• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should lightly dry clean this book?
1 1

43 posts in this topic

I just got this the other day but it isn't in a CGC slab, and the book looks like it would benefit from a light dry cleaning. I have been dry cleaning books for a while now, so my real questions isn't if I should crack the slab open, but more if I should give it a light cleaning if anything. I always use Mylite II's and fullbacks so it would be in a clean new bag afterwards as well. 

41935646432_13624f8afb_o.jpgAmazing Spiderman 41 by illest05, on Flickr

Edited by Andthen

Just kidding probably from one of these, and just in the upper white areas of the book. They gave it a 5.0 and I think with a very light cleaning it could get a better grade. I have been wrong before but appreciate the advice. :p

1. White artists eraser.

2. Fine tipped white artists eraser. 

3. Alvin cleaning pad bits. Not scrubbing at all with the pad though.

back covers along spine are notoriously grubby and very easy to clean.  You can boost a grade like one point!

On 5/8/2018 at 8:26 PM, Andthen said:

Just kidding probably from one of these, and just in the upper white areas of the book. They gave it a 5.0 and I think with a very light cleaning it could get a better grade. I have been wrong before but appreciate the advice. :p

1. White artists eraser.

2. Fine tipped white artists eraser. 

3. Alvin cleaning pad bits. Not scrubbing at all with the pad though.

But why bother?

Scrubbing/ erasing may remove the dirt but can also remove gloss/ color/ inks. One miss step and you have erased a webbing on the title and then go down in grade. All of that to maybe get a 5.0 to a 5.5 or a 6.0?

just buy a CGC 6.0, and then sell the very nice presenting 5.0

1 minute ago, speedcake said:

Is this what the flipping sub culture has come to? Cleaning small areas of a mid grade book to maybe make it a slightly better mid grade book and make 50 bucks while also risking degrading a nice book?  There are only so many of these around, it looks great! Enjoy it?

but but we've rigged the system :sumo: we must cash in now!.....

Just Playing, but it was surprising in this and other threads, how often this kind of thing actually goes on.....

So there is something wrong with me wanting to clean off dirt that will harm the book later on? Are you um special? 

Why is it surprising to ask an opinion on this matter and on certain books? Cleaning a book only preserves the book and that is all I'm looking to do. Go cry about stupid BS on another site.. 

Btw I know how to clean a book without hurting it at all. I have done it many times before. The dirt in the long run is going to cause damage. I'm never selling the book. I don't sell any of my books. 

Jesus I hate temperamental web warriors. 

Edited by Andthen

7 minutes ago, Andthen said:

So there is something wrong with me wanting to clean off dirt that will harm the book later on? Are you um special? 

Why is it surprising to ask an opinion on this matter and on certain books? Cleaning a book only preserves the book and that is all I'm looking to do. Go cry about stupid BS on another site.. 

Btw I know how to clean a book without hurting it at all. I have done it many times before. The dirt in the long run is going to cause damage. I'm never selling the book. I don't sell any of my books. 

My apologies! I was just ribbing...hopefully no harm done. :foryou:

I don't see the reason to call me temperaental. If anything I was talking badly about people who get in an uproar over it. (shrug) that's why I even said "just playing", I was using sarcasm. Never the less my apologies!

It still surprises me how often this is done. I didn't accuse you of doing this to sell either. ???

I'm not implying it either. 

What I'm surprised at is all the trouble people go though is all. 

I'm a big fan of dry cleaning but i would skip doing it to this particular book.  The areas you can clean will stand out from the areas you dont want to get into and make the dry clean obvious, I'm thinking.  But either way I'm ok with.  I might give it a shot.  It's not actually dirt in the sense of soil but skin oils, microparticles of skin cells, ink, and a wide variety of molecular compounds that float around or adhere to surfaces.   I dont think it will cause 'damage'.  You could even make an argument that it will form a protective coating.  

36 minutes ago, Andthen said:

I change my response.

Go erase away, and have fun.

All I want to do is preserve a key book that isn't slabbed by CGC and then send it in to CGC. All I want to clean up are the upper white area's. I don't see why asking about it on a key book like this required anything but a straight up yes or no opinion. No harm done.. 

Edited by Andthen

1 hour ago, kav said:

I'm a big fan of dry cleaning but i would skip doing it to this particular book.  The areas you can clean will stand out from the areas you dont want to get into and make the dry clean obvious, I'm thinking.  But either way I'm ok with.  I might give it a shot.  It's not actually dirt in the sense of soil but skin oils, microparticles of skin cells, ink, and a wide variety of molecular compounds that float around or adhere to surfaces.   I dont think it will cause 'damage'.  You could even make an argument that it will form a protective coating.  

Thanks I will keep keep that in mind. I know exactly what you mean and tend to agree with all of what you said. I think the 5.0 is a good grade on it, I was just mostly looking to keep it in that condition or make it better. Most of the books I cleaned are from the 1970's up, and know that these old books are more difficult to clean. 

Edited by Andthen

Don't do it.  The paper and ink on these older books esp silver age marvel, is so fragile, in one light everything looks fine but in another you'll see the gloss or what ever the surface is like all smudged out.