• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Ring woes.......how much is too much?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

I got a Batman #30 (New 52) signed by Capullo and Snyder at AwesomeCon and submitted it to CGC to get slabbed. I got it back yesterday and while it graded at a 9.8, I was disappointed by the sheer amount of Newton Rings (see pics). While I'm aware that the new cases are subject to Newton Rings and they don't damage the comic itself, I think this one case is particularly bad.....to the point where it distracts from the signature and comic. What do you guys think? I can understand if it's just a few minor spots here and there, but this is a little excessive.....

IMG_20180508_212036.jpg

IMG_20180508_212044.jpg

IMG_20180508_212114.jpg

IMG_20180508_212051.jpg

8 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Any problem can be fixed. I don’t know why cgc doesn’t just handle it and be done with it. I know the answer to that question btw ($$).

As long as people keep sucking at the teat and submitting, why should they fix anything? it's been proven time and time again over the years that CGC can do whatever they want and loads of people will still submit loads of books.

10 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

As long as people keep sucking at the teat and submitting, why should they fix anything? it's been proven time and time again over the years that CGC can do whatever they want and loads of people will still submit loads of books.

Pride of ownership, desire to continuously improve to maintain market dominance (not that they have any real competition, but you never know), and customer satisfaction would be my motivators. Wouldn’t be the first time they had a redesign...and the latest slab came after newton rings were known, so if you’re implementing a new design, take the time to get it right. It’s big business, treat it as such...rantrant

Edited by Callaway29

So, there is a fix that minimizes the effect. When you submit, ask for the #5 cases(thicker ones). Even with those, I think it's still unacceptable so I stopped submitting for the most part until 

the effect is like it was in the previous gen cases. Very, very minimal.

The problem is, a majority of CGC's income is from flippers, who don't care what it looks like.

Edited by I like pie

2 hours ago, Poka said:

Contact customer service and request it reholdered for free

Officially, their statement will be, "That is considered an acceptable amount..."

Though, if you speak to the right person, they may still re-holder for free with the understanding it may not get any better.

23 minutes ago, I like pie said:

The problem is, a majority of CGC's income is from flippers, who don't care what it looks like.

And there we go. :applause:
The only way they would fix this is if submissions started falling off and it started to affect their bottom line. 

Good Lord, that looks terrible!  CGC has been around for a long time and they're not stupid, so if they consider a case like that acceptable, there's a customer service issue here.  They obviously know that nobody would be happy with a case like that, yet they still ship it and call it acceptable.  Until customers stop accepting a substandard product like this, it will probably continue.  Speaking for myself, if I was buying a book in a slab like that, it would be a golden age to silver age book that I would only want verification of the grade and if restoration was present.  After that, the case and its newton rings would go right in the trash can. People vote with their wallets, and that's likely to be the only thing that will fix this problem.