• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saw an Stan signed AF 15 in 9.6 today.

20 posts in this topic

Stopped by Torpedo to get some information on their LA show and they had it on display. It's signed by Stan and in a Yellow labeled competitors slab. Only close examination reveals it to be a restored copy.  The label could be a bit easier to identify as being restored, but a gorgeous book. I'm surprise it is so exposed.

Edited by shadroch

It is a CB** 9.6 restored but yellow label  for over 110 K.  Was a restored CGC 9.4 at 55 K. You draw your own conclusions about its worth.  I think it will sit in the museum for a while. They have nice books but at high prices.

Edited by spidermanbeyond

1 minute ago, spidermanbeyond said:

It is a CB** 9.6 for over 110 K.  Was a restored CGC 9.4 at 55 K. You draw your own conclusions about its worth.  I think it will sit in the museum for a while. They have nice books but at high prices.

Wow.

3 minutes ago, Stoy77 said:

I'd still rather have him sign my gfs boobs than an af15 & I can at least enjoy it later lol.

Hi:hi:.

My name is Stan.......

Wow, no love for signatures here I see...

It may be the "most common signature in the universe" but for the individual collector, it shouldn't be about how much that sig increases the market value because it is rare, but whether you enjoy it as the collector.  I have a few Stan signed key issues, and I just love thinking that the man who wrote those stories that I love signed his work.  It's not about what I can sell it for.  I know he's signed a million books.

8 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Wow, no love for signatures here I see...

It may be the "most common signature in the universe" but for the individual collector, it shouldn't be about how much that sig increases the market value because it is rare, but whether you enjoy it as the collector.  I have a few Stan signed key issues, and I just love thinking that the man who wrote those stories that I love signed his work.  It's not about what I can sell it for.  I know he's signed a million books.

I see it more as preserving "history"... If you neeeeed to have Stan's sig, have him sign a lower grade copy, sheesh...

But there's also truth in your statement...owner can do whatever with their book, and should be able to do so without judgement...

But I'm still judging him/her...:makepoint: lol

5 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I see it more as preserving "history"... If you neeeeed to have Stan's sig, have him sign a lower grade copy, sheesh...

But there's also truth in your statement...owner can do whatever with their book, and should be able to do so without judgement...

But I'm still judging him/her...:makepoint: lol

I understand why some people don't want signatures.  For me though, these old book are works of art.  You don't buy a painting without the artist's signature on it, right?  What's the harm in having the artist sign your comic?  But that's just me.  

Also, this copy is on eBay, you can check it out.  Has "extensive restoration" so really, it was a low grade copy that got signed...

43 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

... and I just love thinking that the man who wrote those stories that I love signed his work...

No love for the artists who created the cover without the intention of having a big sharpie scrawl on it? I am 100% cool with interior sigs though.

47 minutes ago, mackenzie999 said:

No love for the artists who created the cover without the intention of having a big sharpie scrawl on it? I am 100% cool with interior sigs though.

Umm...the fact that those cover artists repeatedly sign their covers with big sharpies suggests they are OK with it. (thumbsu

I thought it was a blue label at first...a restored copy, I can see the value with a nice sig (albeit, a huge gamble esp. with Stan's writing ability nowadays) and minimizing that restored label. 

7 hours ago, Spyder! said:

You don't buy a painting without the artist's signature on it, right? 

Too bad Stan is not the artist on the books he signs.   Except for Spider Roach.  

24 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Too bad Stan is not the artist on the books he signs.   Except for Spider Roach.  

I didn’t just mean the illustrator, writing is also considered an art.