• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Page colour/Exclusive stamp

5 posts in this topic

So after a year long wait a friend of mine and I finally received 3 of our books from Anastasia's Collectibles. However they didnt have Todd McFarlanes signature on them as they were supposed to. So now we demanded our money returned and they agreed. Though they pitched us a counter proposal for 2 of our books, ASM 300, and Spiderman 1. They have copies of the 2 books we had signed, but theirs are signed by both. They are offering a trade. Same grades. Same book. Just the books have both. However, the ASM 300 we had signed has white pages, theirs is white/off white, will this drop the value of the book much? My thoughts are yes. 

The second issue is they both have their special CGC label on the books. So imagine a regular CGC yellow signature series label, but on the right side of the label, beside the CGC logo there is a picture of Stan Lee's head, and beside that it reads "Stan Lee Exclusive", does this special label do anything for the value of the book?

I am torn, I dont want to do business with these guys considering how it was this past year and I dont want to send my books away again. However I would have to spend the money to regrade the books if I want them signed by Todd and cased again. Thoughts?

I can't speak to the page quality, I suspect that some collectors on here will settle for nothing less than White pages on Modern/Copper books.  Regarding the Stan Lee Exclusive label, however, that is something CGC offers.  Last I checked, it was an extra $5 for the label.  It does nothing to the value of the book.

Regarding the last bit, are they compensating you on any fees?  Shipping, grading, etc?  If you were to resub the books I figure the cost is about $20 shipping to a new facilitator, $30 in wasted grading fees, and another $30 to have the books shipped back.  Effectively that's an extra $80 for one book (the amount for the 2nd book would decrease due to the shared shipping rates).

the stan lee exclusive thing adds at least $5 of value.  The white/off white diff should be offset by getting the additional todd sig.  BUT it doesn't really cost them anything, for all you know todd had a limited number of slots and they signed theirs instead of yours.  What they SHOULD do for you is pay for your submission to someone else to get the Todd sig.

BUT if you're getting a full refund PLUS the trade, then it actually costs them something.  If you're getting the trade instead of a FULL REFUND, take the full refund and take that money to submit you're book through someone else.

When I say full refund, I don't just mean for the one sig you didn't get, I mean for all of it.  You deserve more for the long wait PLUS the mistake.

They jacked up my order too, then offered me some restitution, which they never honored, despite my repeated attempts to contact them.  They're terrible and they lie. Get your book back, get your money back, move on, and be happy you got that much back.

Thanks guys, the refund we are getting is only for the signatures we did not receive. I am not yet giving up on demanding half of the CGC fees they charged us either. They wont offer any other compensation in the form of cash or paying for another facilitator. But what I can tell from you guys is that we should probably do the deal for their 2 signed books. I looked up posts about page colour, and found a page that did a comparison for several different books, and his conclusion was the page colour for white to white/off white to off white/cream, did not actually influence the value of the book. I am pretty tired of fighting with these guys over these books. But I feel if we do a trade, they will want to hold half of the signature money since we would be receiving 2 books with Todds name on them now. But I do not want that at all, I would want the books, the entire cost of the missed sigs, and some of the CGC fees for the year long hassle they caused. 

On 5/8/2018 at 7:35 PM, Wilddragon said:

Thanks guys, the refund we are getting is only for the signatures we did not receive. I am not yet giving up on demanding half of the CGC fees they charged us either. They wont offer any other compensation in the form of cash or paying for another facilitator. But what I can tell from you guys is that we should probably do the deal for their 2 signed books. I looked up posts about page colour, and found a page that did a comparison for several different books, and his conclusion was the page colour for white to white/off white to off white/cream, did not actually influence the value of the book. I am pretty tired of fighting with these guys over these books. But I feel if we do a trade, they will want to hold half of the signature money since we would be receiving 2 books with Todds name on them now. But I do not want that at all, I would want the books, the entire cost of the missed sigs, and some of the CGC fees for the year long hassle they caused. 

In most jurisdictions you don't get pain and suffering or "hassle and ordeal" damages for a breach of contract.  You should get yourself as close to whole as possible, get out and never look back.  Don't step over dollars to pick up pennies.  I'm sorry you had to deal with this.

--Sean.