• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty Staples - major defect?

24 posts in this topic

I’ve avoided books with “Rusty Staples” but am looking at a key silver age 7.0 for my private collection. CGC notes indicate “staple rust with small stains at centrefold”. 

Wondering how much of a perceived negative this is by other, more knowledgeable collectors? Where would it rank against things like stamps, writing, marvel chipping, fingerprints, stains?

Thanks in advance for your time

For me personally I avoid staple rust at all costs.  Its a defect that keeps on giving with the endgame resulting in the staples disintegrating (Will likely take a long time but...).  If there's staining it means the rust is somewhat advanced.  Compared to the defects you've listed I would say its the worst of the group.  

4 minutes ago, comicquant said:

For me personally I avoid staple rust at all costs.  Its a defect that keeps on giving with the endgame resulting in the staples disintegrating (Will likely take a long time but...).  If there's staining it means the rust is somewhat advanced.  Compared to the defects you've listed I would say its the worst of the group.  

+1

12 hours ago, c_mkv said:

I’ve avoided books with “Rusty Staples” but am looking at a key silver age 7.0 for my private collection. CGC notes indicate “staple rust with small stains at centrefold”. 

Wondering how much of a perceived negative this is by other, more knowledgeable collectors? Where would it rank against things like stamps, writing, marvel chipping, fingerprints, stains?

Thanks in advance for your time

Depends on the degree of rust. Light rust won't do anything, especially if properly stored. I'd avoid anything with heavy rust. Rust itself doesn't affect grades below 8.0 unless staples are literally disintegrating. Don't listen to these guys if the book has only light rust. Buy it if you like it.

Edited by Philflound

9 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Depends on the degree of rust. Light rust won't do anything, especially if properly stored. I'd avoid anything heavy rust. Rust itself doesn't affect grades below 8.0 unless staples are literally disintegrating. Don't listen to these guys if the book has only light rust. Buy it if you like it.

He did say the grader's notes say staple rust with small stains. If there is staining, that is no longer light rust and usually means the majority of the staple has rust.  IMO, the damage is too far along on this book, I would avoid it. Curious about the rust doesn't affect the grade below 8.0 comment. I find this hard to believe, especially with staining. In fact this example is a 7.0 and the rust is mentioned in the notes = it must have affected the grade. (shrug)

Edited by Bomber-Bob

9 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

He did say the grader's notes say staple rust with small stains. If there is staining, that is no longer light rust and usually means the majority of the staple has rust.  IMO, the damage is too far along on this book, I would avoid it. Curious about the rust doesn't affect the grade below 8.0 comment. I find this hard to believe, especially with staining. In fact this example is a 7.0 and the rust is mentioned in the notes = it must have affected the grade. (shrug)

Ok, re-read his listing. Stains at centerfold is probably still not bad. I'd like to see if there are stains on the cover. It doesn't take much for rust to stain and it doesn't have to be a lot. And like I said, it depends on how the book is stored afterwards. The staples won't continue to rust unless stored in a humid environment.

BTW, storing CGC books in some safes will cause staples to rust. I forgot exactly which ones, but I know this is true.

Edited by Philflound

8 minutes ago, Philflound said:

I didn't see the stains directly pertaining to the rust. Could be stains away from the staples. I'd like to see photos of the book.

If the OP quoted the grader's notes directly... CGC notes indicate “staple rust with small stains at centrefold”.    that sure sounds like the stains are from the rust. Why else would they choose the word 'with' in the statement 'rust with stains'. CGC is very careful on the wording in their notes. I knew someone that got the notes on a key book changed because the wording gave the wrong impression to prospective buyers. If this book is already in a slab and the OP is considering buying it I doubt if a photo of the inside centerfold is available.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

52 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If the OP quoted the grader's notes directly... CGC notes indicate “staple rust with small stains at centrefold”.    that sure sounds like the stains are from the rust. Why else would they choose the word 'with' in the statement 'rust with stains'. CGC is very careful on the wording in their notes. I knew someone that got the notes on a key book changed because the wording gave the wrong impression to prospective buyers. If this book is already in a slab and the OP is considering buying it I doubt if a photo of the inside centerfold is available.

Except this is the US and centerfold is not spelled centrefold. I doubt that those are the direct notes. Unless he retyped the words and misspelled it. I also would like to know how he got the notes if he doesn't own the book. Did the seller give up the notes or write them in the description? Too many unknowns here.

27 minutes ago, Philflound said:

I also would like to know how he got the notes if he doesn't own the book. Did the seller give up the notes or write them in the description? Too many unknowns here.

Anyone can buy the notes, it is not owned or exclusive to the owner . I've bought them several times for a potential purchase. 

7 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Wondering if he's not telling us the book because he doesn't want someone else buying the book.  :takeit:

I did a little detective work and I believe I know the exact book he is referring to and the staples have extensive rust. I stand by my statement that I would not buy this book.

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I did a little detective work and I believe I know the exact book he is referring to and the staples have extensive rust. I stand by my statement that I would not buy this book.

And like I said, heavy rust is a bad deal, so I agree with you about staying away. Staples rust away then that grade will tank big time. But also like I said, if stored properly, shouldn't further damage.

Back to the safe thing, I think it's a fireproof safe that is bad for CGC books. Something like a chemical used to make the safe causes moisture to be retained inside. Can't remember exactly.

Edited by Philflound

Wow great sleuthing. I copied the words directly and letter by letter except for the spelling of centrefold as I’m Canadian eh. I’m not sure if it’s poor form to disclose where I saw the book as I don’t want to potentially upset the seller but it’s in an upcoming auction.

It’s probably going to be expensive (at least in my world) so I always try to get notes to help me decide.

it’s tempting as I otherwise like the book, I just don’t like the idea of rust. 

Edited by c_mkv

While rust to any degree is a negative as it speaks to the book's overall preservation (or lack thereof); as a general rule, if its listed in the notes its a defect and is affecting the grade.  If it wasn't listed in the notes my guess is we wouldn't be having this conversation!     

19 hours ago, Philflound said:

And like I said, heavy rust is a bad deal, so I agree with you about staying away. Staples rust away then that grade will tank big time. But also like I said, if stored properly, shouldn't further damage.

Back to the safe thing, I think it's a fireproof safe that is bad for CGC books. Something like a chemical used to make the safe causes moisture to be retained inside. Can't remember exactly.

I think someone on the boards actually had mold grow in their fireproof safe :whatthe:.  It was a really bad situation.

Edited by comicquant

13 hours ago, c_mkv said:

Wow great sleuthing. I copied the words directly and letter by letter except for the spelling of centrefold as I’m Canadian eh. I’m not sure if it’s poor form to disclose where I saw the book as I don’t want to potentially upset the seller but it’s in an upcoming auction.

It’s probably going to be expensive (at least in my world) so I always try to get notes to help me decide.

it’s tempting as I otherwise like the book, I just don’t like the idea of rust. 

Not tempting. Easy decision. Save money for better quality comic. Let someone else have rusty book...