behavior (for example, I don't "prefer" one to the other; I do both for different reasons.)

I'll take the survey to help you out.

http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/industrywide/2016-industrywide.html

What cannot be accounted for is piracy of digital formats. The same with other forms of digital media.

12 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

True, also Humble Bundle has those "name your own price" sales.

Forgot about that one.

The recent Dynamic Forces / Dynamite Entertainment Bundle was excellent.  A lot of quality material, but even the filler series, ones I wouldn't consider buying as physical copies, were well-reviewed, solid stories online. So, a cheap, digital opportunity to broaden my horizons.

DRM-free as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred