• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I do if a corner piece is barely hanging on Amazing Fantasy 15?

29 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

But the 'damage' has already been done and the corner is ready to fall off. While I would agree with you if CGC was negligent in their handling, in this case it may fall off with simply normal procedure. IMO, if that corner fell off, you cannot claim new 'damage'. I would also bet that somewhere in the submission form there is reference to liability. The submitter has to assume some responsibility for sending this in. It's a risk even taking it out of the bag and board.

Yeah, it's a bit gray. I could see both sides. Best to just talk to CGC and also examine their terms of service / liability policy.

Edited by SilverSniper

I don't think CGC would be liable if that corner fell off given that it's about to come off as you already stated.  Plenty of people have sent in books with covers barely attached and they've become detached before (or perhaps during) grading.  The shipping process probably puts more stress on the book than any handling at CGC.

Me personally, if I really felt that corner was barely hanging by a thread I'd probably secure it with tape on the inside.  

7 hours ago, SilverSniper said:

If CGC's handling of the book damages it then they should be held liable. So, take a lot of pictures pre-pack, pack it very well, take pictures post-pack, make sure to set the correct insurance amount, and cross your fingers.  If that comes back with a new tear I think one would be hard pressed to claim it was caused by shipping.

Nope, doesn't work that way. Piece could fall off during the shipping getting banged around. If it's low enough grade, piece there or missing will probably do nothing. The book has to be handled to be graded. AF 15 will be handled by 5-6 people because it's a walkthru. You can put a post-it warning to be careful. If you don't care about a tape notation on the label, put an extremely tiny piece to hold it on, since such a small piece would also not affect the grade in that condition.

Needed to correct the last statement. If the piece is still attached and a piece of tape is helping the tear stay closed and remain intact, there should definitely not be any affect with the grade, but like I mentioned will have the tape notation on the label. If the piece comes off and you re-attach it with tape, it is treated as if the piece was not there and be graded as such, regardless of you putting it back on. So consider what you do before you handle it yourself.

Edited by Philflound

1 hour ago, Philflound said:

Nope, doesn't work that way. Piece could fall off during the shipping getting banged around. If it's low enough grade, piece there or missing will probably do nothing. The book has to be handled to be graded. AF 15 will be handled by 5-6 people because it's a walkthru. You can put a post-it warning to be careful. If you don't care about a tape notation on the label, put an extremely tiny piece to hold it on, since such a small piece would also not affect the grade in that condition.

Sometimes it's a good idea to keep reading before posting. I specifically said "damaged during handling", so shipping is irrelevant. This is not black and white. CGC is liable for damage when the book is in their posession. The question is to what degree damage is considered reasonable as a result of handling. As to that, I don't know, and if you had ept on reading you would see that I and others said OP's best course of action would be to simply call CGC and talk it over before sending anything in.

7 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

Sometimes it's a good idea to keep reading before posting. I specifically said "damaged during handling", so shipping is irrelevant. This is not black and white. CGC is liable for damage when the book is in their posession. The question is to what degree damage is considered reasonable as a result of handling. As to that, I don't know, and if you had ept on reading you would see that I and others said OP's best course of action would be to simply call CGC and talk it over before sending anything in.

Something that fragile would most likely not be compensated if something happens. If he's that worried about the piece coming off, then he shouldn't bother getting it graded or take my advice and put a very small piece of tape. Or just sell it and get one in similar condition without such a fragile flaw.

Just by facing the front cover down is a risk of it falling off and trying to support it would probably not help. The pages need to be counted, inspected and make sure nothing is wrong inside. Staples need to be examined inside. Covers need to be examined inside. So that front cover will be facing down and most likely said piece will fall off. Without it in my hands, I can't tell how much or how little it is hanging on by.

Edited by Philflound

That’s another good question, stick a piece of tape on it and keep it together or risk it falling off during grading.  From what I understand, tape is like a nuclear bomb to a book, so I’ll take a hit on the grade without the risk. Let’s say they do grade it and it falls off, don’t they stick the piece in the slab so at a later time I could crack the case and tape it on then.  Thanks again for the great feedback, I’m glad I spoke out. 

Low grade book with a very tiny piece of tape doesn't take a hit at all. If a piece like that is large enough, the graders put it in the comic book itself a few pages in. Yes you can crack it out in the future and re-attach it if you want.

Edited by Philflound