• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. Joe: SNAKE EYES (2020)
2 2

144 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2018 at 6:28 AM, Bosco685 said:

I agree on the hero side. But as villains, who doesn't remember Zartan, Baroness, Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow?

Destro is another one. But I think first four rank higher.

I always thought of Zartan as the "jumping the shark" villain in GI Joe.  He was not in the original release of characters and I remember thinking he just didn't fit in with his skills.  Storm Shadow was awesome, especially when he became conflicted and seemed to have his own agenda and not just following the Commander.  Cobra Commander's character development was pretty shallow also but Destro's was pretty good.

My ranking:

1.  Storm Shadow

2.  Destro

3.  Baroness

4.  Cobra Commander

5.  Zartan

Edited by TTony

This may come as news to some people, but there has been a Snake Eyes movie in development for some time now. I wouldn’t blame you for not hearing of this project as the marketing for this project has been little to none so far.

The film was initially set to release this October, however, due to delays related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the film was delayed until sometime in 2021.

Even though the general audience won’t get to see the G.I. Joe spin-off until next year this doesn’t mean that members of the cast and crew won’t get to see it. In fact, the star of the film Henry Golding has seen the film and had some kind words to say about the film.

Now, it is important to note that of course, the star of the film is going to speak highly of it. However, the thing that has gotten people talking is his “cookie-cutter” comment.

Whether or not the comment is accurate will have to be determined when the film comes out. However, it is interesting to see the actor speak so highly of the film, so we will have to see if the hype is warranted in 2021.

Even though the upcoming film has been delayed by a year, the star and producers of the upcoming Snake Eyes solo movie have high hopes for its potential. Crazy Rich Asians star Henry Golding suits up as the titular GI Joe character in the film and ignited the hype fires for the movie earlier this year after he tweeted about watching a cut of the film. "Just saw (Snake emoji)..." he wrote on Twitter. "Holy hell. This is the exact opposite of the cookie cutter, super people movies. Wow. You guys are in for something insane, I can't wait for you all to get your mits on this beast. Yowzers!!!! Literally grinning from ear to ear." Now he's back with more fuel for the fire, teasing the franchise that they're hoping to start with the film.

"I think the heart of the story really is who Snake is and his journey as a person, really. Understanding his motivations," Golding told Entertainment Weekly in a new interview. "I can't give away too much, but it really focuses on the one person instead of having 20 people on screen and understanding background. We start from the beginning. And, hopefully, this launches an amazing franchise."

The new movie will act as a prequel for the character, showing how he became the strong and silent warrior we all know and love, while also wiping the slate clean and starting over fresh as a franchise.

Directed by Robert Schwentke (The Divergent Series) the film will also feature plenty of other familiar faces from the lore of GI Joe that fans know and love, no doubt setting the stage for its franchise future. Among those set to appear include Samara Weaving (Ready or Not) as Scarlett, Ursula Corbero (La casa de papel) as The Baroness, Iko Uwais (The Raid) as Hard Master, with Andrew Koji (Warrior) as Storm Shadow, and Steve Allerick as Snake Eyes' father. Haruka Abe (Emerald City) has been cast as well in a currently-unknown role.

The next G.I. Joe movie, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins, will be a character-centric story focusing on Snake Eyes' relationship with fellow ninja Storm Shadow. That's according to star Henry Golding and seminal G.I. Joe comics writer Larry Hama. Both participated in the Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins panel at this weekend's virtual Comic Con Experience event. Golding plays the title character in the new spinoff movie, which is an origin story for Snake Eyes. Andrew Koji plays Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes' blood brother frequently torn between those loyalties and whomever his current employer may be.

"G.I. Joe is all about redemption, kindness, and loyalty," Hama added. Golding then specified that the movie would focus on the two ninjas. "You see Snake Eyes' weaknesses, his faults. He tries to make amends for what he has done."

Hama also said that the movie would focus more on the characters more than the past films, which captured the larger scale of G.I. Joe's conflict with Cobra. With Golding and Koji, the film stars Iko Uwais as Hard Master, Úrsula Corberó as Baroness, Samara Weaving as Scarlett, and Peter Mensah as Blind Master, as well as Haruka Abe, Takehiro Hira, and Steven Allerick. Robert Schwentke directed the film from a -script by Evan Spiliotopoulos.

In September, Golding confirmed that the movie robots the G.I. Joe film franchise. "Snake Eyes has just blown me away," he told NME. "They've recreated G.I. Joe into something very cool and a far throw from what we've seen thus far on the big screen. I think there's room for many spinoffs, to be honest. This, I think, will be the launch of a brand-new franchise.

I saw that and I get hopeful... then I see the Hasbro team say this and I am broken down again... 

https://toy-wizards.com/2020/12/04/g-i-joe-classified-repaints-and-more-on-the-way-for-2021/?fbclid=IwAR3lnDC3lt8DihXZZeq5nqoY8dBUXRFDVKRB0p3CxHr30RSY1vbLE4mlqGQ

Hasbro did not anticipate such a demand for GI Joe figures. This is problematic on a few fronts. 

As you know, toy lines are planned out at least a year to a year and a half from their impending release date.   These lines were planned and ordered in numbers pre-covid-shutdown.   Now many collectors have assumed that people were buying the new GI Joe figures to hoard, scalp and sit on.  Turns out there are far less out there than people realized.  That means that Hasbro did not anticipate the demand and did not produce the demanded quantity to tie into their IN HOUSE intellectual property.   This leads us to two scenarios. 

Glass half full:   Covid-19 might have saved GI Joe by delaying this movie.   GI Joe is a very different animal than a lot of toy lines.  GI Joe NEEDS successful media to thrive.  The property will sell to the collectors, for sure.  However it needs successful media to grow the fanbase.  It could be because they are war toys. It could be because they are humans with accessories that do not have a video game... it doesn't matter exactly why.  GI Joe is not Transformers where kids will gravitate to a big robot with a gun that can be turned into their favorite Jet fighter or car.   If the GI Joe movie is delayed, that gives Hasbro the opportunity to quickly restock the shelves and order a second wave of production using existing molds.  Now, that is what it looks like they are doing, as they announced they are revisiting the first wave of figures with new paint apps. 

Glass half empty:  Hasbro just cannot get it together and while they might be able to fix the product support for this movie, they clearly do not know their own property as they continually bungle almost every line they have in the 'boys toys aisle' except for Transformers and Marvel.   (Star Wars is getting much better but unless you preorder you are not finding anything of interest on the shelves that a kid can point to with fascination and take it home.)

We will see... I want to be a glass half full guy here but Hasbro has been showing me since around 2008 why the betting line should drift toward glass half empty. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Paramount has bumped up the release date of their Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins to July 2021. The solo film stars Henry Golding (Crazy Rich Asians) as the title character based on the popular toyline. The film is set as both a spin-off and reboot to the G.I Joe film franchise, whose last entry was G.I Joe: Retaliation in 2013.

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins was originally set to open in October 2020 but was delayed to October 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The marketing for the film had just started to get underway with the first look at the new toys unveiled, which are set to hit shelves in November, just in time for the holiday season. With the success of Godzilla vs. Kong in both the domestic and international box office, it appears that Paramount is willing to take a chance at their latest attempt at the G.I Joe franchise with a summer release date.