• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this unacceptable or is it just me?
4 4

213 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Media mail for a $6000 item is a seller's act is akin to an act of religiously ebullient faith in the post office. First off, media mail is subject to rifling by postal personnel. When opened and gone through, done so to check that the contents conform to media mail standards. It doesn't. A $6000 comic in a graded slab is no longer a periodical. Not any more than an 1804 Silver dollar in MS70 would be considered "pocket change". It's considered an antique (not a periodical at this point) by the post office if and when identified, and if push comes to shove, the parcel disappearing or damaged, the seller can basically go jump in the lake as far as the post office is concerned.

This should have been sent to you either Expressmail, signature required, or by priority mail, registered, again signature required upon delivery.  

The buyer can also avail himself of the same lake, in the eyes of the USPS. It should have...scratch that...a demand by the buyer to ship in the manner you describe was and is priority.

1 minute ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

The buyer can also avail himself of the same lake, in the eyes of the USPS. It should have...scratch that...a demand by the buyer to ship in the manner you describe was and is priority.

A buyer shouldn't have to tell someone to use signature confirmation on a $6000 item! This seller belongs at the head of the table in the movie "Dinner For Schmucks",

Isn't it standard practice for ebay to have the boxes for signature confirmation and insurance already checked off for transactions over a certain dollar amount? If so, the seller had to uncheck those boxes before he paid for and printed the label off of ebay.
I guess they could have taken it directly to the Post Office and paid the old fashioned way.(shrug)

Really unacceptable and reckless behavior on part of the seller, imo. I hope the purchase arrives safe and sound. :wishluck:

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

A buyer shouldn't have to tell someone to use signature confirmation on a $6000 item! This seller belongs at the head of the table in the movie "Dinner For Schmucks",

I am sorry, but it is $6,000.00. It is ebay. It is 2018. The buyer was invited to the table to eat. He did. While the seller may be a schmuck, at the very least the buyer should have known that without clear shipping information, and the buyer taking the minimum precautions before concluding the purchase to protect his interests, the buyer is responsible.

To now claim that it is the fault of the seller and the seller is a bad person and the buyer is in the victim column, is not only naive, it is somewhat astounding to me, given the parameters and facts stated by the buyer of what transpired. I get it. He emailed and never got an answer. So? Was that before or after the conclusion of the sale? If the buyer assumed protection would be made on his behalf,and the buyer would safeguard his funds/interest, he was and is wrong.

Man this seller is leaving himself wide open to miscreant saying they never got the item since it wasnt tracked and getting money back!!!  Unless it was tracked media mail gets free tracking if you go to the post office.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Man this seller is leaving himself wide open to miscreant saying they never got the item since it wasnt tracked and getting money back!!!  Unless it was tracked media mail gets free tracking if you go to the post office.

My absolute greater concern for the seller. I have seen this scenario so many times with coin purchases, I am constantly amazed at the public propensity of non-self  interest protection.

17 minutes ago, kav said:

Yes, this is all on the seller, it's his dilemma if the parcel disappears like a fart in the wind, or the contents are damaged, which the chances of which are now dramatically increased by media mail delivery since postal personnel may intervene to have a look at the contents, at which time those contents may disappear or be miswrapped by someone unfamiliar with safe slab packaging when repacking it for forwarding. Also, the buyer can simply say, "it never got here", even if he's holding it in his hand, without an adequate record of tracked delivery. Whether he receives it or not, it the parcel never gets to the buyer, a claim can be filed with ebay, paypal, and or the cc company. Seller loses unless he can prove delivery, which with media mail, no tracking, no signature, is impossible to do.

Shipping Fail.

At that level I am shipping Certified, insured with sig. I am happy to eat the $75-100 or so on a $6K buy.

So this dude spent like $6. Really? I am a thrifty fellow, but there is a point where it just gets stupid and risky.

I am sure it will turn out fine, just really poor decision making on the part of the seller

1 hour ago, Squad008 said:

Like the title says, is the following unacceptable or is it just me:

Bought a very expensive CGC graded key off eBay (roughly $6,000).  The Seller has mailed it via USPS Media Mail.  This means no insurance, longer time in the mail, and it doesn't qualify for media mail by USPS standards.  Shipment was sent from an in state seller on Monday, would be 1 day via priority mail but it hasn't arrived yet and who knows when it will arrive.  Can't comment on packaging and won't list eBay seller id because I haven't received the comic yet to find out if there are issues, but all things considered, when someone pays that much for an item, to save a few bucks on shipping by mailing it media mail just seems beyond unacceptable to me.

Am I being unreasonable on this?  

No tracking number right?

Agree that this is fully on the seller. Media Mail is simply NOT an acceptable method of shipping for a graded comic. That is not the purpose of the service and it's against USPS regulations, so there's no reason for the buyer to suspect that the seller would do something so absolutely negligent.

I agree that the seller bears the burden of the most blame.  As a seller, I would most definitely be concerned the package would get damaged or not make it to its final destination.  I don't fully understand the USPS policy, but I know enough that in such a situation, the seller is on the hook.  I would 100% get priority 2-3 day shipping, insurance and signature on that puppy because until it's physically in the buyers hand, i'm on the hook.  Heck, I just insured a group of books for $125 (when standard insurance only covered $50).  Lastly, what happens if the buyer just takes the book and claims it never arrived.  Seems like the seller would be hosed at that point.

That being said, I also agree that the buyer bears some of the burden for not sorting out shipping prior to payment.  I get that you're trying to maintain a pristine eBay rating and want to issue a timely payment to keep the seller happy, but if you're spending THAT much money, your rating should be secondary and ensuring your purchase is protected should be tantamount.

Edited by ExNihilo

1 hour ago, Squad008 said:

Like the title says, is the following unacceptable or is it just me:

Bought a very expensive CGC graded key off eBay (roughly $6,000).  The Seller has mailed it via USPS Media Mail.  This means no insurance, longer time in the mail, and it doesn't qualify for media mail by USPS standards.  Shipment was sent from an in state seller on Monday, would be 1 day via priority mail but it hasn't arrived yet and who knows when it will arrive.  Can't comment on packaging and won't list eBay seller id because I haven't received the comic yet to find out if there are issues, but all things considered, when someone pays that much for an item, to save a few bucks on shipping by mailing it media mail just seems beyond unacceptable to me.

Am I being unreasonable on this?  

What shipping method did the seller specify in their listing?

20 minutes ago, kav said:

I do not think OP said there was no tracking - I have a sale waiting to ship. I can add tracking and insurance.  USPS will do up to 5K for insurance, the ebay shipcover will do $1000.

Though.... if I were a USPS postmaster -  insured media mail with even 5K insurance deserves a look under the hood......

OP - there is at least some clues you can see in your order-- "economy shipping" comes up as media mail ( you have to click the shipping details).  Standard shipping does not show any specific, and expedited shipping ( for my listings anyway) - is USPS priority.

If there is no tracking -- seller is complete buffoon......

Hopefully things arrive ok - then neutral feedback.

I cannot believe anyone would ship a 6K book like this. I give more though to a $10 book......

image.png.66bc9acd5f59625490fb3bf03acfa94f.png

30 minutes ago, kav said:

Agree with what most have said about this seller.  And how as a seller could you ship any high dollar comic without tracking/delivery confirmation or signature confirmation?  All it takes is a dishonest buyer to claim the book never arrived and the seller is out an expensive comic without recourse!  Crazy if this seller shipped without any form of tracking  ??? 

1 hour ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Why would someone buy such an expensive item and not demand insurance, and registered return receipt?

Did the seller list the method of shipment? If so, did the buyer read it? If so, did the buyer offer to pay for a more secure method?

If the seller did not list the method, why would a buyer expect that the item would be handled in the most secure method, unless the item is not what it seems and the seller knows that? 

A lot of push-back on this topic; are you the seller?

It's on the seller to purchase insurance for the item, opt for tracking, and/or signature upon delivery. If the item does not arrive to the buyer in the condition stated in the listing, all fault (money-wise) is on the seller. That is why the seller is asked if they want insurance when going through eBay's shipping process and not the buyer at the time of purchase. It is up to the seller to build this in to the cost (item + shipping); if he/she chooses to skimp on this part, it comes back to them.

Yes, the buyer could have made more inquiries into specific shipping, but it is still not a guarantee of method and/or secure packing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe PayPal has a $750.00 threshold after which signature confirmation is required for a seller to win a dispute of "goods not received"?  Delivery confirmation alone would not be enough.  Unless this policy has changed

Edited by mosconi