• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this unacceptable or is it just me?
4 4

213 posts in this topic

Like the title says, is the following unacceptable or is it just me:

Bought a very expensive CGC graded key off eBay (roughly $6,000).  The Seller has mailed it via USPS Media Mail.  This means no insurance, longer time in the mail, and it doesn't qualify for media mail by USPS standards.  Shipment was sent from an in state seller on Monday, would be 1 day via priority mail but it hasn't arrived yet and who knows when it will arrive.  Can't comment on packaging and won't list eBay seller id because I haven't received the comic yet to find out if there are issues, but all things considered, when someone pays that much for an item, to save a few bucks on shipping by mailing it media mail just seems beyond unacceptable to me.

Am I being unreasonable on this?  

Edit:

Thanks for all the responses, didn't mean to make this a big deal, and definitely will not give an eBay seller a bad reputation if it is delivered safe and sound and packaged properly.  There is tracking on the package, actually got a notification that it is at a nearby post office being held for pickup at customer request.  I didn't request that, so unless the seller requested it, possibly it means that there is insufficient postage?  Either way, I'm happier seeing the package at the post office prior to delivery.  If the package is beat up I can deny acceptance, can also try to open it there to have the post office worker confirm if it is damaged or not.  Will give an update after I go tomorrow.  

If it was me, I would send registered mail.  Always do when it is a comic over a certain value.  

Edited by Squad008
update

Very tacky at best even if the book arrives safely and fairly soon.  Completely terrible for the seller if it never arrives since you get your money back and he is out the book.  Definitely not standard practices by any stretch of the imagination.

Wow, I can't believe it.  As the seller, why would you even want to save a couple of bucks with Media Mail on a 6K book?? Wouldn't you want to insure it and get signature confirmation?  I know I would. Wow.  I hope your book arrives without defects.

18 minutes ago, Squad008 said:

Absolutely not. 

Completely unacceptable for a book of that value. 

In fact, comics don't qualify for media mail. If the post office catches it, then the person slated to receive the item is on the hook for the extra shipping charges that the seller should have paid in the first place. I've personally seen people get shafted at the post office when they came in to pick up a package. 

Why would someone buy such an expensive item and not demand insurance, and registered return receipt?

Did the seller list the method of shipment? If so, did the buyer read it? If so, did the buyer offer to pay for a more secure method?

If the seller did not list the method, why would a buyer expect that the item would be handled in the most secure method, unless the item is not what it seems and the seller knows that? 

By the way, Media Mail packages get treated like garbage by the Post Office.  I have had some boxes arrive in awful shape.  Not to mention they are subject to inspection.  Also, they tend to take forever to deliver and more time in the hands of the Post Office is a baaad thing.

Just now, darkstar said:

It is unacceptable. Even more so if the seller did not advertise it as being shipped via media mail on the listing. 

Then it would be unacceptable for a buyer to agree to spend $6,000.00, advertised or not.

1 minute ago, Callaway29 said:

I would never... And seller is the one assuming all the risk, big roll of the dice on his part...

More than that. It is foolish.

Should be 'bombproof' protection on that.

There was a thread once that showed a Walking Dead 1 9.8 slab practically smashed into pieces while in transit.  A tragic sight.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Ok so I am not being unreasonable.  

Seller did not list how they were shipping it.  It was a or best offer item and after he accepted, I paid and emailed the Seller about the shipping and making sure it was shipped safe and secure. Never got a response, just a notice the next day that it was shipped.

I guess I am a little naive to think that it goes without saying that when someone spends that much on an item, the Seller respects the cost and takes time to properly package and ship.

In retrospect, I should have gotten more info before paying, but as a general rule, shipping anything of that value via Media Mail is just absurd to me.  

I can't help but feel like there will be more issues when, and if, the comic arrives.  

1 minute ago, Squad008 said:

Ok so I am not being unreasonable.  

Seller did not list how they were shipping it.  It was a or best offer item and after he accepted, I paid and emailed the Seller about the shipping and making sure it was shipped safe and secure. Never got a response, just a notice the next day that it was shipped.

I guess I am a little naive to think that it goes without saying that when someone spends that much on an item, the Seller respects the cost and takes time to properly package and ship.

In retrospect, I should have gotten more info before paying, but as a general rule, shipping anything of that value via Media Mail is just absurd to me.  

I can't help but feel like there will be more issues when, and if, the comic arrives.  

It's eBay, you won and item, you're expected to pay.  You did your part.  You messaged the seller, same as I would have done, but you obviously can't control him (make him respond, make him package safely, etc.) 

The silver lining is that you are the buyer and have all sorts of protections in place.  If it is damaged, you shouldn't have a problem getting a refund.  It just really sucks when you want a nice book for a certain price, find one, and have the deal ruined over something like shipping.  Still hoping your book makes it to you safely.

59 minutes ago, Squad008 said:

Like the title says, is the following unacceptable or is it just me:

Bought a very expensive CGC graded key off eBay (roughly $6,000).  The Seller has mailed it via USPS Media Mail.  This means no insurance, longer time in the mail, and it doesn't qualify for media mail by USPS standards.  Shipment was sent from an in state seller on Monday, would be 1 day via priority mail but it hasn't arrived yet and who knows when it will arrive.  Can't comment on packaging and won't list eBay seller id because I haven't received the comic yet to find out if there are issues, but all things considered, when someone pays that much for an item, to save a few bucks on shipping by mailing it media mail just seems beyond unacceptable to me.

Media mail for a $6000 item is akin to an act of religiously ebullient faith in the post office. First off, media mail is subject to rifling by postal personnel. When opened and gone through, done so to check that the contents conform to media mail standards. It doesn't. A $6000 comic in a graded slab is no longer a periodical. Not any more than an 1804 Silver dollar in MS70 would be considered "pocket change". It's considered an antique (not a periodical at this point) by the post office if and when identified, and if push comes to shove, the parcel disappearing or damaged, the seller can basically go jump in the lake as far as the post office is concerned.

This should have been sent to you either Expressmail, signature required, or by priority mail, registered, again signature required upon delivery.  

Edited by James J Johnson

2 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Its unacceptable and the stupidity of the seller is pretty incredible. I hope the book arrives, but in reality, its the seller who should really be hoping it arrives because he's on the hook with no tracking or insurance.

...The buyer is just as subject to the same description of incredible, though, in expectation of protection.