• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ACTION COMICS 15 - GOOD DEAL OR NO ?

25 posts in this topic

Hello, I am fairly new to this site but I always enjoyed reading the forums. This is my first post and I would really appreciate everyone's insight. After doing some research on various websites (ebay, comic connect, comic Realm, CGC forum etc.). I have noticed prices and values fluctuate when you sit and compare the various different price guides. So it can be difficult to nail down a price that one would think is a good deal or not. So,  I finally made the plunge and purchased Action Comics 15 (sups 5th cover appearance) . I purchased it for 2700.00. I want everyone's thoughts and opinions on this matter. Did I get a good deal, did i over pay, did I pay market price ? Some insight would be really nice, thank you and I will be waiting for your responses. 

AC15.jpg

for cgc comics, there's a pay-service called GPA analysis that tells you all the 'recorded' prices for sales of given books/grades across many (but not all) different websites/auction houses.  that will give you an idea of where you are in the market with pricing.  Most serious buyers (and less serious) buyers check with GPA to 'help' with their valuations.  It's not the end all be all, but its a good reference. 

There's other factors to think about, especially on older lower grade books like page quality, wrap, chipping, tape or other tears, etc, and those all affect the value to a given individual, but it sounds like you understand it can be subjective.

With that being said, I think its about right, in a reasonable range, since it presents REALLY well from the front for the grade.  But I don't care about tape and PQ too much. 

Last 2 sales with GPA averaged over $4700 with 2.0 copies. The slightly brittle pages would personally bother me as the book will only drop in grade much sooner than if it had higher quality pages. That 2.0 may turn into a 1.8 or lower in the future.

27 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Last 2 sales with GPA averaged over $4700 with 2.0 copies. The slightly brittle pages would personally bother me as the book will only drop in grade much sooner than if it had higher quality pages. That 2.0 may turn into a 1.8 or lower in the future.

I agree Phil, that's the same thing that concerned me...

Given that the exact same item sold for $3,226 in a Heritage auction a few days ago... I'm guessing your "$2,700" buy was before the buyer's premium is included?

In any case, it seems a reasonable enough price for a book that presents pretty well. I wouldn't worry too much about "slightly brittle" - it might mean just one spot on the comic, not the whole pages (which would be "brittle pages"). Did you buy the grader's notes to see what they say before buying this book for $3,226?

5 hours ago, AJD said:

Given that the exact same item sold for $3,226 in a Heritage auction a few days ago... I'm guessing your "$2,700" buy was before the buyer's premium is included?

In any case, it seems a reasonable enough price for a book that presents pretty well. I wouldn't worry too much about "slightly brittle" - it might mean just one spot on the comic, not the whole pages (which would be "brittle pages"). Did you buy the grader's notes to see what they say before buying this book for $3,226?

Buying for $2700 is different than buying for $3200

still in the range though

Sorry. 3200 is correct. It's my first time buying from HA. And when I put in my final bid for 2700 and found out I won. But forgot to add the freaking 19 percent fee. I just got so excited when it showed me that I had won and my max was 2700 bucks. 

I'm probably never going to be able afford Action 1 or 7. This seems the closest and earliest appearance of sups I'll probably be able to get my hands on. It's just nice having a piece of history. Being able to show my kids, family, friends. 

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

I have to wonder if the book would get a higher grade if the tape was removed?

Tape looks fresh and probably not easily removed. Would probably result in tearing the cover. If the tape is only at the top of the spine, it's probably not factored into the grade.

15 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Tape looks fresh and probably not easily removed. Would probably result in tearing the cover. If the tape is only at the top of the spine, it's probably not factored into the grade.

The tape is factored into the grade.  CGC's "new" stance is to consider tape a defect.  In the "old days", this book would have received a higher grade.  

Just now, comicdonna said:

The tape is factored into the grade.  CGC's "new" stance is to consider tape a defect.  In the "old days", this book would have received a higher grade.  

Not necessarily true. If a book is lower grade and has just small tape, it does nothing to the grade. If it's say mid-grade, but the entire spine has a strip of tape, then it will factor in. It all depends on the severity and the grade of the comic without the tape.

5 hours ago, navs said:

Sorry. 3200 is correct. It's my first time buying from HA. And when I put in my final bid for 2700 and found out I won. But forgot to add the freaking 19 percent fee. I just got so excited when it showed me that I had won and my max was 2700 bucks. 

19.5%  (thumbsu  Beside that HA, I have seen 23% to 25% buyer's premium on all other online auctions. My favorite local auction company told me to stay home to bid online instead bidding onsite auction - 20% online vs 25% onsite auction. It seemed no concept.

Got it paid via credit card and since it was my first time, the didn't charge me the 3 percent fee !!!!! ^^. Hopefully i will have it my hands by the end of this week.