• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I do if a corner piece is barely hanging on Amazing Fantasy 15?

29 posts in this topic

I have an Amazing Fantasy 15 which I would guess would grade around 1.5 to 2.0 cgc.  However at the top right corner about half of the cca (comic code authority) is barely hanging on. I want to get it pressed and graded but worried it will come off.  Any advice?

Edited by Stemocro
wrong acronym

If only comic books were like Wolverine. lol  I appreciate the assistance, it’s stressful worrying about a chip on a big comic. I guess I’ll call cgc and see if they have instructions or notes for care handling.  I’ll update when I get info. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Stemocro said:

Ok understood on the pressing, so let’s say the chip does come off during grading, how much of a drop in grade would occur?  

If CGC's handling of the book damages it then they should be held liable. So, take a lot of pictures pre-pack, pack it very well, take pictures post-pack, make sure to set the correct insurance amount, and cross your fingers.  If that comes back with a new tear I think one would be hard pressed to claim it was caused by shipping.

Edited by SilverSniper

6 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

If CGC's handling of the book damages it then they should be held liable. So, take a lot of pictures pre-pack, pack it very well, take pictures post-pack, make sure to set the correct insurance amount, and cross your fingers.  If that comes back with a new tear I think one would be hard pressed to claim it was caused by shipping.

I disagree. Even with gentle handling that top right corner is ready to fall off. CGC has to handle the book, count the pages, inspect for resto, etc. If the corner fell off during the normal procedure, it would neither be their fault nor their liability. Between shipping both ways, grading, and the encapsulation process this is a risk. One thing for sure is, don't press the book. I also think if the corner fell off, it would effect the grade.

7 minutes ago, Stemocro said:

Awesome, I feel better.  I’ll send it off at the end of the week. I’ll let y’all know how it goes. 

See my reply to SilverSniper, I don't think CGC would be liable. I think you should still call CGC to see if they have any special instructions. I do think the grade would be affected if that piece fell off.

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I disagree. Even with gentle handling that top right corner is ready to fall off. CGC has to handle the book, count the pages, inspect for resto, etc. If the corner fell off during the normal procedure, it would neither be their fault nor their liability. Between shipping both ways, grading, and the encapsulation process this is a risk. One thing for sure is, don't press the book. I also think if the corner fell off, it would effect the grade.

I have to admit I'm a bit ignorant here, that was just my assumption. However, if CGC believes there's a good chance they're going to damage my book by grading it I would expect a call from them or a flat rejection. If they just proceed ahead and damage my book they would have one unhappy (and possibly litigious...) customer on their hands.  How could they possibly _not_ be responsible for accidental damage during grading? Whether or not it's an accident is (I would think) irrelevant; they must assume responsibility while handling your items, and they can't possibly expect each of their customers to be knowledgeable enough to make the decision before sending their book in.

Looking for something on their FAQ now...

Edit: I couldn't find anything official. @Stemocro, don't take what I say here as fact... I'm kind of thinking out loud, and there are plenty of people here with far more experience. Give CGC a call and just ask them directly. You don't want to have a court decide who is liable should something happen.

Edited by SilverSniper

Definitely agree that before pictures are a good idea and pack it very carefully if you are sending it off. Also call CGC to see what they say. If you are able to hit up a con, talk to a CGC representative in person and get their thoughts as well. 

Good Luck with your great comic!

:martini:

I think if they were aware during grading, it would have a better chance of making it.  Great feedback. I considered getting it pressed in the hopes of a .5 grade jump, but the risk of that piece coming off could result in a .5 drop, so I’ll leave off the pressing.  Thanks guys. 

12 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

I have to admit I'm a bit ignorant here, that was just my assumption. However, if CGC believes there's a good chance they're going to damage my book by grading it I would expect a call from them or a flat rejection. If they just proceed ahead and damage my book they would have one unhappy (and possibly litigious...) customer on their hands.  How could they possibly _not_ be responsible for accidental damage during grading? Whether or not it's an accident is (I would think) irrelevant; they must assume responsibility while handling your items, and they can't possibly expect each of their customers to be knowledgeable enough to make the decision before sending their book in.

But the 'damage' has already been done and the corner is ready to fall off. While I would agree with you if CGC was negligent in their handling, in this case it may fall off with simply normal procedure. IMO, if that corner fell off, you cannot claim new 'damage'. I would also bet that somewhere in the submission form there is reference to liability. The submitter has to assume some responsibility for sending this in. It's a risk even taking it out of the bag and board.

Edited by Bomber-Bob