• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] AF 15 for sale

7 posts in this topic

Hi folks.  Just seeing if there's any interest in this type of book on here.  Bought this as my reader copy as I was too afraid to risk damaging my higher graded copy.  I read it and enjoyed being able to hold it in my hand and read a wonderful part of history, smelled the pages. (don't worry my hands and nose were clean) Love the story, read it to my kids, felt like I was in the room with Lee, Ditko, and Kirby as I imagined them concocting the story and art each panel I read, I actually got a little lump in my throat and teary eyed while reading it.  Love the mummy story, too!

First :takeit: trumps all PMs.

Payment options: Paypal or check/cash/money order

Shipping: Free fully insured registered USPS mail or local/convention pickup.

I'm in the DC-Metro area and willing to do the transaction in person at an LCS or bank or 3-letter agency or something.

I'd also be willing to do an in-person transaction at any one of the up coming local conventions: Tysons Corner, Maryland, Fairfax, Heroes Con or Baltimore or give me an excuse to go to Boston/NYCC/some other East coast con.

Returns: Accepted for full refund within 14 days of delivery so long as the case/comic is not damaged/tampered with outside of an insurance claim.  Buyer pays return shipping via USPS Registered fully insured.

AF 15 CGC 4.5 OW Pages Restored Slight (B-1) Restoration includes: "small amount of color touch on cover."  See front and back scans below. Asking Price $22,500 shipped

CGC Restoration Grading Details:

Here's the excerpt from CGC's restoration grading guide with the relevant CT items in bold.  (The use of cadavers for piece fill is pretty morbid.)

1 (Slight)

• All conservation work, re-glossing, interior lightening, piece fill no more than size of two bindery chips, light color touch in small areas like spine stress, corner crease or bindery chip fill. Married cover or interior pages/wraps (if other work is present)

B (Fine)

• Material used: pencil, crayon, chalk, re-glossing agent, piece fill from cadavers
  • Piece fill obvious upon close inspection, obvious to the touch
  • Color touch obvious upon close inspection, or done with materials listed above

For comparison:

The A- designation is if the Color Touch (CT) was professionally done or if the CT implement used was a better or more perfect match to the cover color.

The C- designation is if the CT had color-bleed to the interior cover

This copy received a B- designation because there was no color bleed to the interior covers but it was also a more amateurish color job possibly using one of the listed materials used.

Offers are welcome.  If I've left anything out or stated something contrary to the rules please let me know and I'll rectify.

Here it is:

AF #15 CGC-R 4.5 FC.jpg

AF #15 CGC-R 4.5 BC.jpg

Edited by justafan
added take it option and restoration grading scale

If this was your reader copy, did you know it was color touched? If so where on the cover?

A question to the group....what’s the difference between a B1 and A1 when “minor color touch” comes into play. 

I’ve seen many restored books with an A1 grade but this is the first B1 I’ve seen with minor restoration. 

1 hour ago, BM Cruz said:

A question to the group....what’s the difference between a B1 and A1 when “minor color touch” comes into play. 

The difference is the material used to do the color touch, how well it matches the original color, and how difficult it is to spot (I believe).

A would be acrylic or water color, B would be pencil, crayon, chalk.

A is  near perfect color match, no bleed through and B is obvious on close inspection.

1 hour ago, Foley said:

The difference is the material used to do the color touch, how well it matches the original color, and how difficult it is to spot (I believe).

A would be acrylic or water color, B would be pencil, crayon, chalk.

A is  near perfect color match, no bleed through and B is obvious on close inspection.

I thought the A-C scale referred more to the quality of the restoration than the materials used, though I suppose it could be both.

A = Professional

B = Somewhere between A/C

C = Amateur

Regardless, it's a pretty book, with deep colors and no chipping.  Good luck with the sale! (thumbsu