• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting a Sig on a Pedigree

15 posts in this topic

I have Gotten Books Deslabbed by CGC and Signed and reslabbed (Gets Pricey but one book took 7 years to complete) but one issue I have now is a Book I want Someone to Sign is From a Pedigree.  Now I Collect this particular Pedigree for specific issues or Artists but never had a SS on it.  But it is arguably one of my favorite covers by this artist.  Will CGC recognize the Pedigree AFTER it is signed?  Note is says it on the label

As long as the documentation is in place, it will retain the designation.  I have had a couple of minor Pedigree books signed over the years - a Winnipeg Omega #1 and one of the Western Penn Nick Fury #1s (there are several). Both had been recognized on the previous slab, and I indicated as such on the paperwork for the SS books. Both retained their designation.

There are a couple of books that will lose their designation - Mile High II will go away because it is no longer recognized by CGC.  I believe that there are some books with a Manitoba designation that will also not be retained, but I am not positive about that (old age is a beeyotch).

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

As long as the documentation is in place, it will retain the designation.  I have had a couple of minor Pedigree books signed over the years - a Winnipeg Omega #1 and one of the Western Penn Nick Fury #1s (there are several). Both had been recognized on the previous slab, and I indicated as such on the paperwork for the SS books. Both retained their designation.

There are a couple of books that will lose their designation - Mile High II will go away because it is no longer recognized by CGC.  I believe that there are some books with a Manitoba designation that will also not be retained, but I am not positive about that (old age is a beeyotch).

On 5/10/2018 at 9:32 AM, Jaydee said:

I have Gotten Books Deslabbed by CGC and Signed and reslabbed (Gets Pricey but one book took 7 years to complete) but one issue I have now is a Book I want Someone to Sign is From a Pedigree.  Now I Collect this particular Pedigree for specific issues or Artists but never had a SS on it.  But it is arguably one of my favorite covers by this artist.  Will CGC recognize the Pedigree AFTER it is signed?  Note is says it on the label

I'm sure CGC will recognize the Pedigree but, IMO, you are desecrating the Pedigree. Part of the appeal about collecting pedigree comics is that books from the same pedigree will have the same uniform feel from aging in the same environment. Adding a signature negates that originality and uniformity. I would consider simply leaving the Pedigree designation off. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm sure CGC will recognize the Pedigree but, IMO, you are desecrating the Pedigree. Part of the appeal about collecting pedigree comics is that books from the same pedigree will have the same uniform feel from aging in the same environment. Adding a signature negates that originality and uniformity. I would consider simply leaving the Pedigree designation off. 

That is also a concern.   That is why i am torn.  It isn not a key, but a great cover by the cover artist, but also the pedigree i collect

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Agree completely - I view any signature on the cover as desecration.  On the inside splash in a margin OK but not on the cover.

Get another copy if you want a signature. 2c

On 5/12/2018 at 2:56 PM, pemart1966 said:

Get another copy if you want a signature. 2c

Absolutely agree. 

I am of the very firm opinion that pedigree books should NOT be signed...or even pressed. 

Don't ruin the pedigree! 

*update/warning*

Apparently getting a sig on a Pedigree no longer qualifies it for a Pedigree. Just happened to someone in a FB group.

When did this go into effect?

It was a Suscha News Pedigree on an Avengers #93.

"That's the policy CGC informed me of today when I inquired why the pedigree didn't transfer over. CGC doesn't pedigree SS books."